Evinrude 90 VRO 1988

Southoman65

G’day gents I am looking at purchasing this 1988 Quintrex FishMaster with an Evinrude 90 Hp VRO I know the hull inside out
Never owned an Evinrude 90 VRO
I have heard about 90 degree and 60 degree motors ?
Any feedback would be much appreciated
Craig
Queensland Australia

Attachments

• 0E29E029-ABB3-4EE1-BB50-ADD4015B1BD7.jpeg
    0E29E029-ABB3-4EE1-BB50-ADD4015B1BD7.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 127E896E-D461-45E7-803E-D3B5D51084B0.jpeg
    127E896E-D461-45E7-803E-D3B5D51084B0.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 32
First gen VRO 1984-85 had pump fail problems, led to low or no oil and engine failure. From 1986 onward was VRO2, redesigned fuel-oil combined pump with the addition of a no oil alarm and proved to be very reliable. Much damage done to OMC reputation by the first gen problems, notorious even now, 35 years later.

Premix is not ideal as 50:1 is too much oil at idle and off-idle, plugs foul and prone to stalling/rough idle, more oil consumed than necessary and more emissions. VRO - Variable Ratio Oiling - was a solution to this, with as little as 100:1 at low rpm but increasing with engine speed to ensure adequate lubrication as load increased.

First gen VRO 1984-85 had pump fail problems, led to low or no oil and engine failure. From 1986 onward was VRO2, redesigned fuel-oil combined pump with the addition of a no oil alarm and proved to be very reliable. Much damage done to OMC reputation by the first gen problems, notorious even now, 35 years later.

Premix is not ideal as 50:1 is too much oil at idle and off-idle, plugs foul and prone to stalling/rough idle, more oil consumed than necessary and more emissions. VRO - Variable Ratio Oiling - was a solution to this, with as little as 100:1 at low rpm but increasing with engine speed to ensure adequate lubrication as load increased.
Understood thanks

The VRO2 pump failed as well. Rrson was the diagram would start to get stiff over time. There is something in oil that makes rubber and other plastic materials hard. Those pumps would fail always when they needed the most oil delivery. Worked great until it didn't lol

Other than that the ld school 90 degree engines such as that one were mechanically awsome.

The VRO2 pump failed as well. Rrson was the diagram would start to get stiff over time. There is something in oil that makes rubber and other plastic materials hard. Those pumps would fail always when they needed the most oil delivery. Worked great until it didn't lol

Other than that the ld school 90 degree engines such as that one were mechanically awsome.

Yeah I ran on old VRO on one of my old boats. 6 years when I had it I always mixed fuel. First thing I did was get rid of tank.

It never got gummed up in my experience from changing it.

Yeah I ran on old VRO on one of my old boats. 6 years when I had it I always mixed fuel. First thing I did was get rid of tank.

It never got gummed up in my experience from changing it.
Yes that does makes sense mate !
Listen guys thank you for your input much appreciated
Kindest regards
Craig

All 2 strokes are hard on plugs at idle. Plugs are cheap for those anyway. Those engines would last for thousands of hours. As long as the mix was nice and kept up on maintenence. Best of the best right there. They invented that design.

I have a 1996 200HP Johnson Ocean Pro, 2 stroke engine, took off the VRO in 2011 and been mixing it myself since , solid like a rock and yes it smokes like crazy, just make sure the winds blowing it away from you or your running . Once a buddy of mine made the mistake on startup to be at the stern looking close at something in the wash well and yup the wind was blowing right up his nose and he took the full brunt of start up fumes, damn near knocked him on his butt, needless to say he had a major headache after, but alls well 6 years later, for some reason he quit bugging me to take him fishin Haha

I have a 1996 200HP Johnson Ocean Pro, 2 stroke engine, took off the VRO in 2011 and been mixing it myself since , solid like a rock and yes it smokes like crazy, just make sure the winds blowing it away from you or your running . Once a buddy of mine made the mistake on startup to be at the stern looking close at something in the wash well and yup the wind was blowing right up his nose and he took the full brunt of start up fumes, damn near knocked him on his butt, needless to say he had a major headache after, but alls well 6 years later, for some reason he quit bugging me to take him fishin Haha
G’day thanks mate, and your Buddy was lucky on that one !

Back