ECVI French Creek/Nanoose

BRS

We've been getting murdered by seals @ Gerald last couple of days. I talked to a guy who was at Ballenas this am and he said no fish were taken. Heard that a couple were taken @ Winchelsea this am. I've nothing good about Sangster this year so far, but maybe someone due to get lucky.

BRS

We've been getting murdered by seals @ Gerald last couple of days. I talked to a guy who was at Ballenas this am and he said no fish were taken. Heard that a couple were taken @ Winchelsea this am. I've nothing good about Sangster this year so far, but maybe someone due to get lucky.

Hey greg i sent a pm.

Funny story on saturday evening. We had just broke off a mid 20s fish to a seal after chasing it around for 10 mins. We got the gear right back down and nailed another teener that was also grabbed by a seal at the boat! We chased this one aswell mostly to try and get the gear back. Chased it right up onto the rocks and suddenly another fishing line crossed my line attached to the seal and started sliding up to the rod tip.I look down and heres the seal that just stole the last fish swimming past the seal that now has my other fish! Tried to grab my old line to no luck and lost the teener aswell [xx(]

On the plus side a fisheries biologist was at the dock and was interested in all the info of local seals taking fish so they are aware of how much they are impacting the sport fishery.

028-1.jpg

021.jpg

017.jpg

Hey Kelly,nice pics. Is that a green/white coyote in that fishes mouth? I know you keep denying it but now I know you truly LOVE the green/white. It's ok I got two at Gerald on the same spoon, both around 12lbs. I thought we lost the first to a seal but we managed to get it in. Put down the green/white and bang #2 spring on and bonked. I had two rookies on board and they got one each within ten minutes. We ran into Schooner for fuel and came back out and hit Ballenas and squat so we ran to Squitty Bay to get out of the wind and have some lunch. Went to Sangster for an hour and it was dead. Ran back over to Gerald and saw a guy standing on his bow waving madly so went over and he overheated and no kicker. I hooked up a tow line and dragged him to Beachcomber where he is moored. Anyway was a good day and once again the green/white coyote steals the show.BRS

Hey Kelly, I can't believe you got busted with that pic.Friggin hilarious, Hey Jon are you hearing this!! I have one of those holographic green ones and never really gave it a chance. I think I'll dig it out and dust it off and give her a second chance. Both fish were at 140ft and the other side was 180ft and nothing.BRS

Don't you guys carry sling shots or paint ball guns? Just pepper them all day long as soon as you see one in reach and they WILL indeed learn to stay away from your boat. Works pretty good most of the time.

hey guys, thanks for all tour great info on fishing this area it is much appreciated! I have always fished the west coast and north island and had way better success with fishing anchovies ? do you ever use them in the nanoose / french creek area?

Haha BRS i know im busted. It seems the fish are a bit shallower right now as i have heard of fish right up to 80-90ft.

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Don't you guys carry sling shots or paint ball guns? Just pepper them all day long as soon as you see one in reach and they WILL indeed learn to stay away from your boat. Works pretty good most of the time.

I have a stash of about 10 rocks from the size of a golfball right up to the 5 lb "finisher" haha. Have wizzed them inches from seals with zero results but have yet to connect.I dont want to hit one to hard but enough to teach them would be nice. Ill invest in the slingshot though it may help

Hey darinb. I fish chovies in other areas but they are not great around here. They are a hassel because you are fishing so deep and bouncing bottom so its difficult to check them alot or keep them in good shape.Combine that with the numbers of dogfish and their advantage over arificials disappears.

Have you guys tried various fireworks on the Seals? They can be launched from a slingshot.
I know the old firecrackers are not legal anymore, might be because they sound like a .22 ;)

A liar will assume you are lying

i start with a bottle rocket if that doesn't work I have air bombs on board, it's fun to shoot fireworks at seals and they always get scared away, usually just takes one good shot.

Fished Gerald last night from 7pm till sunset with not a sniff. There were 5 or so other boats around and I didn't see anyone get anything. I fished deep in between and finally shallow at sunset. I guess it's hit or miss mostly miss at the moment. I even had kelly's green & white spoon on, didn't think I'd miss anything with that.

Hey Mrwood, the two we got on Mon. were further towards the sparbuouy north of Gerald. I can't believe Kelly's favourite "go to" green and white didn't produce, maybe truly there are no fish left. I won't be back out for a while unless a get an invite from my buddy who may not be talking to me for a while. BRS

Hi BRS - I lost a nice one right at that spar bouy on Monday night. You would think that would be a good place but very few fish it. There was feed around it last night as well.

I'm always looking for someone to go out in the evenings, if you are into it. Surprising how few people want to go out (although I don't usually give them much notice). My boat is moored in Nuttal Bay I just row out to it from the beach. Can go most nights as I work from home.
Cheers

Mrwood i have been hitting fish at the far end of gerald towards amelia in tight to that gravel beach. There are alot of fish around in my opinion but the bites are very sporadic. The 3 hours around low ride are always the best bet.

BRS how come your boats not in? Charlies not talking or me because you caught the G/W spoon? I might be out next weekend (always a spot) but that will be it until august when i become a fiend and fish daily. Out of town for a while.

Back