Votes: 30 34.5%
  • I am against it

Votes: 56 64.4%
  • I don't plan to vote

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Here’s where I’m at vote no and rup or yes and rup

Atlest of narrowed it down lol

PR may be better, but THIS process to bring it to the people is a partisan political joke

I agree the mail in ballot is stupid, but I don't see how it is partisan.

As a rough approximation, look at this thread and the number of viewers (5800) compared to the few that voted here (80 ish). This Provincial referendum has already sunk due to lack of interest.
So far, about 90,000 ballots are in with these riding percentages:
FB_IMG_1541759261152.jpg

I agree the mail in ballot is stupid, but I don't see how it is partisan.
I think the reason many feel it is partisan is because there is no minimum return required and a mere 50% plus 1 is enough to form a decision. Many believe this has set the bar artificially low in order to make it easier for Special Interest Groups to hijack the results. It would have made much more sense to have added the question to the recent Municipal election ballot from the perspective of better returns, validated ballots and voter fatigue( caused by the recent Munnicipal campaigns). Make no mistake this referendum represents the love child of the Green NDP alliance and they desperately want it to pass, particularly the Greens. This whole process has been orchestrated to garner the result they want, which makes it hard to say any of it is non partisan.

Still trying to find out how many more MLA's and staff added in PR system ?
A lot will depend on how many Parties are elected.The government passed a bill that lowered the amount of MLA’s required to get Official Party Status to two. Within a Party, the Leader receives an additional 25% salary, the Whip 10% and House Leander 10%. So to start you can see your bill going up by at least 35% for a two person Party.In addition Official Parties are entitled to Office Staff, Researchers, Travel and Various other Budget items. I’m not sure how much this works out to but likely not cheap.
As for how may MLA’s that will depend on what system we end up with and it could be from the current 87 to a predicted 95.

I think the reason many feel it is partisan is because there is no minimum return required and a mere 50% plus 1 is enough to form a decision. Many believe this has set the bar artificially low in order to make it easier for Special Interest Groups to hijack the results. It would have made much more sense to have added the question to the recent Municipal election ballot from the perspective of better returns, validated ballots and voter fatigue( caused by the recent Munnicipal campaigns). Make no mistake this referendum represents the love child of the Green NDP alliance and they desperately want it to pass, particularly the Greens. This whole process has been orchestrated to garner the result they want, which makes it hard to say any of it is non partisan.
Once again I agree the referendum should have taken place during the municipal election, it just makes sense. But your comment about special interst groups hijacking the results cuts both ways. If it's easy for one side , then it would be easy for the other also.

Once again I agree the referendum should have taken place during the municipal election, it just makes sense. But your comment about special interst groups hijacking the results cuts both ways. If it's easy for one side , then it would be easy for the other also.
I would argue that those who want change would benefit by making change easier. For example do you think the 19% of voters who voted Green can not be more easily mobilized knowing that this is the only way they can gain power? You don’t think the NDP using their union contacts to preach the benefits to their members won’t have a significant impact? We know many large Unions are actively lobbying their members to follow the unions doctrine. My point being that the smaller the vote, the less impact average citizens will have. Look at protests, often well attended but do they represent the average Canadian or their own Special interest? How many Canadians take the time to organize or attend a counter protest.

I started watching the leaders (?) debate last night.
Had to turn it off after 5 mins , couldn't stand the two ninny's arguing.
As the vancouver sun says loud but useless. That is probably better for the no side though as nothing was cleared up, Horgan couldn't or wouldnt explain anything and basically we just need to vote for it and trust that the parties that control the process (via FPTP) will look after the details in a nonpartisan manner.

I would argue that those who want change would benefit by making change easier. For example do you think the 19% of voters who voted Green can not be more easily mobilized knowing that this is the only way they can gain power? You don’t think the NDP using their union contacts to preach the benefits to their members won’t have a significant impact? We know many large Unions are actively lobbying their members to follow the unions doctrine. My point being that the smaller the vote, the less impact average citizens will have. Look at protests, often well attended but do they represent the average Canadian or their own Special interest? How many Canadians take the time to organize or attend a counter protest.
So responding to the top 10 ridings to return ballots from the graphic above: Six of them are Liberal ridings, Three are NDP and one is Green. So using your logic of NDP/ Green stacking the vote, why are there more Liberal ridings in the top ten returns than the other parties combined?

So responding to the top 10 ridings to return ballots from the graphic above: Six of them are Liberal ridings, Three are NDP and one is Green. So using your logic of NDP/ Green stacking the vote, why are there more Liberal ridings in the top ten returns than the other parties combined?
The graphic above has such a small sample size it is pretty much irrelevant. I would make no assumptions based on so little information. Give it some time. All it is showing so far is early apathy.

Talked to my neighbours the other day about this referendum and they said they pitched it in the recycle bin. "Too complicated" was the reason.

Will any of the options help us elect more competent politicians/MLAs and pay for their salaries and expenses for few years? I hate to see my tax $$ go to a bunch of useless puppets who only care about protecting their jobs and keeping the hold of power for long as they can.

I agree with Scott C. It was embarrassing to watch the "leaders" debate last night. IMO, if any of the proposed systems result in sending the same herd of incompetent people to the legislation, then I'd probably pitch it in the recycle bin too!

Last edited:
Talked to my neighbours the other day about this referendum and they said they pitched it in the recycle bin. "Too complicated" was the reason.
I'm not surprised at that reaction. My wife looked at hers and just handed it to me and said "I don't know what any of this means. You fill out however is best and I'll sign it when you're done."

Word for word.

You trying to say the Independant Contractors Association is not actively lobbying in the courts and otherwise to mobilize its base? Lol

Will any of the options help us elect more competent politicians/MLAs and pay for their salaries and expenses for few years? I hate to see my tax $$ go to a bunch of useless puppets who only care about protecting their jobs and keeping the hold of power for long as they can.

I agree with Scot. It was embarrassing to watch the "leaders" debate last night. IMO, if any of the proposed systems result in sending the same herd of incompetent people to the legislation, then I'd probably pitch it in the recycle bin too!
Actually Horgan tried to point out that in a PR system you tend to work collaboatively with other groups instead of just interupting the other side like the Liberal whiner did last night.

You trying to say the Independant Contractors Association is not actively lobbying in the courts and otherwise to mobilize its base? Lol
Not at all,where did I say that? I’m aware a court challenge was launched so I doubt I did, can’t even remember mentioning court challenges come to think of it!

Not at all,where did I say that? I’m aware a court challenge was launched so I doubt I did, can’t even remember mentioning court challenges come to think of it!
"We know many large Unions are actively lobbying their members to follow the unions doctrine"
Which large Unions are lobbying? What is their doctrine? Bill Tielmann is big in the FPTP camp and last time I checked an NDP supporter. Do you think that all Union Members vote like a flock of sheep?

Back