Emerging Issues for SVI Chinook Regulations

This is the tip of the iceberg, if you haven't sent your letters/emails
do it now.
Area 19/20 has been hit again, but it's coming your way soon !

Fishtofino,
FYI, I live close to the albion. This year the amount of seals that are following boats is crazy. Lived by and watched the albion for a long time. Seals take quite a few fish from the nets.

Apologies for my ignorance but where can I read more about Zone 1 restrictions and what that means exactly?
Is that where we are today in area's 20 & 19 or new restrictions?

I trust that the Lower Fraser river FN bands are of course, adhering to the significant conservation concerns for spring and summer 5-2's as well...............

Anyone happen to see any set or drift nets in the river from Port Mann to Hope?

Sure they will just like they didn't fish on the 3 weak brood years of Fraser bound sockeye. Recreational and commercial fisheries have remained closed on those weaker stocks in hopes that getting more numbers to the spawning grounds would turn this decline around. We continue to do our part only to watch our efforts wasted by others who through nothing but greed continue to take too many of these fish. So DFO is saying less than 25,000 Chinook expected and the FN on the Fraser are asking for double or triple the number of Chinook to make up for no sockeye. The Fraser is heading for dead river classification if this keeps up. Coho concerns for 20 years, no improvement, sockeye concerns for more than 15 years no improvement, Chinook on the list now for 10 years and still in decline. Why is it the only salmon species (the one worth the least amount when sold) still doing ok? HMMMMMMMMM

So far FN have reported 218 springs that they have netted on the Fraser to the counters.
Apparently they reported only 122 last week. Not all fish are reported. Three boats in the Cheam area took almost double that in the last opening. The less fish they report the more openings they get.
There is another 3 day opening starting today.
Netting conditons are perfect on the Fraser right now as there is almost zero debris coming down and Fraser is fairly low for this time of year!

I believe in catch and release and I understand the merits of the slot limit. I've come to point in my life where the freezer doesn't have to be so overloaded that I'm continually giving salmon away to make more room. I like my salmon fresh from the ocean and a reasonable amount to enjoy through the winter. What I have a hard time with is the devastation of the stocks once they hit the river. The fish are spawning and dieing so let them accomplish this and then we will see the conservation efforts rewarded. If we truly care about our salmon we need to adjust our rape and pillage attitude that we are "owed X lbs of salmon per person". That means FN and Sporty's alike. Unfortunately the commies will just negate our efforts but maybe if the max number of salmon can actually make it up the river this species will survive.

I just sent in My Letter.....sure hope things work out. But we all know the DFO...& the people in Ottawa. Lets go Guys & Girls let them know where you stand. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Check out the protest derby called the " Kiss My Chinook Derby" being put on by SVIAC on June 18th. Info is posted in the Important Meetings, Derbies and SFBC Get Togethers section.

Thanks for sending your letters! Talk to all your fishing friends and strongly encourage them to fill Ottawa with mounds of paper...let's bury the Minister so he has a full appreciation for how significant this is.

Sent my letter today to all those that Jaybones posted email addy's for. Hopefully their inboxes get overwhelmed and they get a clear message about how we feel.

So the question i have IF they get their way and get more Chinook... will they not fish for the BELOVED sockeye they get so much money for when they make it up to them??? if i was a betting man im sure the nets will be out again to stock up ...has this been brought up at all??
Complete joke

Wolf

So the question i have IF they get their way and get more Chinook... will they not fish for the BELOVED sockeye they get so much money for when they make it up to them??? if i was a betting man im sure the nets will be out again to stock up ...has this been brought up at all??
Complete joke

Wolf

You know the answer. :rolleyes:

Sent an email to Elizabeth May and much like the one on Halibut I received no reply. Disappointed!

Sent an email to Elizabeth May and much like the one on Halibut I received no reply. Disappointed!

I got one and it was the only MP federally or provincially that got back to me on this issue. Again this another example as what it has been like since they took office. I have been confronting the new government on other habitat protection issues, and any progress/responses are just disappointing. Lots of election promises but no action. It wasn't what I voted for and won't do it again. Here is my response on this issue from Green leader:

Date: 5/20/2016

RE: Objection to Possible Closure or Additional Restrictions of Area 19 and 20 Recreational Fisheries, JDF

Thank you for taking the time to email me about the proposed closures of recreational fishing areas on the southern end of Vancouver Island.

I understand your concerns and hope that you receive an in depth response from Minister Tootoo explaining his reasoning for considering this closure. I am committed to ensuring the BC Vision for Recreational Fisheries is implemented and I hope that this strategy will result in better cooperation between the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and recreational fisheries. It is important to find a balance between conservation, recreation and First Nations treaty rights when examining the issue of fishing quota restrictions and regulations.

Thank you once again for writing; I hope that you will continue to speak out issues that are important to you.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth May, O.C., M.P.

Member of Parliament for Saanich-Gulf Islands

Leader of the Green Party of Canada

I got the same letter from Ms. May.
Well that's comforting, you at least got a reply of sorts! I have no idea why I got no response, but at least you guys did, so that's something. As I said, for whatever reason, I have had no luck getting a response from her office regarding this or the Halibut allocation.

Back