Englefield Bay (West coast resorts) May fishing??

TheRock

I got an invitation to go fishing to the Queen Charlottes to Englefield Bay resort, May 14'th.
http://www.westcoastresorts.com/englefieldbay.cfm

I have never fished here before, just want to how fishing was in past years here in mid May. ?? Before I put out a substantial investment $$.. just doing some home work here..
What's the best time to fish Englefield Bay??? Any one been to this resort before??

Now before I comment on this forum...I want to point out a few things...I fished that area before at the end of May but never stayed at the lodge...so I can't comment on that.
I fished three days quite a few years ago and the fishing wasn't all that bad but remember one thing...Charlottes in May can be nasty...and nasty it was!
As for overall production of quality chinook fishing...I would rate it lower that average for any trips I've done in the past...but to the areas defence...weather was an issue and i would love to give it another go and still might in June sometime in the future.

Late June through August is best, I've fished there in late May we got SFA for Salmon but Halibut were around.

Results for the area were poor all season last year and I can't see things being any better this year there's no way I'd drop the kind of money they're asking.[xx(]

$2870.66 including taxes.. includes flights, all inclusive, 18' center console boat, all equipment/bait/lunch included.. no Guide, instructional session of the area and fishing, two per boat.
May 14 through May 18

Fished Tasu just a few miles down the coast (West Coastt Resorts as well) during the Salmon Masters....off the charts fishing early June...probably the best lodges going...when they say unspoiled.. untouched count on it....never seen another boat the whole time..anywhere....big water big fish...service, food, guides, managers all world class....not sure what the time frame is like but regardless eveyone should fish the Charlottes at least once in their lifetime...

If you go to their site Chad it says on there...for most of the year they are around $4K per person for a 4 day trip...unguided. Pretty pricey.

But i do like their promo video on their site...gets me pumped up for the fishing season haha

I have fished out out of Englefield and Tasu with Westcoast and they
are a first class operation. Great food,staff and excellent service.
The one thing to keep in mind is that you are at the mercy of the elements.
my first trip to Englefield, i played cards for 3 days waiting for the wind to quit blowing 40knots.
If the weather is good, you will enjoy it !

I have guided out of Englefield for 5 years now. You must have got the trip through R.Coburn. May can have some excellent fishing. 40 plus springs a day to the boat like two years ago. However last year was a little slow but your still getting your chance at 5-10 springs a day in May. The bottom fishing is also as solid as it gets as well. Remember it the Charlottes and if you have not been there before that is a reason alone to go their. And that price is direct from Victoria return, instead of having to go over to Vancouver which is what the norm is. And it does include a guide for half the day. Oh the best time to fish the 'field is June - late August. But as i said we have had some of our best fishing in May and as well in September, you just never know.

Bud Watt one of the reny marina owners got a 60+pd fish 2years ago in the same time slot.

Timings everything, but with West Coast you're paying for more than the fishing, (it's not all about what's in the box).
If it is for you, you may want to try somewhere less $$$.

don't know about Englefield but Tasu has close to a 90% customer return every year, even with slower fishing the last couple years.

Whats your call Rock[^]??

I worked at Tasu for a year and finished a season at Englefield. Like everyone here is saying, your paying for more than just the fishing (which is awsome). May can have some rough days, but it also can be killer fishing.

Thanks for all the information, much appreciated! Sounds like this trip is to good to pass up. I will be going. Hopefully the weather is good and the big springs are in, if not that's fishing.

Good choice.
Bring your sea legs and let er rip.
If you can handle it your guide will be all over it.
It's all in the mind anyways.

I worked at Englefield Bay for three years. It is an amazing place of beauty. May is a unpredictable for springs(can be really good in may), if you have the right guide, you should come away with some good action. Halibut is always better at the start of the year. I know the staff in Englefield still and they produce, nothing but the best there. They keep people coming back every year so if they want you to book in may, you'll definetely play some fish.Last year was up and down for springs all season were I was, just north of this lodge. They had a good season, so it shows it can be unpredictable. Just book and have fun, enjoy the place, good people, good food...and being on the water. Uugghhh..took up an adminstration position this year, regreting it already!

I have been to Englefied twice.....once in May.
# years ago in May we were throwing back 25lbers regularly. I would say we hooked into 20 Springs a day all 20lbs plus with the largets being a 39lber.

Last year I was there for the last week of July. The fishing was not nearly as productive as it was in May.

If you have never been then DO NOT pass up this opportunity. HEaven on Earth for any fishermen

Back