ETec --Yammi Comparison

I repowered my boat this year from Honda to the new 225hp ETEC and all I can say is wow what difference , the ETEC has exceeded all my expectations. The fuel economy was a added bonus.

V6 vrs i4 not a fair comparison imo.
Curious why you would say this, I don't understand its relevance?

Are they not comparing one 200hp outboard to another?

People compare hp ratings between V8s and inline 6 diesels all day long, however smaller displacement inline 6 pulls (usually out pulls lol) every bit that the bigger displacement V8s do, why, because at a given rpm hp is hp....... period.

Typically, naturally aspirated 4s outboards ( forced induction is Mercurys work around this) don't make their HP ratings until close to their max operating rpm, where as most 2s make their max hp 20-25% before max rpm.
So, the etec is making 200hp at 4500rpm and actually loosing hp as it goes up to 6000 but the yammi is somewhere around 140hp at 4500 and doesn't hit 200hp until 6k.
Heres a dyne graph with 150hp engines to show the difference, 3700rpm on the 2s is roughly the same hp as 5k on the 4s, where do you like to run at cruise?

150-HP_Engines.png
IMO the 2s are better suited engines in the marine world however, they were ugly motors in the past, terribly inefficient and noisy but the new generation 2s has changed all that and more.

IMO the 2s are better suited engines in the marine world however, they were ugly motors in the past, terribly inefficient and noisy but the new generation 2s has changed all that and more.

i thought the gen1 was the changing point for 2 strokes, no noise, efficient, torque .... the gen 2 just improved it all and more

i thought the gen1 was the changing point for 2 strokes, no noise, efficient, torque .... the gen 2 just improved it all and more
Actually direct injection (opti/hpdi/ficth ) was the start, BRP is the only one to really up the bar with big continuous improvements where as yammi/merc have really just manufactured the same original design while selling what the market asks for.

Last edited:
o ok.. so ficth and gen 1 are the same just fixed the injector problem? then g2 came and changed everything?

I think there were many improvements from fitch and the g1 then again for the g2
But DI changed outboards as we knew them

Last edited:
My thought was that the etec is a v6 and would have more tourque than the Yamaha inline 4. I also thought the etec would have a higher displacement which it does not. I may be wrong but I think a four stroke v6 would preform better in the test at similar hp ratings. Make sense?

Makes complete sense, however if your in the market for a 150 and looking at performance would this comparison make you think twice about whether to go etec for yami? Its all marketing

My thought was that the etec is a v6 and would have more tourque than the Yamaha inline 4. I also thought the etec would have a higher displacement which it does not. I may be wrong but I think a four stroke v6 would preform better in the test at similar hp ratings. Make sense?
While its entirely possible the larger displacement engine would perform better (in this application) its not a given.
Hp is what does the work, so where the hp is made in its torque graph will tell you how it will work for your application.
If you can't get to the rpm range you need because the engine is over propped (read the boat in the video) the engine will never make its rated power.
Take for instance a typical 2.2l v6 indy car engine @700hp, while it may sound like a good fit for our application the 200hp yammi would likely drag it under water like the etec did to the yammi.
The indy motor would need to reach 5-6k rpm before building much power. this is similar to the struggles 4s have competing against the 2s motors.
The main advantage 2s have is twice the power cycles that a 4s has so their torque graphs are generally snappier.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying one is better than the other, I am just saying in their current offerings ( excluding the v-rods) the 2s has the advantage, power wise.
Do you need the power curve of a 2s.........that depends on your application?

Last edited:
The guy in the video has a Evinrude lifejacket on so we already know who was going to win the comparison. Who knows if they had those both propped correctly.

They didn't say if the prop on each engine was the factory spec or not, although I'd say we're splitting hairs here. The 17P on the 4 stroke (what diameter?) suggests they gave a nod to a better hole shot for the 4 stroke - the 2 stroke had an 18P, although again, without prop diameter we have no way of knowing these were correctly chosen props. Finally, what size was the hull? Was there an expectation that one engine would be sufficient to make the boat plane? Overall an interesting video but needs more information before you can reasonably state that the E150 is 'better' than the Y200.

My cousin just bought a new Evinrude 150 two stroke. I was shocked how quiet it was and that he could troll all day on the main and it remained whisper quiet and smooth running. No perceptible difference in the fumes compared to a 4 stroke either.

I must say I was very impressed with the improvements in technology. No need for service for ages either, from what he was saying. A surprisingly nice piece of engineering from a Canadian company.

Back