Evinrude 9.9 problem

Whaase

I got this motor for free from a co worker. As you can see it has zip ties on it lol if I pull the head in and out it seems like the bracket that goes from the upper mount to the upper leg is loose? I'm not sure how I can fix it? Anyone ever seen this or had this issue?

b22e03e2.jpg

Thanks

Go to tiptons outboards in Lake cowichan. They have a pile of old engines that you can get parts off.

Cut off the zap straps and find out what's broken. It's not safe to use if those zap straps are holding the midsection to the mounting bracket.

I'll cut them and see. No idea what he was doing. I've been googling trying to find something to show me how it's supposed to go together, cant find anything

Go to shop2.evinrude.com. Pick your year and motor for the list. The diagram you are looking for is the exhaust housing diagram.

If you take pics as you take it apart post them and I'll try to help.

Attachments

• erude1975.jpg
    erude1975.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 263
Looking at the parts diagram I can't see what holds the steering mount to the actual leg?

12.png

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be two bolts that go through number 51 in the diagram but it's hard to say. I'd just cut the straps, clean off that grease and get a good look in there to see if it's obvious what's missing. It might be stripped bolts or broken bolts that the previous owner didn't or couldn't fix.

Back