Esperanza Inlet?

cohochinook

Heading over to Esperanza Inlet on Sunday for 4 days of fishing. I know it's going be good, but always like to hear the reports. Amyone been over lately?

Yes, it has been slow this last week.

Main cause is the Gale Force Winds that we have had almost all week!

I got out on Monday (July 12). Not a great day. We beat our way over to Ferrer Point, and even there the water was rough all the way into the back bay. With 2 small kids and their mother onboard, we had to beat it back to calmer waters before the afternoon winds cranked up.

We did see about 4 nice Chinooks taken by other boats but we never got hit.

Back at Rosa, we worked the wall for several hours and got hit 3 times with good hits that stripped the Anchovy and bent the wire into a pretzel. Only one got to the boat and it was quite small so we shook it off the hook.

I had all my top gear in the water: Anchovy in Krippled Anchovy helmets, Watermelon Apex, Green & Glow Coyote spoons, and top Hootchies & Flashers.

Marked some bait and some solid fish on the sounder at Rosa and thought that we would get our fish if we put in the time, but it was not to be. Did not see anyone else with fish at Rosa.

Wind rolled into Rosa to make a rough end to the day.

Prawn traps produced a nice catch and got 3 keeper crabs out of about a dozen or more in the two traps.

There were fish taken, however it was slow by our standards. I expect it to improve vastly any day now. Especially if the wind drops off and we can get off-shore to the highway and our favorite Halibut holes.

Atmospheric pressure is another concern. The barometer has been going up and down like a yo-yo all week and may have played a role in the slow fishing. One thing I have noticed here is that if the barometer drops, it takes a day or two for the fishing to come back. My theory is that the fish feel bloated and refuse to eat under low pressure days - at least until they acclimatize to the lower pressure.

There should be fish moving into the area that will improve the fishing any day now.

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

Yes, it has been slow this last week.

Main cause is the Gale Force Winds :( :( :( that we have had almost all week!

I got out on Monday (July 12). Not a great day. We beat our way over to Ferrer Point, and even there the water was rough all the way into the back bay. With 2 small kids and their mother onboard, we had to beat it back to calmer waters before the afternoon winds cranked up.

We did see about 4 nice Chinooks taken by other boats but we never got hit.

Back at Rosa, we worked the wall for several hours and got hit 3 times with good hits that stripped the Anchovy and bent the wire int a pretzel. Only one got to the boat and it was quite small so we shook it off the hook.

I had all my top gear in the water: Anchovy in Krippled Anchovy helmets, Watermellon Apex, Green & Glow Coyote spoons, and top Hootchies & Flashers.

Marked some bait and some solid fish on the sounder at Rosa and thought that we would get our fish if we put in the time, but it was not to be. Did not see anyone else with fish at Rosa.

Wind rolled into Rosa to make a rough end to the day.

Prawn traps produced a nice catch and got 3 keeper crabs out of about a dozen or more in the two traps.

There were fish taken, however it was slow by our standards. I expect it to improve vastly any day now. Especially if the wind drops off and we can get off-shore to the highway and our favourite Halibut holes.

Atmospheric pressure is another concern. The barrometer has been going up and down like a yo-yo all week and may have played a roll in the slow fishing. One thing I have noticed here is that if the barrometer drops, it takes a day or two for the fishing to come back. My theory is that the fish feel bloated and refuse to eat under low pressure days - at least until the aclimitize to the lower pressure.

There should be fish moving into the area that will improve the fishing any day now.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Thanks Jim! Those winds are a nightmare. Hopefully things settle down soon. Crossing my fingers for a chance to get out to the highway.

I just got back from "just north" of Esperanza as I was in Kyuquot for a week; July 7-13.

Lots of fish around.....just not the same size as we were getting last year. Generally the springs ranged from ~12lbs up to low 20's; cookie cutter teenage Columbians. Some pretty scrappy fish in the mix too; I was sure I had a tyee on Tuesday morning when we zipped offshore for a quick fish and it turned out to be a low 20's that fought and stayed down for quite some time.

I managed to get out offshore on 4 of the days and did very well at the "reef" with plenty of fish; but again just not the biggies. Did hear of a few 30+ and 1 in the high 40's taken while we there and the big ones seemed to be getting hit in tight to kelp beds. Plenty of hali's around and we picked them up fairly consistently when trolling right down on the bottom. Fish were mostly down low but having said that we were getting some good hits putting the lines down deep but getting knocked off at about 50-60'. Definitely not lots of coho at this time compared to last year; I think we brought 2 to the boat and did see a couple chasing lines in at the surface but that was about it.

I still don't know why I bother buying new gear when heading over there; my "go to" for the last 4 years that consistently has produced great numbers of fish has been a silver/gold flasher with a 4-5' leader towing a chrome/silver/black anchovie or herring teaser head. The only time I moved away from it this year was when we had 4 in the box between 3 of us and were throwing back mid-teen fish like they were going out of style. I switched it up and tried some hoochies, plugs and I think I may have thrown down a spoon or 2 as well. Still....the ole faithful bait set up outperformed consistently.

We weren't picking up a lot of bait on the sonar but the fish were all LOADED with needlefish.

All in all though.....I would rather have plenty of action on the fish as we did than going through days with 1 or 2 hook ups. ;)

<EDIT to Add>...cohochinook; be sure to check the regs in the area as there are some changes in 25/26 that kick in on July 14 or 15th; there are some coho regs and also some spring size limits that kick in on the inside waters.

Hey Pippen, it sure would be nice to see some pics......... like last year:D

SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Striper Sniper

Hey Pippen, it sure would be nice to see some pics......... like last year:D

SS

Ha ha.....I am just going through them right now. I sure didn't take as many pics as I thought.

Gonna get some loaded up on photobucket today and will post em' up. ;);)

quote:Originally posted by Pippen

I just got back from "just north" of Esperanza as I was in Kyuquot for a week; July 7-13.

I still don't know why I bother buying new gear when heading over there; my "go to" for the last 4 years that consistently has produced great numbers of fish has been a silver/gold flasher with a 4-5' leader towing a chrome/silver/black anchovie or herring teaser head. ....the ole faithful bait set up outperformed consistently.

X2 - totally agree. Cohochinook as I had mentioned in the PM , this is exactly what I found too . I found year to year the particular colour of head varied but anchovy was my "go ot" as well. In past years I found #500 and #271 to be deadly but then about the time the new Krippled Anchovies came out the #500 didn't do as well. #602KA and glow Rhys Davis head ( Anchovie Special)then became more effective. Gold flasher was great but my last year up there I found the plain gold (or silver) on one side,green/yellow prism other side was the best flsher for me.

quote:Originally posted by Pippen

Lots of fish around.....just not the same size as we were getting last year. Generally the springs ranged from ~12lbs up to low 20's; cookie cutter teenage Columbians. Some pretty scrappy fish in the mix too; I was sure I had a tyee on Tuesday morning when we zipped offshore for a quick fish and it turned out to be a low 20's that fought and stayed down for quite some time.

I managed to get out offshore on 4 of the days and did very well at the "reef" with plenty of fish; but again just not the biggies. Did hear of a few 30+ and 1 in the high 40's taken while we there and the big ones seemed to be getting hit in tight to kelp beds. Plenty of hali's around and we picked them up fairly consistently when trolling right down on the bottom. Fish were mostly down low but having said that we were getting some good hits putting the lines down deep but getting knocked off at about 50-60'. Definitely not lots of coho at this time compared to last year; I think we brought 2 to the boat and did see a couple chasing lines in at the surface but that was about it.

I still don't know why I bother buying new gear when heading over there; my "go to" for the last 4 years that consistently has produced great numbers of fish has been a silver/gold flasher with a 4-5' leader towing a chrome/silver/black anchovie or herring teaser head. The only time I moved away from it this year was when we had 4 in the box between 3 of us and were throwing back mid-teen fish like they were going out of style. I switched it up and tried some hoochies, plugs and I think I may have thrown down a spoon or 2 as well. Still....the ole faithful bait set up outperformed consistently.

We weren't picking up a lot of bait on the sonar but the fish were all LOADED with needlefish.

All in all though.....I would rather have plenty of action on the fish as we did than going through days with 1 or 2 hook ups. ;)

<EDIT to Add>...cohochinook; be sure to check the regs in the area as there are some changes in 25/26 that kick in on July 14 or 15th; there are some coho regs and also some spring size limits that kick in on the inside waters.

Thanks for the report and the insight Pippen. Saw your post with the photos. What a great trip! I'll be sure to get some photos to post.

Just got back. Fishing was slower then last two years. Still had decent fishing. Main difference was fish were much smaller. Lots of 12 pound fish. Not many Coho either. Biggest spring we got was 24. Got a 30 pound hali. Pretty good for a rookie hali fisher.

Will write more detailed report later. Most of the action was on the highway and Ferrer. Inshore was mainly 20 feet and outside 100 to 135 feet. Choive was best producer. Tried plugs but not much action.

The guides where we were staying said it was one of the slowest years for larger Springs. Last year by end of August Tyee board was full with even some 40's. This year only had 5 on it and biggest was 37.5. Not sure why?

We were fishing out of our own boat, but compared to last 2 years found much smaller fish.

The guides where we were staying said it was one of the slowest years for larger Springs. Last year by end of August Tyee board was full with even some 40's. This year only had 5 on it and biggest was 37.5. Not sure why?

We were fishing out of our own boat, but compared to last 2 years found much smaller fish.

I heading out to Esperanza with some buddies this Thursday for a few days. Anyone have any recent reports for this area?

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

I heading out to Esperanza with some buddies this Thursday for a few days. Anyone have any recent reports for this area?

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Lots of Halibut and Lingcod coming into the docks.

Chinook Salmon are coming in, but not in the numbers we are used to seeing here at this time of year. Early indications have been for a good season, so perhaps it is just late timing.

Again, the gale force winds have been steady for the past two weeks which makes fishing much harder and less effective. But if you put in the time with the right bait and lures in the right spots, you should come home with fish.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Just got back today, fishing is just as good as it was last year, limits for everybody onboard. Lots of nice fish on the inside. Most are fish right at 77 cm and they are thick in size. Had to give a bunch of big fish to the commercial boat that was sitting up Esperonza inlet the past few day but all in all its looking good.

July 30/10 - 9:06 PM

Just got home. Late start involving launching the boat today. Went out to Rosa and trolled for a bit starting around 10 AM. Saw a few signs of fish and bait, but nothing happening. Trolled over to Double Island and up to Black Rock. Crossed the inlet opening and trolled past Flower Rock where we boated an undersized chinook of about 42 cm and released it. Caught on Anchovy in green Krippled Anchovy holder at about 60'

Went back to Rosa and worked the wall with about 30 other boats. Saw a good flurey of activity with fish taken over the high slack tide around 4 PM, but we did not get any. 2 possible hits on the Anchovy, but no hookups and one pop-off with no sign of fish or weeds heading over to Center Island.

Most boats were lucky to get one fish with many complaining of no fish. Saw one boat boat 2 fish in a 5 min. period as soon as the lines went back in the water. Total of about 6 - 8 fish seen taken at Rosa.

Will report again after the guys get back tommorrow.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

August 1, 2010

Had planned to take the guys out Nootka way but heard some reports that things were not as rosy as I had originally thought, so a last minute deciscion to head back to Rosa and see if we could get out to the Highway in a 19' open-bow boat. Though we did not get into any Salmon, inspite of seeing a dozen jumpers around nearby. Turned out to be a good choice though!

Spent the morning trolling for Salmon with four lines and getting tangled a couple of time, then dropped back to two rods on downriggers plus a surface line in the event of a stray Coho.

After finding fairly calm waters near the slack tide around 10 AM we tried drifting for Halibut. We got into some very nice Yelloweye Rockfish and one Vermillion Rockfish. As well, we got a nice selection of 4 nice size, but not super size Lingcod :D

Heard some guys on the radio say they had gotten nothing in the area we were in and were going to move futher out to the 300' level. Did not hear how they did.

Heard of others when we got back who were either skunked or had done very well. One reported about 6 Chinook from 18 to 26 pounds that they took on the morning tide slack where the bite lasted only an hour. He reported that most were taken at 100'

We were able to drift with the motor off and 3 rods over the side for several hours. We moved to a couple of previously successful Hali holes but were still hit by Yelloweyes, Lings and even a Quillback Rockfish. With signs that the afternoon wind was starting to pick up, we rigged trolling gear for 2 lines plus a surface spoon and headed back toward Low Rock without any Salmon bites. Did pick up another small Yelloweye on the way. Noticing that we had been pushed North past Tatchu point, we pulled the gear and made the run back to Rosa where we threw the gear in and made a few passes. Did not see any fish taken, but did see some good bait signs and fish signs on the sounder.

An enjoyable day on the water with a nice cooler full of tasty fish to boot.

Oh yes, almost forgot - one nice Cabazon!

No dogfish, no sharks, no Mackeral.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Back