Electronics predicament...

bcbassfishing

Well to the all knowing crew I gotta ask what to do here... My new boat has a Humminbird Helix 7 in it but always been a Garmin guy. I try'd my Garmin bluechart chip but it doesn't work with the Humminbird unit. So was planning putting a cheep Garmin unit in and use the Helix as strickly a mapping unit with a Navonics chip installed as I have lots of room for 2 screens and large mapping screen would be really nice. Big question really is how is the Helix for mapping as I really liked my Echomap but they are becoming unfriendly price wise.

I have the Helix 7 but haven't had anything else recently to compare. From what I have experienced the charts are bang on. What I also like is that it has the RCA's on it.

I have the Helix 7 but haven't had anything else recently to compare. From what I have experienced the charts are bang on. What I also like is that it has the RCA's on it.
I have a Helix 7 also in my boat as well as a Lowrance Elite 5. I like the Helix for mapping, it is easier to read than the Elite, has better colour definition, and has the RCA's as you have mentioned. The sonar with the Helix 7 is good also, shows the bait well and does show fish signals at times.
I keep the Elite set to charting only and erase my tracks when they get cluttered, then eliminate the tracks on the Helix at an appropriate time so that I keep a record of where I was getting fish (offshore for coho in the current lines for instance). The Helix is o.k. to view with half sonar and half mapping.
...Rob

Right on guys... maybe I can sell my Blue chart and recoupe a little cash for a chip the hummer can read. thanks for the input

Hummingbird guy here too. I run a Helix 12 G4N and a Helix 7 G3N. They take a little to get used to getting around in them and getting them dialled in and set for what application you are running them for but once you do they read as well as anything out there. Take some time and look around on youtube some very good instructional videos on there on how to get them dialled in. As far as charts go yes very well displayed and can be updated often with your Navionics membership if you chose to go that route. As far as sonars not reading well for some people I believe some people aren’t the best setting those up. I have the very basic transducer at this point and will be upgrading in the near future but as it sits I have no issue with how it reads. Tracking bottoms in 300’ of water at speeds up to 25 mph is not an issue. But like I say Hummingbird is not as plug and play as say Garmin but once you get then set they are fine units.

Back