Electric fishing reels

U

uhuge

Is it illegal to use electric fishing reels for halibut in Canada?

You have to be handicapped to use them, similar to the old downrigger rule. We hear the 'Mericans using'em when it's foggy on Swiftsure. Bzzzzzzzzt Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt Bzzzzzzzzt.

I have a way that is ALMOST as easy, and still somewhat sporty.

What I use is a Scotty Striker rod holder (for Hali's only, I can't get the rod out as fast as I would like to for salmon). If you do a LOT of hali fishing, you have to take the thumbscrew off and tighten it with a wrench as the gears on mine got stripped in a hurry, I now have wood screws in around where the stailess bars leave the base. My Penn 9/0 Hali reels will sit upright in 'em, so I just have the guest put one hand on the reel, the other hand on the crank, and it's just like a boat trailer winch, except it has a tasty halibut on the other end, and it's quite effortless.

EDIT: Before the electric downrigger question gets asked, I have also "heard" that putting your terminal gear directly on the downrigger and trying to bring up hali's that way will just break the belt and spool the 300 ft of line off the drum on the fishes first run when you hit the on switch.:D

I have thought about that for when I troll solo with 2 rods because I like to clear the second rod out of the water for netting. Winding in the second rod while playing the fish, then winding in my manual downrigger while playing the fish gives me a little more adrenaline than I need, but I still try to do it anyway.

woops I was talking about Springs not butts. Sorry. If it really requires a doctors note, I bet your doctor would be happy to give you a letter endorsing the fact that it would be beneficial to your health and well being to have an electric reel.

quote:Originally posted by dog

I have thought about that for when I troll solo with 2 rods because I like to clear the second rod out of the water for netting. Winding in the second rod while playing the fish, then winding in my manual downrigger while playing the fish gives me a little more adrenaline than I need, but I still try to do it anyway.

i did that for years, 2 manual riggers down 80-120' , fish hits on one, and watch the pandemonium. trying to clear 2 sets of gear and
land a fish by your self....
i kinda miss those days :D

Double headers by yourself are a lot of fun too !!Has that happen to me at Langara. Had about 10 boats as an audience, laughing at me. Landed them both,two cohos, a 12 and a 14 !!

The illegality of power reels went out when power downriggers became legal. You can use them.

But like any other gear you can only attach a max of 1kg to the line unless it's hooked to a quick release. Also running terminal gear directly to the down rigger wouldn't fly ( can you say "meat line"? :))

RC

I know I will get flamed for this but I use them and love them. I like to concentrate on really deep fishing for halibut and lings. 520 feet is the shallowest off of the coast we fish. I have two areas picked off of our coast this year that are 1100 feet deep and one almost 1600 feet deep. These are basically unfished waters. These are mountains and valleys that are really really deep. These big halibut have to travel through these areas to get to the banks we target. There are a lot of different electric reels and qualities.

Our biggest halibut holes opened to us are at least 500 feet deep for the few days its open. We really have to maximize our short fishery in the ocean.

" 520 feet is the shallowest off of the coast we fish"
Well if people in BC had to deal with those depths I'm sure attitudes here would change.

I have a 9/0 electric but have never had the guts to use it I don't think they are legal in Washington State but it is good to here that you can use them in BC. Last year I brought it to Barkley but my freind threated to toss it over if I used it. Since it was his boat it stayed in the duffel bag maybe next year.

I second the deep water comfort of electric reels - or at least I can imagine how nice they would be.

My closest decent Halibut water is 600-700ft deep - good fishing and a good work out. All manual until I can no longer crank those 4lb sinkers from below for the bait check.

Gots to try me some of this Halibut fishing one of these days, just listening to the reeling stories has me in a cold sweat of anticipation :)

quote:Originally posted by battaglino

I have a 9/0 electric but have never had the guts to use it I don't think they are legal in Washington State but it is good to here that you can use them in BC. Last year I brought it to Barkley but my freind threated to toss it over if I used it. Since it was his boat it stayed in the duffel bag maybe next year.

I don't think so.

quote:Originally posted by SIR

Gots to try me some of this Halibut fishing one of these days, just listening to the reeling stories has me in a cold sweat of anticipation :)

Reeling up is lot of g-darn work but the filets you peel off at the cleaning table sure do make you smile. White gold!!

Time what do you mean I don't think so? It is legal to use electric reels in BC.

Well, you may have me..
I've rechecked the BC regs, and you are right, there is no specific prohibition on the use of electric reels.

Down in Washington State, I notice, you're regs explicitly give permission to use electric reels "if designed for sport fishing and attached to a fishing rod"

Here, under our regs are for halibut, (and salmon), it is legal to catch them by "angling":

"angling" means fishing with a hook and line, with or without a rod."

Now, I'm not a lawyer to get into defining whether or not "angling" can include a powered reel, nor do I want a debate on the philosophy behind the writing of laws and regulations, e.g., if it is not expressly approved (as electric reels are in Washington state), it is forbidden, versus, if it is not forbidden, then it must be ok (as may be the case in BC).

So, I guess I have to amend my original statement to read "I hope not".

Back