Elk Lake

More then most would think. A lot of "traditional" run off streams have been filled in because of development. the result is just underground run in.

thanks for correcting me, I was not sure about the feeder streams.:)

kunni

There's a stream trickling in next to the Brookleigh road launch. I have, in the past, seen trout in that creek and some decent sized ones too.

That would be why the carp are there as well

Last edited by a moderator:
The stream Kildonan was speaking of is called O’Donnell Creek. The Victoria Golden Rods and Reels did a lot of stream enhancement there. I helped out quite a few times as a volunteer. The trout in Elk/Beaver spawn in surprisingly large numbers in that creek as well as Colquitz creek.

were abouts on the lake are these creeks, I would love to fish around them.

kunni

ah, i see :D

kunni

Well I hit elk lake today, in hopes of getting some fish on chironomids. I met up with James(Biakabatuka), and another fly fisherman. I got skunked, but still had alot of fun, but the other fly fisherman was hitting fish. Does anyone know about any honey holes at elk lake?

kunni

No but judging by the amount of people that hang around the fishing dock, don't go there. Probably fished out.

No but judging by the amount of people that hang around the fishing dock, don't go there. Probably fished out.

.... Really.. its a lake. lol

Trout move around all the time, and eat what ever is in front of them, and there eyes are positioned to look upwards... and are mostly sight feeders. People fishing at the dock employ powerbait off the bottom, which is the opposite of a trouts habits.(sits close to bottom, scent, out of trouts sight unless its swimming along the bottom) no doubt it catches fish... but i out fish anyone using power bait trolling flys out of a boat.

carp naturally go dormant around 4 degrees Celsius... water temperature. so they are much more opportunistic and sluggish in the cooler water. they spawn when the water warms up. My guess is in Victoria around late may to mid June.

Thanks Karma Kazi, I put on a bloodworm at one point, but swapped out after about 1 hour. Then I fished chronis the rest of the time. Are you fishing in 20-25 ft of water around structure, or on the flat muddy bottom?

kunni

Oh, KK are you letting them sit, or are you slowly retrieving the micro leach. I assume you are letting the bloodworm sit.

kunni

Well, I have good luck today at elk lake. I got 3 small trout on chronomids on the bottom, finally broke the skunked streak. I was fishing in 40ish ft of water highway side.

kunni

I move around alot until somthing works. I like muddy areas of the lake in the early spring as its where alot of insect growth occurs. I like to vary my retrieve until somthing starts to work then keep trying whats working. alot of the time micro leeches will still be hit with no retrieve.

-KK

Thanks for the tips, I was letting my chronomids sit 12inches off the bottom, no retrieve. I will have to try a slow retrieve. what color of micro leaches are you fishing? I have had the best luck on dark purple, but that was last year before I wanted to chronomid fish.

kunni

Back