F350 Steering Issue anybody have any Ideas?

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
So I brought my truck in to have an alignment done today as the steering wheel is off center after a long trip on a gravel road last year. The shop has check the alignment and its dead on no issues but they have found that when you turn the wheel to the left the steering wheel comes back to center but if you turn the steering wheel all the way to right it doesn't come back to center.

History here is that I replaced the all the suspension parts about 5000Km ago including all ball joints, bushings, steering box. You name it I replaced it in my rebuild of the front end. It was also fine before the long Moose hunting trip.

Alignment guys doesn't have any idea what it might be. Anybody have any ideas of what to check

CPM

I've found that not all alignment shops / racks are created equal. Is there any play in the front wheel bearings / hubs?

Hubs and bearings where all replaced

Noluck I will ask them what they think about that but I would think you would have to hit something pretty hard to bend that shaft. The trip was long 800k on a dirt road but we didn’t have any incidents where we hit something hard enough where I thought **** we broke something. The shop is guessing steering box too so I guess it’s coming back out and going back to red head for a check

Hubs and bearings where all replaced

Noluck I will ask them what they think about that but I would think you would have to hit something pretty hard to bend that shaft. The trip was long 800k on a dirt road but we didn’t have any incidents where we hit something hard enough where I thought **** we broke something. The shop is guessing steering box too so I guess it’s coming back out and going back to red head for a check
800 kms on logging road? where the heck did you go out of curiosity ?

2nd the steering box start there once you have so much slop in the sector shaft where the pitman arm bolts to, your wheel will be all over the place. Make sure you put in a good new box or a professional red head steering box out of the US well worth the coin.

sounds like you need to find a better shop that knows their front ends and steering components... lol

They have identified a Lf front bearing that needs to be replaced, kind of pissed about that one as I replaced it in 2020 and it has 15k KM on it. Hoping to talk to lordco about warrantee on that one.

The shop is certain that its the sector shaft play in the steering box. Its a brand new Redhead box installed last July. Already have warrantee claim in with the local distributor. They are going to inspect it on Wednesday next week.

Not looking forward to taking it back out was a pain the first time...

They have identified a Lf front bearing that needs to be replaced, kind of pissed about that one as I replaced it in 2020 and it has 15k KM on it. Hoping to talk to lordco about warrantee on that one.

The shop is certain that its the sector shaft play in the steering box. Its a brand new Redhead box installed last July. Already have warrantee claim in with the local distributor. They are going to inspect it on Wednesday next week.

Not looking forward to taking it back out was a pain the first time...
if the steering wheel changes where it is centered, and drives normal you have a bent sector shaft. there is no other possibility's

Most of the time a sector shaft will bend or twist the splines in the shaft. Pull the pitman arm and have a decco.
this as well, but I've only every seen twisting or bends on vehicles that have hit things like logs, rocks or other vehicles lol especially if the drag link is the main point of contact.

Great news redhead is covering it under warranty ! Super happy about that. Unforutely they have also found a worn out tie bar end and track bar ball joint. disappointing as I replace all of these components last June. Am I wrong in thinking that moog makes quality parts? I thought I was buying quality but seem moog parts are junk. Anybody have a recommendation for quality suspension parts?

Great news redhead is covering it under warranty ! Super happy about that. Unforutely they have also found a worn out tie bar end and track bar ball joint. disappointing as I replace all of these components last June. Am I wrong in thinking that moog makes quality parts? I thought I was buying quality but seem moog parts are junk. Anybody have a recommendation for quality suspension parts?
TTX is the only front end I sell nowadays, far superior quality higher price point but well worth it. Those track bar ball joints fail often and are missed 99% of the time when guys do front end inspections! You have to really look at that stuff hard when dealing with f350's! im glad redhead came to the table they do make amazing products and stuff happens. Moog does have a decent warranty period you might want to talk to your shop about that... do they not offer warranty on their work less then 1 year old?

Carli or Thuren. Not sure what they offer for your truck but I just ordered Thuren for my dodge . .

Back