Elk Lake

Steelhead S2

How the heck do you catch trout in Elk Lake? Tried a few times over the years, and never ever any success. Going to give it one more chance this Friday. Based on what I read about the derby, planning to troll leech flies slowly. Any pointers? Thanks.

Gang troll and a worm will almost allways work. Hit it in the morning, don't hit it when it's hot out, and be sure to vary your depth, it really tends to "stratify" in terms of water temperature and visability layers. This comes to me from a former Saanich police diver who on occasion was tasked with looking for "things" in the lake.

Or even better just follow Porcupine around LOL!

Elk is a fishy lake, I'd look for them with old proven lures (IE, Bait, small frog flatfish, perch scale flatfish), then once you find them (the fish) start dragging plugs and whatnot for quality fish.

I've rarely fished Elk with lures, but I've seen a few guys at the boat launch with 5 and 6" Tomlic plugs on their rods cleaning fish, so I'm sure there is something more to it.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

This past weekend, those anglers trolling a small bead head black leech fly with red tinsel wrapped around the body were hammering them. Big ones too! :D

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to drag leech flies, maybe a bit on the bigger side. But I'll have the hardware along so I can change things up. In the past I've generally stayed closer to shore, but I think I'll explore more area too. Anyway, it sounds like fishing has been good so I am confident in spite of my history. :)

Thanks! I was thinking big leeches big fish, but I have a box full of micros. I'm just not used to fishing for big trout. [:I]

quote:Originally posted by Steelhead S2

How the heck do you catch trout in Elk Lake? Tried a few times over the years, and never ever any success. Going to give it one more chance this Friday. Based on what I read about the derby, planning to troll leech flies slowly. Any pointers? Thanks.

[8)] I don't know!!! It is unusual for me to not catch a trout, at least a little one, when I try. All I can think is really bad luck and really bad timing? I have never concentrated on fishing it, but still, I feel very inadequate. :(

Going to turn things around though. This Friday!

To be honest, I once picked up a 2" yellow perch while dragging a small fly. But I don't really count that.

S2 ..... Try a small perch rapala. The rainbow ones are great too

[B)] [:I] [:eek:)] It's official: I CAN NOT CATCH FISH IN ELK LAKE! All my friends in the other boat caught fish. My friend in my boat caught fish, using my gear. Every other boat out caught fish within sight of me. But I caught nothing. Few bits on flies, and a few more trolling a variety of gear, but I suck. Seriously. Nevertheless, I had a great time on the water. A beautiful afternoon, and a great break from studying.

Thanks for all the tips though guys. They paid off for everyone but me!

always better luck until next time....if trollin' doesn't work out, try to anchor and drop the powerbait to the bottom and reel up a little bit. My old friend outfished me by using this method..I have netted his 5 pound trout and that was about 10 years ago at Elk Lake summer evening.

Fish langford! :p I hit a bunch on nice ones in there today using the power bait method!!!

Give it a go!! :p never had much luck in elk!

Trolling for trout, best for me is Berkley metallic perch plug, deep diver 10' version, ReefRunner 4" in silver/black, Norman ?? 2'-5' model in red craw, flatfish/kwikfish in skunk and yellow/black-spot, Magwart black silver speckles. Follow the contours. On the top, very slow speed dragging a 6" black bluetail or pumpkin yellowtail powerbait worm.

Sitting around or controlled-drifting, 1/8oz white jighead with (Powerbait or Nitro) trout worm in blood red, worked up & down the water column very slow mini-jerks. Work this very slowly like a chironomid. Alternate is small 1/16-1/8 oz bullet weight painted white or glow-white, bit of white powerbait for a head, same troutworm on size 8 hook. Same action. You could use a natural or black worm but the head has to be white.

For this, you most often can't feel the take so your rod needs to show the slightest moves even for 4# fish. I use long graphite crappie rods, an old 9' glass Browning noodle rod and an EagleClaw UL 4'6" glass rod for these, depending on the reel & line I want to use. The tips show everything going on down there without spooking the fish with resistance.

A centerpin rod would work well for this if it isn't too long for comfort & landing a fish in your boat.

This setup works well on kokanee too.

Good Luck!

Back