Electronics recommendations?

I have a new-to-me Double eagle 185 and I'm looking to install some new electronics. I'm primarily interested in a chartplotter/fishfinder combo unit and would like to keep it around $1k or under. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of the choices and integration options, ones that come with charts and transducers, and ones that don't. It would be great to tie in engine info if possible (2012 Suzuki Df140) but not sure how easy that is to do? Can anyone offer up any suggestions on a good unit or option? Any must haves? A good place to call for phone advice?

I'd plan to be fishing/crabbing/prawning a medium amount and family exploring a fair bit. There's some boat show specials on right now but having a hard time getting started. 2nd part of the question is whether installation is usually part of the package or a separate cost? I would like to support local business but I want to make sure that where I buy from is easy to get the boat into. I'm currently on the Gulf islands so Saanich/Vic is my closest option. Thanks in advance!

Here’s a recent discussion thread regarding new electronics. A larger screen really makes a difference. And the better the transducer, the better quality the returns you will get on the chartplotter. You might also want to plan for integration of a VHF radio so you can leverage the DSC features of the VHF to send a distress signal with your GPS coordinates. Lastly, consider where you will mount it. If you intend to mount the chartplotter on your dash with good visibility to the sky, then you won’t require a GPS antenna. But if you decide to install it flush mounted into your dash, you’ll want to get a GPS antenna to make sure you don’t have issues acquiring satellite signals.
Link to Buying Electronics Thread

if up island then HC is your goto place ... garmin, simrad /lowrance are your most common but most modern electronics are all good ...
go play with displays and see which GUI/os you like ....
you can get good deals on second gen or older models /used ... but be aware could no longer be supported.... my recommendation is for 2X 7" min or 9" head units with one for chart and other for data /sonar ....

I have a new-to-me Double eagle 185 and I'm looking to install some new electronics. I'm primarily interested in a chartplotter/fishfinder combo unit and would like to keep it around $1k or under. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of the choices and integration options, ones that come with charts and transducers, and ones that don't. It would be great to tie in engine info if possible (2012 Suzuki Df140) but not sure how easy that is to do? Can anyone offer up any suggestions on a good unit or option? Any must haves? A good place to call for phone advice?

I'd plan to be fishing/crabbing/prawning a medium amount and family exploring a fair bit. There's some boat show specials on right now but having a hard time getting started. 2nd part of the question is whether installation is usually part of the package or a separate cost? I would like to support local business but I want to make sure that where I buy from is easy to get the boat into. I'm currently on the Gulf islands so Saanich/Vic is my closest option. Thanks in advance!
It’s easy to spend thousands on electronics . I didn’t want to break the bank so opted for a MDF with a 7” screen which I use as the sonar/ fish finder , spent a little over a $1K on that . Then I purchased a 10” tablet with GPS for $300. I use that with the navionics app . The combination works well and didn’t drop a future . The problem with the smaller and cheaper 5 or 7 inch screens is when you’re running them in split screen mode they suck for viewing . 10” tablet for the navionics is cheap and easy to view , just make sure it has GPS capabilities and your good.7” MDF paired up with a P66 Transducer and you end up in good shape for a boat of your size. My 2cents

It’s easy to spend thousands on electronics . I didn’t want to break the bank so opted for a MDF with a 7” screen which I use as the sonar/ fish finder , spent a little over a $1K on that . Then I purchased a 10” tablet with GPS for $300. I use that with the navionics app . The combination works well and didn’t drop a future . The problem with the smaller and cheaper 5 or 7 inch screens is when you’re running them in split screen mode they suck for viewing . 10” tablet for the navionics is cheap and easy to view , just make sure it has GPS capabilities and your good.7” MDF paired up with a P66 Transducer and you end up in good shape for a boat of your size. My 2cents
I would just caution that, in my experience, there is a significant difference in brightness, response time, and position accuracy between a tablet and a chartplotter. Chartplotters are optimized for viewing in all conditions and substantially brighter - they are optimized for marine navigation. Even on the brightest setting, I’ve found it difficult to impossible to view a tablet screen in sunlight. If you’re very familiar with the waters you are navigating and always avoid inclement weather, then maybe it’s ok for basic navigation. I think tablets are great for planning routes and creating waypoints that you then upload to a chartplotter ... I do that quite regularly. But from my perspective, I’d be hesitant to recommend relying on a tablet for safe & reliable navigation.

I would just caution that, in my experience, there is a significant difference in brightness, response time, and position accuracy between a tablet and a chartplotter. Chartplotters are optimized for viewing in all conditions and substantially brighter - they are optimized for marine navigation. Even on the brightest setting, I’ve found it difficult to impossible to view a tablet screen in sunlight. If you’re very familiar with the waters you are navigating and always avoid inclement weather, then maybe it’s ok for basic navigation. I think tablets are great for planning routes and creating waypoints that you then upload to a chartplotter ... I do that quite regularly. But from my perspective, I’d be hesitant to recommend relying on a tablet for safe & reliable navigation.
I agree I tried that route, but was much happier with a pair of 7” screens.
garmin sounder and a lowrance hook GPS with charts. I was like $1000 for the two combined doing some shopping around.

I agree I tried that route, but was much happier with a pair of 7” screens.
garmin sounder and a lowrance hook GPS with charts. I was like $1000 for the two combined doing some shopping around.
I too would agree with that, I tried the ipad and ended putting in a Garmin 942 to go with the 10 inch display. I ordered it on sale last year from GPS central. Which reminds me I have a nice IPAD Ram mount if anyone is interested in buying it. dual suction cup used only a few times

Your price range just about gets you into a 7" multi function display (MFD) that gives sonar and GPS plus the ability to display engine data. Start off with this basic single screen setup. Fancier transducer can be added later if you see the benefit, likewise other bells and whistles like NMEA network to pull in engine data (starter kit is about $100).

If you start with a good head unit with networking capabilities you can later add in a second screen, radar and so on.

Your price range just about gets you into a 7" multi function display (MFD) that gives sonar and GPS plus the ability to display engine data. Start off with this basic single screen setup. Fancier transducer can be added later if you see the benefit, likewise other bells and whistles like NMEA network to pull in engine data (starter kit is about $100).

If you start with a good head unit with networking capabilities you can later add in a second screen, radar and so on.
Yeah I think this might be the way I go - buy a good unit with expansion capabilities. I am also realizing that $1k is not so realistic for future proofing. I'd hate to regret my purchase right away. Now I'm looking at the Lowrance Elite FS 9 or the Garmin 942xs but I'd be doubling my costs (at least) once I factor in a transducer - haven't gone done that rabbit hole yet. I'd like to get something that I'm happy with for the next 5+ years.

Last year, I bought a Garmin 942xs and the TM21 transducer from GPS Central for $1250 shipping and taxes in. I’m pretty happy with the unit so far and have also hooked it up to another smaller Garmin unit that I use as sonar. Pretty easy to install and hook up the network. You really don’t need professional installation as long as you’re comfortable with basic DIY.
As far as the engine data goes, it’s just basic NMEA installation but you should first contact your dealer and inquire about the particular kit that works with your model year. I have a 2005 DF140 and I wasn’t able to find the NMEA kit for that model year ANYWHERE in the world! Do some online research. There’s a ton of info on Suzuki forums.

Now I'm looking at the Lowrance Elite FS 9 or the Garmin 942xs but I'd be doubling my costs (at least) once I factor in a transduce
Pretty common situation; especially for boats; what you'd like to spend & what you need to spend don't match-up.
Depends on your expectations. Back in the day, we had no chart plotters & we could determine how deep the water was but that's about it; $150 & you were done. Today, you can have charts with bathymetric contour lines up to every six feet & can capture sounder data to make your own bathymetric charts. A good CHIRP transducer will reliably mark Salmon (harder to see because they have a small twin bladder) & tell you whether or not a flat bottom is rock or sand.
For saltwater in our area I don't think the side/down/forward scan sonars are worth much - they use a very high frequency transducer that is great for composing 3D pictures of tree branches don't don't work beyond 120 feet of depth or so.
For fishing & prawning you will want a good bathymetric "fishing" chart chip. For prawning (unless somebody gives you lat/long coordinates) you need a transducer that will determine bottom hardness in 300ft of water
Screen size costs the most. Built-in fish finder features drive-up the cost. See if you can find a unit w/o the built-in charts & scanning SONAR & get the best ; CHIRP transducer you can afford, probably Medium frequency CHIRP.

You can post questions on the Furuno support forum; they are based in Camas WA fish our area, & will answer your questions in a day or so.
Ask the question in a generic non-brand way like "which transducer will give good bottom harness discrimination for prawning in 300ft of water.

Last year, I bought a Garmin 942xs and the TM21 transducer from GPS Central for $1250 shipping and taxes in. I’m pretty happy with the unit so far and have also hooked it up to another smaller Garmin unit that I use as sonar. Pretty easy to install and hook up the network. You really don’t need professional installation as long as you’re comfortable with basic DIY.
As far as the engine data goes, it’s just basic NMEA installation but you should first contact your dealer and inquire about the particular kit that works with your model year. I have a 2005 DF140 and I wasn’t able to find the NMEA kit for that model year ANYWHERE in the world! Do some online research. There’s a ton of info on Suzuki forums.
Are they located in the US?

Who remembers these sweet bastards. Thought I’d entered the space age in 78 when I got one of these.

Attachments

• 188B99BC-99E0-4AD3-B1DC-96CB262606C1.jpeg
    188B99BC-99E0-4AD3-B1DC-96CB262606C1.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 25
Hey Pescador, my dad had one of those with the paper roll as well, it was good for seeing what you ran over and where they were laying, particularly while fishing the rocks around Camel in the 80's when there were monsters lurking. Hated the smell of it when the stylist was on tho

Yeah I think this might be the way I go - buy a good unit with expansion capabilities. I am also realizing that $1k is not so realistic for future proofing. I'd hate to regret my purchase right away. Now I'm looking at the Lowrance Elite FS 9 or the Garmin 942xs but I'd be doubling my costs (at least) once I factor in a transducer - haven't gone done that rabbit hole yet. I'd like to get something that I'm happy with for the next 5+ years.
A useful feature of the MFDs is you can overlay data onto most screens. You can have a virtual dashboard with all the engine info like speed, rpm, voltage, fuel burn, temp, etc displayed to look like analog gauges, but that takes up the screen. Split screens on anything below 10-12" size leaves both screens too small to be useful, hence the second screen networking capability. Two 7" displays usually cost less than a single 12" from the same product series...

But the data overlay option can help a lot. I have engine data showing full time on my GPS screen, so when I'm cruising I can see engine temp, voltage, water pressure, fuel economy and the depth under my keel at a glance. When I stop to fish, and switch to a sonar screen, this time the overlay data is water temp, battery voltage and speed over ground. I find most of the time I don't need to use split screens.

I got along OK for 5 years with a single HDS 7, just bought a second hand HDS 10 to help out the old eyes. Might move the 7 aft and network them to share transducer.

Back