Emergency Flare in Oak Bay tonight

TenMile

Hey,

Thought I saw my first UFO tonight, but looks like it was a Search and Rescue flare descending into Oak Bay. Helicopters buzzing around. I assume there is some sort of an emergency situation going on? Anyone know what's up?

Found my own answer:

SEARCH AND RESCUE OPERATION UNDERWAY OFF CLOVER POINT

Feb 10, 2009

REPORTS OF A PERSON IN THE WATER NEAR GONZALES BAY HAVE LED TO A SEARCH EFFORT OFF CLOVER POINT THIS EVENING.

OFFICIALS WITH THE VICTORIA RESCUE COORDINATION CENTER SAY RESCUE BOATS HAVE BEEN OUT SEARCHING SINCE BEFORE 6PM, BUT THEY HAVE NOT FOUND ANYONE.

THE BOATS HAVE STOOD DOWN, BUT NOW RESCUE HELICOPTERS AND FIXED WING AIRCRAFT ARE BEING BROUGHT IN TO DROP FLARES, SO A NIGHT VISION SEARCH CAN BE CONDUCTED.

ONCE AGAIN, ANY STRANGE LIGHTS SEEN IN THE SKIES OFF CLOVER POINT THIS EVENING ARE FLARES BEING DROPPED BY RESCUE CREWS AS THEY SEARCH FOR A POSSIBLE PERSON IN THE WATER.

STAY TUNED TO CFAX1070 FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION.

- ADAM STIRLING

From the T/C
Rescue crews in boats and aircraft mounted a search off the Dallas Road waterfront near Ross Bay yesterday evening after receiving multiple reports that people may be in distress.

The Victoria Rescue Co-ordination Centre received a report around 5 p.m. from someone who said they saw a parasail fly by their apartment balcony. Two other people later reported to RCMP they thought they saw a person or people in distress in the water.

A search was mounted using both a Cormorant helicopter and a fixed-wing Buffalo aircraft out of Comox, a U.S. Coast Guard helicopter and two Victoria police boats. But the search was later called off. No one was found and no one had been reported missing last night. The sail was not found.

In an earlier mission, the Canadian and U.S. coast guards worked together in a rescue mission off Discovery Island after a sailboat crashed on the rocks. Two Canadians were pulled from the icy waters by a Canadian vessel as the U.S. Coast Guard helicopter flew above.

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

ya saw it on the news tonight - the claimed 4 meter waves!!!! try 2 feet at best.

4 meters? That's like 12'!!! There is a very strong rip that runs through Baynes Channel and when stacked against the wind makes for some pretty large standing waves -- but 12' is probably a bit of a stretch -- they can seem much larger when you are at their mercy I guess.

I ended up capturing a video of the flair's descent. Not much to post -- picture a bright light slowly falling down into dark abyss.

Earlier in the day a couple of Laser sailors hit the reef on Commodore Point Discovery Island. They swam ashore and were rescued by the Coast Guard Auxiliary. There was some speculation that it was this boat that everyone was seeing.
12' waves (measured from trough to top) are not uncommon in this area with a Southeast wind and Ebb tide.

Back