Emerging Issues for SVI Chinook Regulations

Here is the DFO Salmon allocation plan:

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/240366.pdf

The stats are a bit out of date, but the language of the rec sector getting priority over the comm sector on Chinook/Coho is not born out the the numbers in this paper. As I said, these are figures from 1997.

FYI, Alaska does have a spring troll fishery, but this fishery is inside waters in terminal areas directed at Spring Chinook returning to AK rivers (interesting fact is that all AK Chinook are Spring Chinook (stream type 2), so their Summer Chinook season which opens July 1 targets Chinook other than AK origin or immature AK fish with a total catch out about 430,000 fish. The CDN troll fishery in area F opens in late June & takes about 130,000 fish, 40% of which are Columbia River fish. FYI the rec sector down here in WA gets a whopping 35,000 fish in the ocean (your'e very welcome!!).

I live in WA & have been traveling North for my Salmon since 1986. Up until 3-4 years ago Ucluelet served me well but it looking more & more like North of Vancouver island is the future.

As you may know our FN treaty down here has resulted in a complete closure of non-FN fisheries in all inside waters. Initial rumors were that they couldn't agree on Coho, but a recent article in the Seattle Times
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...de-on-possibly-saving-salmon-fishing-seasons/
point the finger at Chinook. Similar language about FN cultural importance of Salmon to what BC FN's are saying.
Also similar is FN lack of fondness for selective retention fisheries saying the released fish are easy prey for Sea Lions. West Coast Fishing Club with resorts in Langara has many fishing reports detailing the ongoing battle with Sea Lions taking released fish as well as hooked one's.

Got a response from Randall Garrison, NDP guy for my riding.

Dear Lee:

Thank you for writing to me about the recreational Chinook fishery. I support your objection to the proposed ban on Chinook fishing in our area this spring.

The recreational Chinook fishery is an important part of the social and economic fabric of our region for several reasons. Recreational Chinook fishing provides jobs in the tourism industry, and it provides residents with a valuable source of food. This fishery is also of the utmost cultural and economic importance to First Nations in our area.

Conservation efforts for Chinook stocks have been undertaken in this region, with admirable cooperation between businesses, First Nations and sports fishers. Banning or too severely restricting the recreational Chinook fishery would have a detrimental impact on conservation efforts, such as the current project to enhance Chinook stocks in the Sooke river. This project, like other conservation efforts, depends on the enthusiasm and cooperation generated by an active recreational Chinook fishery.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns with me.

Sincerely,

~

Randall Garrison, MP

Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke

Some great letters being sent. This horse trading proposal potentially sets a very dangerous precedent, and moreover goes against existing policy and several court cases. Time for the silent majority to be silent NO MORE!

Some great letters being sent. This horse trading proposal potentially sets a very dangerous precedent, and moreover goes against existing policy and several court cases. Time for the silent majority to be silent NO MORE!

I couldn't agree more. NOW is the time for rec fishers to make their voices heard. Send the DFO Minister a letter, (see template details early on in this post), or send a protest postcard (see your local Victoria tackle shop for them). Just please do it now as the decision is likely to happen any day now!

Time to put up or be shut up. DFO could not care less about Recreational anglers. and in fact we are nothing more than a hindrance to their objectives to give all fisheries to the abbies.

I couldn't agree more. NOW is the time for rec fishers to make their voices heard. Send the DFO Minister a letter, (see template details early on in this post), or send a protest postcard (see your local Victoria tackle shop for them). Just please do it now as the decision is likely to happen any day now!

I would also say if you are a BUSINESS that will be affected by this mention that is well. There will large consequences for small business on the island and mainland areas. This is not the time to just hope this goes away. My business as well as many others will be affected, and when I sent my letter in I expressed this well. There is a lot of money invested already for the season, and now at 11th hour we have department not being clear what are summer is going to be like. Lots of local manufacturers,guides, lodges and the tourism industry will be affected if this goes south. It could place people out of business. Politicians need to hear that loud and clear.

Letter sent!

Thanks Chris and SVIAC. I hope with all you are doing on this topic, others will see the value in joining SVIAC to increase our membership, for an even louder, unified voice!

Just caught another story on this on ctv2. Funny how the fn chief didn't mention anything about sockeye returns but instead just said the rec sector on the south island is responsible for taking alot of the chinook runs. Also had to laugh when they interviewed the dfo guy who said they consult all groups including the public before they make any decisions regarding the fisheries..what a complete joke.

Just caught another story on this on ctv2. Funny how the fn chief didn't mention anything about sockeye returns but instead just said the rec sector on the south island is responsible for taking alot of the chinook runs. Also had to laugh when they interviewed the dfo guy who said they consult all groups including the public before they make any decisions regarding the fisheries..what a complete joke.
Sure are living in fantasy land in the tribes over there if that is the comment. Rolleyes. ..

Thanks for sending your letters! Talk to all your fishing friends and strongly encourage them to fill Ottawa with mounds of paper...let's bury the Minister so he has a full appreciation for how significant this is.

Category(s):
ABORIGINAL - General Information,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll,
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0419-Aboriginal, Recreational, Commercial - Salmon - Gill Net and Troll - Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 Chinook - May 18, 2016 Abundance Update

In 2016, the Department has identified concerns associated with expected poor
returns of Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook. Management of these
stocks is based on an in-season assessment of returns using the cumulative
catch per unit effort (CPUE) of chinook caught at the Albion Test Fishery. A
three zone management approach is used to identify management actions.

The Department initiated the 2016 season with management actions based on the
lowest management zone (zone 1) given uncertainties in expected marine survival
rate, and recent years of poor returns for these stock aggregates.

The model used to predict the return of Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2
chinook uses data from the standard chinook net fished by the Albion Test
fishery and does not incorporate catch from the multi-panel net (which is
currently fished on alternate days). The standard chinook net is an 8 inch
(approx. 20 cm) mesh. Catch and effort data are cumulated by week, starting the
first full week in May, to provide the input to the model.

In 2016, the Albion chinook test fishery began operating on April 24. The
total catch for the period of this update (May 1 to May 13) was zero (0)
chinook. Based on this input, the current predicted return to the mouth of the
Fraser for the Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook aggregates is
less than 25,000 fish.

The next scheduled update is on May 31 and the final in-season update is
planned for June 14.

The Department is currently reviewing management actions for Fraser River
Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook for 2016 fisheries. In the interim, the
Department is proceeding with pre-season plans to implement Zone 1 management
actions and previously announced fishery management actions to conserve Fraser
River chinook remain in effect.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:

Kelly Binning 604-666-3935

2018 is a year and a half away .10 years will be compleated and new fish war treaty must come about.have to ask yourself ,How have you changed in 81/2 years as a fisherman to better our chances as a rec sport fisher?

Back