Esperenza to Kyuquot

Chuck

Thinking of running up to Kyuquot from Esperenza. (Basically to check it out and do a little fishin)

If anyone has ever done it, I am looking for any info on the run.

Thanks,

It's pretty easy and straightforward....head out of Esperanza and hang a right. :p

I'd do it early in the day as it can be bumpy if running inside the surf line and the wind is up. We have explored a lot of the islands to the south of Kyuquot when we've been there, Grassy, Hiast etc.

If lumpy you can run around Union Island for calmer water.

Good charts/electronics if running inside as there are a lot of reefs once you get past Jurassic Point.

been thinking about doing this also this summer. trying to figure out where to get fuel and provisions in kyuquot.... it looks like to the north of kyuquot may be closed to fishing as it's an ecological marine reserve? was hoping to get as far as the south side of brooks peninsula.

been thinking about doing this also this summer. trying to figure out where to get fuel and provisions in kyuquot.... it looks like to the north of kyuquot may be closed to fishing as it's an ecological marine reserve? was hoping to get as far as the south side of brooks peninsula.

Ahhhhh......Kyuquot, one of my favourite places on this planet. :cool:

Fuel has to be had in Fair Harbour as there is no fuel in Kyuquot. There is a small store there but I wouldn't bank on a ton of provisions but it can certainly get you by.

The south side of the Brooks is awesome; every year when there we plan a day excursion to head up and explore. We always go to the same beach each year to fart around for the day; it has a small rock island out front (3rd pic with the seal eaters ;)) ,and you can see if from a ways off as there is a cut/avalanche type chute directly behind it.

You can expect beaches like this.....and the beachcombing is outstanding. Easy to find supplies for 'float bocci' or 'toilet seat horeshoes'. :D

hey Pippen, have you fished grassy island? on our annual trips this year i wanted to fish around the corner from tatchu, but was thinking to roll up to grassy and drop lines and see how it was. is it worth it or stay at tatchu?

thxs for the pics and info Pippen,
just wets the appetite further. almost looks like you could be on a beach in Mexico with some of those pics...

hey Pippen, have you fished grassy island? on our annual trips this year i wanted to fish around the corner from tatchu, but was thinking to roll up to grassy and drop lines and see how it was. is it worth it or stay at tatchu?

I think only once and trolled up a nice 45lb hali along with far too many coho.

When I am in Kyuquot we try and get offshore to the Reef....the 'T" or the highway all the time. The slot limit for Chinook that kicks in early always makes us push offshore. I know guys do fish that area with success. If right in Kyuquot you can drag up some dandy springs between Spring Island and Lookout Island hugging the westerly shore of Spring. The only time I've ever been spooled by a BIG fish was just on the northwest corner of Spring Island.....never saw the fish aside from a big tail and it took EVERYTHING from my reel to the teaserhead.

thxs for the pics and info Pippen,
just wets the appetite further. almost looks like you could be on a beach in Mexico with some of those pics...

Yup....the beaches are beautiful and HOT....don't generally get too much wind blowing in there and our regular beaching spot has good protection too. It's always MUCH warmer up there than in Kyuquot itself; it's a must do when we're in there for 6 days or so.

Had a great morning on the highway with tons of springs to the boat and we grilled up fresh fish on the beach there when I ran to meet the other boat with the rest of our crew who were too hungover/"tired" to head offshore early.

For both of you guys considering it.....it is an awesome place. @finaddict can also attest to that. ;)

Ya think ill bomb up there, was looking for hali, yellow eye and lack of crowds. Few Coho would be bonus as well. Never done very well with them in esperenza inlet, maybe a dozen over the last 5 years.

Ya think ill bomb up there, was looking for hali, yellow eye and lack of crowds. Few Coho would be bonus as well. Never done very well with them in esperenza inlet, maybe a dozen over the last 5 years.

LOTS of good areas for 'white meat'. There are some awesome pinnacles to the south of Spring/Lookout Island for many types of rockies....and bonus lings too. You find hali's all over the place up there....jigging for black bombers a few years ago with spinning gear to make ceviche for happy hour we pulled up a 30lb hali!

Lack of crowds is very nice....if the reef is 'on' you'll see no more than 12-15 boats most days in a HUGE area. Last year all the guide boats were heading to the "T" I believe but I ran out to the highway due west of Kyuquot reef and it was on fire.

If you can find a local (and I know one) who knows where the "glory hole" is......tons of white fish come out of there. I've been told I can come to where it is but I'll be blindfolded and I can't look at the screen. o_O

LOL..... Sounds like heaven. Just wanted a spot with lack of boats so when the bit comes off.... We can switch to fly rods and sit right in the hole or pin and not **** off people. Got couple nice springs off magic rock when it slowed down last year by spooning right through the kelp line on a high slack with nothing more than the spoon and 10 pulls. Wanted to try that abit more with the fly rod and stacking the line.

The locals in Esperanza talk about the "inside" run to Kyuquot from Esperanza. I haven't done it though. It's quite obvious where you need to go, but you're still very exposed at Tatchu. Three or four years ago, when we were there, every day it was blowing NW20 at least. The trip wasn't for the feint of heart or those in small vessels.
If it's nasty out in Esperanza, you can also do an "inside" run to Ferrer, but that's sketchier. Make sure the tide is at least 6', and you'll still be in some very shallow waters in a couple spots, but it's a nice run, and you're protected pretty well the entire way. You should probably follow some locals on that trip though. Obviously nothing beats Nootka if it's nasty out.

The "inside passage" to Kyuquot takes you on the inside of Nootka Island. No matter if you go inside or outside, you will still have to round Tatchu and it is certainly for experienced boaters. I would not do it in any kind of serious NW in a boat smaller than 19' without all the necessary safety equipment and more. Leave early and you should have less potential problems. The NW usually kicks up about 11 a.m. Kyuquot is a great place, but so is the rest of the north island.

Last edited:
Back