ECVI Prawning CR / Comox areas?

FishBC.org

Anyone prawning yet?.
Decent results?
Don't need your spots.
Just asking how you're making out is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same Lawman. Did well Sat and Sunday with repeated two hour soaks. What I learned by talking to a fellow who was doing a full day soak is that I was getting as many in two hours as he was all day same area, so I found by yanking often I maximized to my limits for 3 on board. Good eats!

I had to drive up to CR on Sunday you could have not had a better winter day to be on the water and I
couldnt get out.It appeared as though there were a dozen boats or so moving around the hump area etc.Anyone put a line down?

Sure did. 20 Had one down for twenty minutes only and popped a small winter spring. Apart from that worked the traps mostly this weekend.

Word is out, areas 15-2, 15-3 closed again Jan 1 - Mar 31.

1. Subareas 13-12, 13-16, 13-17 (Quadra Island area);
2. Subareas 15-2 and 15-3 (Lund area);

Where can I get a **** on DFO sticker again?

I am willing to bet money that they're allocating the whole works to commies to bring the feds money with exports.
This is not proper fisheries management at all. It's nothing more than a cash grab the way they're operating screwing over average people who fish to eat. Sickening.
After seeing this I am sure it's not DFO's agenda at all to close anything to maintain stocks anymore.
Closed rockfish even?

Does anyone else wonder if it's retaliation for their failed halibut lease quota system?
Sportsmen, and fishers for their own personal food suffer again, so the commies can fish to export.
So wrong.
Very corrupt.

The more I witness, the less I believe that anything done by DFO is for the benefit of the stocks for anyone other than their own commercial interests.
Might as well put the boat away as of Jan 1st.

This is becoming a really bad trend for recreational people, and local economies. What's next?

These closures are based on the results of prawn spawner index testing
conducted in October and November in Campbell River area

BIGGEST LOAD OF ******** EVER. THERE'S NO SHORTAGE OF PRAWNS THIS YEAR

The other known fact is the majority of us sportfishers throw egged females back to spawn.
We are the stewards of our waters in general, and appear to be the only ones with any common sense, and we're controlled by those with profit in mind.
The whole system is back asswards.

That area's been closed jan-mar for the past few yrs. Don't worry, we get a month or more at it before they hit it.

True lazoman, but the reasoning they're using to make the closure isn't true. I think they need someone competent to do the indexing if that's what they're relying on.

I guess at least in a few years I'll be able to spend my winters hunting Mammoths instead of wasting my time trying to feed myself from the sea.
At least DFO can't have a say in that.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/woolly-mammoth-cloned-111205.html

Ah work work work!
Looks like the only time I will have to get out for some christmas prawns is this Saturday.
I am based in CR and would like input as to whether I should take a chance on the Twin Islands while they are still open, or if my best bet is to find a hole on the east side of Cape Mudge.
Looks like the high tide is pretty early in the morning.
I have had some hit and miss times out prawning earlier this year and would appreciate any insight so I can bring a jag to Christmas dinner.
Any information in PM's will be held in confidence!!

Cheers

GS

Either could be good. Now that I'm out of the hosp going to see if I can hit a nice day on Francisco and will let you know results.

I am done work as on 7am tomorrow. Let me know if you want to go kill something.

Sure. The problem with my days owen is not knowing what time wife gets off work. She starts 9 am each day but her days are done when she's done, sometimes 1 pm, sometimes 4 pm. All depends how busy they are.
I know she gets xmas day off and probably boxing day, so it might have to be boxing day if weather is nice. I've missed so many nice days now because of her job, almost wonder if it's worth her working lol.

How many days off do you get?

Sure. The problem with my days owen is not knowing what time wife gets off work. She starts 9 am each day but her days are done when she's done, sometimes 1 pm, sometimes 4 pm. All depends how busy they are.
I know she gets xmas day off and probably boxing day, so it might have to be boxing day if weather is nice. I've missed so many nice days now because of her job, almost wonder if it's worth her working lol.

How many days off do you get?

Right now I am off till Jan.9th 2012.

Back