Emerging Issues for SVI Chinook Regulations

yep, word for word on the reply I got as well. I think she was the only one, but I'll check at home as I thought maybe there was another as well...Randall maybe?

Don't hold your breath regarding Elizabeth May having any impact!
I sent my letter to Trudeau...no reply but what is a guy to do.
I still have faith sanity will prevail.

Hardest working MP in Canada! What does that tell you? lol

"Elizabeth May says she’s sorry for giving a rambling, profanity-laced speech at Ottawa’s annual press gallery dinner, blaming her performance on a strenuous travel schedule that left her tired and with little time for preparation ahead of the Saturday night event."
Yep...hard work results in bad speeches.
Do you really think she will turn the tide on the Chinook Regulations.
Sorry to be off topic....will not say any more about Lizelizabeth-may_jpg_size_custom_crop_1086x679.jpg

Last edited:
Would have to agree Vanisland. I did not vote for her for the very reason as the Greens are not a strong party !! Just got her monthly flyer in the mail and her main goal right now is going after Christie and LNG. Not South Van island chinook issues which are close to home also ??

Category(s):
ABORIGINAL - General Information,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll,
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0462-Fraser River Spring 5(2) and Summer 5(2) Chinook - May 31, 2016 Abundance Update

In 2016, the Department has identified concerns associated with expected poor
returns of Fraser River Spring 5(2) and Summer 5(2) chinook. Management of
these stocks is based on an in-season assessment of returns using the
cumulative catch per unit effort (CPUE) of chinook caught at the Albion Test
Fishery. A three zone management approach is used to identify management
actions.

The Department initiated the 2016 season with management actions based on the
lowest management zone (zone 1) given uncertainties in expected marine survival
rate, and recent years of poor returns for these stock aggregates.

The model developed to predict the return of Fraser River Spring 5(2) and
Summer 5(2) chinook uses data from the standard chinook net fished by the
Albion Test fishery and does not incorporate catch from the multi-panel net
(which is currently fished on alternate days). The standard chinook net is an 8
inch (approx. 20 cm) mesh. Catch and effort data are cumulated by week,
starting the first full week in May, to provide the input to the model.

In 2016, the Albion chinook test fishery began operating on April 24. The
total catch for the period of this update (May 1 to May 28) was five (5)
chinook, one (1) of which was caught in the standard (8 inch) net. Based on
this input to the model, the current predicted return to the mouth of the
Fraser for the Spring and Summer 5(2) chinook aggregates is approximately
34,000 fish. There is an 87% probability that the actual post-season abundance
of these aggregates will be less than 45,000.

The final in-season update is planned for June 14.

The Department is currently reviewing management actions for Fraser River
Spring 5(2) and Summer 5(2) chinook for 2016 fisheries. In the interim, the
Department is proceeding with pre-season plans to implement Zone 1 management
actions and previously announced fishery management actions to conserve Fraser
River chinook remain in effect.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Kelly Binning (604) 666-3935

Just checked the Albion test site and you can add a big fat zero to that total of 5 caught as of May 28th, now updated to May 31st (i.e. no chinook caught May 29, 30 or 31). For comparison sake, as of end of May here are the results for previous years:

2016 - 5
2015 - 12
2014 - 10
2013 - 2
2012 - 7
2011 - 11
2010 - 22

Pretty low abundance regardless of year by end of May but definitely on the low end of the scale this year. June of last year 244 chinook were caught in the Albion test so, hopefully, as June progresses we see some positive numbers returning!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Most bands who are netting along the Fraser have been doing pretty good so far this year. Low water, early freshet make for prefect drift netting conditons and set net conditions from mouth of vedder to yale...

Seals absolutely take fish from the test nets but, that happens every year so is a constant, I think its such a persistent/common occurrence that they do record it as a qualifier. Agree with Whitebuck about the current Fraser conditions - should be ideal fishing conditions. Given that the Albion test sets on the best tide each day and the drift gill net stretches pretty much shore to shore and drifts through a very long, prime stretch of water (and operated by a top commercial fisher under contract) if chinook are moving up the Fraser in any numbers, fish would be showing up in these test sets.

Cheers!

Ukee

The seals were in the river alot earlier this year, due to the large and earlier than usual ooly run. Ooly run was almost done by beginning of May. All the seals in the lower Fraser hung around after this. Definetly more seals than usual this year.

Hmmm, looking at the past few years, looks like 2016 is on par for sturgeon encounters for most years with the exception that 2015 saw an unusually high incident rate - well over 100 captured by May 31 where "normal" for previous years seemed to be around 20'ish, which doesn't make 2016's 13 encounters unusually low.

Regarding seals, if there are springs moving up the river in any numbers, the seals follow.

Cheers!

I'm not sure if it is relevant but the fisheries minister Hunter tootoo has resigned today due to substance addiction.
I'm trying to follow the politics but I'm not sure who has final say In the matter of the Chinook closure

Back