Elk Lake

I have eaten trout when these blue water algea blooms are on, and there fine. I dont think that it has enough time to concentrate in the fish, as the algea only lasts for about 2 weeks max. Could the blue water you see coming from your bath possible copper corrosion?

kunni

Maybe I will give them a try after all! How about you cobra?

I tried yesterday, nothing. Saw no action on the water, I think once they start jumpin - it's on !
As for eatin 'em I'll let the mother inlaw wrassle with the carcasses and see what she comes up with.(next time I catch one)
From what I heard, as the water warms up their taste goes downhill....
I don't think anyone here catches carp @ Elk Lake to eat......anyone ?

I think we need to get more people catching them as otherwise there won't be much of a fishery for anything there. Either thae carp with wipe out the other fish, or most of them, or the gov't will follow through and poison the lake.

Ive never fished for carp before but interested in giving it a shot in the next few months. Hopefully hammer the bass out there this year too. Didnt get out enough last year

Kunni:- no...the light pale blue bathwater (very pale) only shows up at certain times........at the same time they will remark on this in the loacal newspaper. It's supposed to be algae.....

hmm thats strange :confused:

kunni

Cobra do you ever use doughballs?

Nope, just canned corn.
I usually buy a can, put half in a bowl/covered toss it in the fridge. Put the other half in a ziploc and take the ziploc fishing.
If I'm not going fishing within a week I'll use up the bowl in the fridge for dinner/lunch.

Ok. In Europe they have all kinds of fancy baits including tiger nuts. I guess the carp here are not really hook shy as most have never been caught before.

Yea :D My fvorite is the guys trolling for trout, and catching carp on their rapalas. What a surprise!

Are they your favorite fish to target right now? I think just like their relatives, the goldfish, carp probably head to the bottom during the coldest months of the year. Probably going to be minimal chances to hook one until spring

Are they your favorite fish to target right now? I think just like their relatives, the goldfish, carp probably head to the bottom during the coldest months of the year. Probably going to be minimal chances to hook one until spring

I prefer mixing it up with trout & bass over anything else, next would be carp/catfish.
Have yet to catch any other fresh water species except pumpkinseeds.

Started fishing late spring '12 didn't hook up til July '12
Gonna be a great year now that I've got a lot of "what not to do" out of the way, already have 3 trout landed this month.

You didn't catch any carp until July? Does that mean you catch the brown bullheads too?

You didn't catch any carp until July? Does that mean you catch the brown bullheads too?

No, July was the first fish I caught in 2012(started in May), it was a smallmouth bass @ Lookout Lake.
Later that day I caught 1 brown bullhead, haven't caught any since but never fished there since.
I found it to be very snaggy and caught mostly pumpkinseeds.

Only started carp fishing in September 2012.

I used to Carp fish when I lived in ontario and I found the best time to catch carp are by river mouths in mid - end of May as they spawn in the rivers in June and this is the time when they go on a super feeding frenzy (Would hook into carp within 5-10 minutes)... Otherwise, it's a 2-3 hour wait to lure the carp to your bait. But I found the best bait for me as either corn, bread, cornbread, or worms. To be honest, they feed based on scent, so the stinkier it is, the quicker they will be attracted to your bait. But if you want bait that won't dissolve and stay on the hook, just use good ol canned corn. It gives off so much scent and won't whip off your hook was easily as a dough ball. Also fish the bottom... after all they are bottom feeders. This will also make sure that you only target Carp/catfish and not trout or bass. But if you guys want, I could post a few pics when I get home from work...

theres not alot of feader streams into elk lake, is there? I agree though the food would be washed down those streams, and fish will eat the food.

kunni

Back