Elk lake bass!

Prawnhunter

I keep hearing that elk and beaver lakes in Vic. Have both large and small mouths, has anyone seen largemouth first hand? I have only caught smallies, perch, rainbows, and carp.

Yes, they are extremely aggressive and take top water lures! Loads of fun last 2 hours till dark is best I find!!! Enjoy!

-Steve

The largemouth seem the cruise the bays between the lakes before they get choked with weeds. Storm makes a crankbait with a rubber azz end. Thats about the only thing I have had any luck with. It seems to me that the largemouth are more difficult to catch than the smallies.

I will ad that there are a lot of good sized largemouth that I have seen.

Can't speak for Elk Lake as it's on my to-do list, but I fished a lot of largemouth in the Kootenays. Best trips were the hottest days of the year, 7 PM till Dark, fishing weedless top-waters or poppers on the edge of the weeds or right in them. Explosive strikes, Tons of fun! Largemouth will hit top-waters way more than the Smallies but get your lure right in the weeds and use heavy line as once they hit they like to head to bottom wrapping the line in the weeds as much as possible. Use a stiff rod and good line and horse them out.

Our best trip was landing and releasing 36 fish in three hours. Some were over 26 inches and 6 # plus! Kept enough for a couple of dinners and put the rest back. Good Times!

If I get down there this summer holidays I'll look you up and we'll hit'em hard.

I pulled my biggest small I have ever caught out of elk lake rough guess was 7-8 lbs as I have caught and weighed a lot of 5 and 6 pounders and it was a lot bigger!! Caught a duck there too lol.

Talking to a buddy from work that lived in Vic a few years ago and used to fish Elk all the time. His biggest largemouth was a solid 8# on the scale and then released. Provided it hasn't died of old age, and based on normal growth rates, that lunker could be a new Canadian record pushing over 10# now!

If anyone interested i have great selction of lrg. plastic baits(worms,grubs etc.) also a few plugs for lrg. & sm. mouth bass i'll willing to part with some @ a good price P.M me for details.
....Sammyslabber

Back