Fathers Day Weekend Fishing Derby

We still have the "You da Man" banana cup. This will now be a derby that caters to both the serious derby anglers and also the people who just want to have a lot of fun with lots of prizes awarded for just registering a catch. We will also have raffle prizes available at the wind up. As an example we talked about giving a prize for the largest fish caught with proof that you had real bananas on board for the entire derby!! Big cash prize and a lot of fun.

BTW..I've stepped back this year from heading this up as a Father's Day weekend event is in conflict with my fishing season. I couldn't guarantee that I could be there right until the end being the go to guy. So I spoke with Chris Bos after last years derby and told him I was prepared to take on important tasks leading up to the event, but couldn't commit to helping on the actual weekend. So we do have a few people involved and Chris is going to be the go to guy. He is responsible for bringing the Alpine Group on board this year. I'll take credit for what I do but also want to make sure everyone gets credit for their jobs well done.

Yes this year 300 regular tickets and then major sponsors will have some as well. Next year the plan is to go to 500 tickets and then that will be the final increase. Those who participated this year get in first if they choose to. Once it is sold out...well you know how it went with the old derby....a long wait. Next year the extra ticket available will also mean a larger cash prize, similar to what we had before.

We still have the "You da Man" banana cup. This will now be a derby that caters to both the serious derby anglers and also the people who just want to have a lot of fun with lots of prizes awarded for just registering a catch. We will also have raffle prizes available at the wind up. As an example we talked about giving a prize for the largest fish caught with proof that you had real bananas on board for the entire derby!! Big cash prize and a lot of fun.

Ouch! that would cause beads of sweat to form on the foreheads of the no bananas on a boat superstitious types who are convinced it is bad luck. Could be worth it just for that. I have had some local guides ask and won't let you on their boat if you show up with Bananas and make you eat them or leave them before you board. I won't rat them out but it does match the theme and I would duct tape a banana to the radar arch or boat safety railings for the duration of the Derby if you decide to do it. On the other hand, if we don't catch any fish it may be coming down for future years.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone on the lower mainland would like tickets to the derby I will be at he Tradex Sportsman Show in Abbottsford this Saturday. If you pm me we can arrange to meet somewhere on site. I will also have the SVIAC memberships with me as well so you could get the tickets for $100 per rod.

I have all the tickets printed and the vendor packages are done as well. Just waiting on the window stickers to be in my hands (hopefully tomorrow) and I can get the tickets out there. I hope to have tickets at Island Outfitters, Wise Buys, Alpine Marine, Eagle Eye and Pedder Bay Marina.

I will be picking up the finished window stickers this morning and will have derby tickets out to the vendors today. Wise Buys have stepped up with a very generous offer for anyone who will be purchasing derby tickets. If you are not already a paid up member of SVIAC and you buy derby tickets from them, they will cover $20 of the membership cost. So you will get your derby tickets for $100 each instead of $120 each and your membership will be $20 instead of $40. Wise Buys is very keen on seeing the SVAC membership grow and that the group is successful in their mission.
This is a very generous offer and I hope those who take them up on it will in kind support them when they make their next fishing purchases. Our other ticket outlets are Island Outfitters, Alpine Marine, Pedder Bay Marina and Eagle Eye .
Those who ordered tickets at the boat show I have those set aside and we will be getting them to you next week. I'll be at the Tradex show this Saturday and will have tickets and memberships with me as well if anyone wants some.

Tickets are now available, all the vendors have a supply. Our plan is to hold a get together with ticket holders the week before the derby at the Alpine Marine Store for a derby breifing, some food and possibly some beverage. We would also have the side bet (or jackpot) available that night as well. The jackpot will be $100 per boat with 100% going to the winner.

So what about the guys that stepped up and got the ball rolling by buying tickets and memberships at the boat show for 140$. Is it to late for them to get the 20$ credit from Wise-Buys. I don't want to rattle the cage but i like to save a buck wherever i can. I like Wise-Buys and buy stuff there, and like the guys there and all. I don't like the fact that because some guys jumped on it early they lose out on 20$. Someone tell me i am being an butt.

I'm in the same boat as you Cam. Bought my tickets at the boat show, same time as I re-upped with SVIAC.

I did same we got two tickets and renewed.........But if I can request extra goes to SVIAC donation if any change.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure something can be arrange in this regard, guys. Totally agree that the early birds should not be punished. Just give Rollie a second to breathe as he has a lot to take care of for this all. Stay tuned. Cheers!

I understand where Wise- Buys is coming from offering a little incentive to get more fisher's in the door and hopefully make it up on sales, that's good business for sure. We all know what it cost to go fishing and do derby's ect... $$$ - i buy second hand gear all the time to make my fishing budget work. I also appreciate the work of others that get more involved than i do organizing events and voluntering at hatcheries, and so forth,so i do feel like a a bit of a whiner. Just putting it out there how i feel and the last thing i want to do is create another headache for the organizers. Hey , 20$ = 3 packs of bait. Maybe wise-buys wants to give every one 3 packs of bait when they come in and buy there membership and derby ticket for 140$. It is what it is, but might be something to think about next time. wah-wah-... wah... please pass the cheese

Kinda sux as a card carrying sviac member it's more expensive to enter than a new member

Wish I would have waited to renew now

I can understand why those folks who bought memberships and derby tickets early are a bit annoyed, but I think we need to keep this in context. What has happened is just that, it just happened and there was no intent to penalize early birds.

If I understand it right, this very supportive and generous deal that Wise Buys is offering to help support SVIAC is something they have done on their own initiative and something that SVIAC had no control over the timing and the details. SVIAC is very thankful about this generous support. As a new, local, volunteer society this kind of support makes a huge difference in how much they can do.

In the future SVIAC can try to do a better job coordinating if they are involved before any deals are offered, but they cannot control the generosity of those in the community, nor would anyone want to.

Ultimately, IMHO this is about donating to an organization trying to improve our local fisheries and all those that depend on them, and not so much about finding the best deal out there.

This in just my personal opinion of a local rec fisherman and doesn't represent any official position of SVIAC.

Just got back from Vancouver and the sportsman show. I was able to read the thread on my I-pad but it wouldn't let me post. Anyway we will come up with some solution to this. I can't make that call on my own as our board has to be consulted and vote on whatever we as a group decide. One solution I may bring forward would be to grant those who bought tickets and memberships early this year get their next years membership for $20 if they buy derby tickets in 2015. I think we sold 53 derby tickets which based on 2-3 rods per membership means we are talking about 25 members who are effected. How do you guys feel about that solution? We want to be fair. We had no idea this offer from Wise Buys would be on the table when we were at the boat show, it came up later.

Back