Electric brakes on trailer

timbuk2

Hello all,

Looking at a boat and trailer around 6000 lbs and it's equipped with electric brakes. In all my other searches, the manufacturers/ dealers put on surge brakes. It's the only manufacturer/dealer I've found that has put on electric brakes on a boat trailer and I'm quite sure it would have cost more than the surge. I've been told by the same dealers with surge brakes that electric brakes may have issues with salt water use. Of course, the one with electric brakes has their own opinion. However, in most trailering situations from RV's to utility trailers, as one goes up in weight, electric brakes tend to be the choice of many... Why is this? Any input or experience would be appreciated.

Just to add, they've also put on electric brakes on their boat trailers with a GVW of 4000 lbs.

T2

Last edited by a moderator:
Over 6160 pounds you are required to have electric or electric over hydraulic brakes. Usually electric are on RV's whereas boat trailers use electric over hydraulic for the salt water issues you mentioned.
there is lots of good info on her if you do a search.
Is this a new trailer or used trailer you are looking at?

Trailer Brake Requirements
•Gross trailer weight of 1,400 kg (3,080 Ibs) or less – Brakes are required if the trailer and its load weigh more than 50% of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.
•Gross trailer weight of 1,401 kg (3,081 Ibs) to 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) – Brakes are required, including a breakaway brake.
•Gross trailer weight of more than 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) – Brakes are required, and the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes. A surge brake does NOT meet this requirement. A breakaway brake is also required. Brakes are required on all axles.

Electric brakes on a boat trailer should not be allowed. Within a year you will want/need to replace them. All the above info on trailers by SR is correct-my comments are based solely on experience having gone from electric, then converted to electric over hydraulic drum and finally now(same trailer) electric over hydraulic disc. Electric brakes on a boat trailer are almost impossible to keep working correctly-do yourself a favour-realize there is a cost to those things and either negotiate a different braking system (if a new trailer) or if a used trailer-price in a new system cause you'll need it. You also asked why electric brakes are the choice of many and the answer is they are the cheapest and/or they don't know any better

Thanks for the input.

The trailer is new. The boat, trailer and motors are 5600 lbs. Add the 120 gallon fuel tank at full means another 700 lbs, plus gear, lets say 500 lbs. That'll bring it to around 7000 lbs.

My truck is a half ton with a towing capacity of 8100 lbs. I don't want to go anywhere near that. I did tow my last rig at about 3500 lbs with no problem at all. That trailer had surge brakes.

I didn't realize electric brakes were cheaper than surge brakes...

Thanks for the input.

The trailer is new. The boat, trailer and motors are 5600 lbs. Add the 120 gallon fuel tank at full means another 700 lbs, plus gear, lets say 500 lbs. That'll bring it to around 7000 lbs.

My truck is a half ton with a towing capacity of 8100 lbs. I don't want to go anywhere near that. I did tow my last rig at about 3500 lbs with no problem at all. That trailer had surge brakes.

I didn't realize electric brakes were cheaper than surge brakes...
It would appear that you are really close to the limit for surge brakes and maybe over. Electric brakes are pretty cheap if you have a controller already in your truck but be warned they don't last long in the salt!!

my EZLoader has electric over hydraulic disc brakes. no problems at all since 2006. i opted for the disc brakes because i was worried about drum brakes in and out of the salt. pretty easy to fresh water flush the disc system.

I have surge disc brakes but I am over the weight limit. I would like to switch to elec over hyd. Is it as simple as just buying the right actuator then installing it. My truck already has a built in brake controller.

Thanks for any replies.

yes you need the EOH controller and new coupler, and a new harness pigtail and plug pretty simple install, mine was all bolt on,
My 2013 gmc has the built in controller too but GM uses a feedback system and the EOH does not provide any feedback to the truck thus the EOH controller does not energize, you can buy an adapter for about 100+/ I just wired in a couple electric brake solenoids for about 30$ and mounted them on the tongue of the trailer,
now the truck sees the required feedback and energizes the Electric over Hyd controller and everything's happy
a couple hours in your driveway and your done

Back