ECVI French Creek/Nanoose

Fish are all over the normal spots right now but the bites are at odd times and short lived. Went 3 for 4 on springs but didnt fish them that long.12-23 lbs. Goofed around with lingcod and hooked some monsters. Bonked the smaller fish we hooked that were 15-20 lb and released one over 30. Got vid of the biggie and a few pics later. Fishings over now gotta get some work in.

Hey chris at ballenas the only part open is the lighthouse. Nice sand bottom and easy to fish except for one reef directly infront of lighthouse.

Hard to referance the size but it was a pig. Dwarfed the ones we bonked.

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd116/nuck43/?action=view&current=002-3.mp4

The one that has the big bulging stomach had a rockfish inside it.The rockfish had two big trebles with line in it and clearly it broke someone off recently.

020-1.jpg

Kelly, nice lings and salmon. Nice to see the lings coming back, that's great.
I went out last night fished the spar bouy off Nuttal Bay. Released a bunch of juvey lings,one spring about 10lbs just as the sun set. I notice some larger herring starting to show in the bellies.

I run 15lbs balls, if you use 12's go to about 230" on the downrigger. Just my thoughts.

Thanks Kelly, I am heading over to ballenas tomorrow. Nice fish.

TyeeMonstrausity

Hey Kelly did you see that blue 70 footer heading south past Gerald and thru the gap at Winchelsea and right to the dingy dock. I was on her she's a beauty I was cruizin at 26knots all the way. Mrwood the captain said you stopped by to say hi. If you get a chance see him when he gets back, his name is same as yours and he's a good guy. That boat was about 3mill new and didn't even have downriggers! Anyway hope to get out soon. BRS

I was out today at Ballenas for a few hours, I only got one hit and a nice ling. I then moved in front of FC and landed two springs 14lbs and 16lbs, both on confetti hootchi.

WAY TOO MANY SEALS AT BALLENAS!!:(

BRS how did you manage that ride?! Didnt see it but was in the area. Fishing seems average with most boats scraping 1 or 2 the last few days.Hooked 3 each day but only landed one yest and two today 20-23lbs. Some fish landed are starting to show some color already. Also hooked a massive ling today that felt much bigger than the 30 lber we landed last week but he got off right as we saw his shadow.

Chris what are you doing fishin down here im trying to get up to fish FC haha. Well have to get together for a fish soon my boats sittin in the water. The big whites we were hitting all august off of FC seem like they havent shown up yet. Every fish has been red.

Hey Kelly, our friends got a call to go on the boat to Nanaimo and we got to go as well. It was the one anchored in Nuttal Bay, the guy who chartered it has a waterfront place there. Still trying to get out this year is pretty much a write off as far as fishing goes. I never realized how much more you use your boat when it's moored the trailer thing sucks the big one!! Call me when your'e going out and I'll try to go but I promised to finish painting the house.BRS

Anyone ever hit decent #s of socks out here? I hear rumours but no proof. Theres huge #s of them going by but i think the migration route is toward lasqueti.

Fished ballenas this morning for a bit on a buddies brand new boat to show him the area. Even in the lee side that 25 knot wind was annoying. Hit a 25 lb spring first pass 130ft small green/chrome (note not green/white :D) coyote. It had a treble broken off on its belly and was turning dark already. Nothing else except a snapper on a 602.

Forgot to say that we saw sockeye! First time ive seen that. Saw 3 jump and were marking them on the fish finder but didnt target them.

Used to work on a commercial troller and we had a few days of line loading in Sabine.
I've seen it absolutely thick with big sockeye.

Hey Kelly, sockeye at Ballenas? I have never fished for sockeye, west coast or here but I do know that there is a big run down the inside and I believe Sabine channel betwwen Lasqueti and Texada is where the commercial guys fish or used to fish. How deep were you marking them? What is the limit here? Glad to hear the green/chrome is workin for ya;)BRS

Ya i was thinking about looking for those sabine socks soon if we got a few guys together. But i have been marking what i think are socks at sangster aswell 40-60ft but havent seen any jumping until today at ballenas.

On a side note we had a scary call today. The guy didnt have his anchor properly secured on the anchor roller and in 5 ft slop doing 20 knots it fell in.By the time i got on the bow the anchor was fully out dragging bottom. I didnt have time to grab a knife incase the anchor grabbed on and luckily i got the rope back on the anchor winch before it did grab on. Tied directly to the bow in those conditions it could have been ugly. I was amazed at what 20-25knots from the SE was able to stir up.

Back