90 HP Evinrude Ram Ficht

Steelhead S2

I recently picked up a 17' Whaler equipped with a 90 HP Evinrude Ram Ficht. I know the Fichts have had serious problems, but I'd like opinions and stories from your own experiences. Maybe some tips on how to avoid catastrophe (repowering is NOT an option :) )

I bought the package from someone I know, so I have a good sense of the background. The engine is a 2000. After the seller bought it, it was only used a couple of times. But it has been fired up a few times every year to keep it happy. Other than it's age, it is basically a new engine. I've had it out a few times in the past, including once since I bought it, and there have never been any issues.

The package was a great deal, and I will run it till I win the lottery or something needs replacing. But I'd like to know what to expect.

I don't think you'll have the problems associated with the v6 150 & 175 motors
(which were basically time bombs.)
The v4 ficht motors were actually pretty reliable and non problematic.
With little time on it, you'll likely get years of use out of it.

good luck !

I graduated from Ficht University (got every degree you could get from that sorry institution)

I had a 150 which as rsc pointed out, was generally associated with the majority of the Ficht problems (150's and 175's were the problem children) but I'm not entirely convinced if you only heard about the 150's and 175's due to statistical reasons or mechanical reasons (way more ownership of the bigger block engines then the smaller block engines resulted in hearing about the problems associated with them to a greater degree etc)

Bottom line-- the Ficht disaster was due to sale's and marketing guys trumping the concerns of the engineering guys --- in a promotional zeal they shoved an untested product out into a consumer market waaay before it was ready for prime-time TV---the technology still had bugs and required additional engineering but someone in corporate hell decided that the consumer would make a good beta tester for an unproven outboard technology...

The failures were mostly lubrication related--they ran too lean. But there were other issues--- parts made in Mexico on the cheap (that engine came out right on the heels of the NAFTA era)

I spent thousand and thousands of dollars on stators, regulator rectifiers and everything in-between.

My favorite moment---I had to buy the engine (for the second time) from my ex-wife in a divorce decree and about 5 minutes after I signed the check there was an ungodly high-pitched squeal and a piece of hot metal shot through the cowling....it was a magical moment for me, knowing I could finally go out and get a Yamaha with a clear conscience.... thank God she broke down in front of the take-out ramp

So Mr. Steelhead---minimal hours on an older outboard is a two-edged sword--- good news that the hours are low but bad news that it sat around unused for all those years---outboards like to be treated like you just stole them ---sitting around is what happens when you own them.....

What my mechanic said about FICHT ownership---high RPM's all the time, don't lug them....ever.....

And best advice of all (my personal advice.......do not go out on the water without a reliable kicker as back-up----that goes for all main engines, but especially the Fichts. I broke down in Desolation Sound with the wife and kids---kicker saved the trip

But my Honda 150 also broke down in Blackfish Sound (I hit a log and toasted the flukes on the prop) ---kicker saved that trip, too

good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 2000 FICHT 200 h.p. that was babied by the original owner and well maintained. I did the same. Top quality synthetic 2 stroke oil (Evinrude 100 or Mercury Gold 100). He had it for the first 400 hours, I had it for the last 200 hours. At 604 hours, the engine would consistenly de-rate and go into "limp" mode due to an overheat issue. I had the compression checked and #6 cylinder (lower cylinder on the port side) had 80lb. of compression and should have been 135 and the cylinder walls were badly scored. Lordship told me it could last 500 more hours or 5 minutes, but that 5 minutes was more likely. Rebuild cost would be $7500 and no guarantees of long term reliabilty. I also asked Murray if he wanted to buy the motor off of me for $1500 bucks, He was not interested. That told me alot about how Evinrude mechanics and dealerships felt about the FICHT. This was my excuse to pooch the motor and go to a Yamaha. I am lucky to have a very understanding wife. ;-)

Moreover to your point about issues to watch, I know that the #6 cylinder was the most likely one to lose lubrication on the 6 cylinder 200's. I am not sure if that would be the same for #4 cylinder on the 4's but I would have Murray at Lordship scope all the cylinders to look at the walls and check their condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back