Exchanging Money

Sitkaspruce

So we are planning on doing the Thanksgiving weekend trip down to the States and visit Cabelas, among other things.

So the question is, do we exchnage up here or do we wait until we get to Bellis Fair. That used to be the place, but have not been down in 8 years, so not sure any more.

Any suggeations would be great.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

You will do better exchanging your money in Canada. BTW....we thought Cabellas was disappointing. Great looking building and wonderful displays, but prices were no better than anywhere else down there. Some items that are kind of unique to BC fishing were kind of scarce.
If your into guns, clothes, and camping there is lots to see.

quote:If your into guns, clothes, and camping there is lots to see.

Oh he is!!!:D

You must have been a REALLY good boy lately Ken!!!

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

We've been to 5 Cabelas now, the one in Lacey is very good.

Even if your wife is into the outdoors you'll still be excited when she is long since bored, so scout out some local malls for her to go to when she ditches you in there!

Oh, yeah, the restaurant is good too - good lunches of things you can't find everywhere.

I always like to scour the aisles for weird things that you just don't see here.
In the past I've picked up things like Managed Recoil ammo for my daughter's 7-08, I can't even ORDER it in Canada.

Exchange $ here at your regular bank.

Smiley.

Re the lunch counter in Lacey. Pass on the buffalo burger. Dry like sawdust..[xx(]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Or just use the Visa and get the points.

do not change your money at your bank unless you want to be ripped off. they will charge uou 5+% over what the actual rate is. the best way to do it is use your atm card down there (preferably at a bank atm w/cirus) or use your credit card down there, either way you get the actual posted rate of exchange the day of your transaction without paying any exhorbitant bank commissions, ( you will pay an atm fee of 2-3 bucks but that's it).most money exchange shops in town give better rates than the banks, i use saramat (not the right spelling but close i think) which are not bad. i just get a coupla hundred to get me down there then use atm or credit cards. i go to vegas a few times a year so it adds up. i set my account up so i can withdraw up to a grand a day. works like a charm.
cheers and gl ferret

Don't use your credit card at the ATM or you'll be whipped as many as three exchange commissions... Says so on your cardholder agreements.

Use your debit card at the ATM and you'll be hit twice unless it's your own bank, or shop with the credit card. Cash or the credit card shopping are the best two.

In Mexico, w/Scotia debit card, at a Scotia machine is best exchange rate of any.

Currency Exchange is a good place to swap cash, here in Victoria.

agreed, do not use credit card on atm only on a direct transaction, i should've made that clearer. use only debit cards on the atm. credit card on an atm is your worst option either here or abroad as you are charged interest on your whole balance for the month even if you pay it off at the end of every month. this is your worst option, use it only as a last resort. hopefully nobody took my previous post as a recommendation to use this method.
cheers and gl ferret

Personally... I would exchange just enough that I needed or was comfortable with, and I would do that in BC! Anywhere in BC (except the local stores) will charge you less than anywhere down here, including banks! The rest, I would put on my "credit card", not my debit! You have more protection on a CC than you do on your debit card!

Back