Dye and brined trout and Kokanee for halibut.

GottaGo

Hello everyone I’ve watched a few YouTube vids on dyed and brined trout and Kokanee for halibut bait, just wondering if anyone has done the same and had any luck with it. I brined and dyed some herring last year for coho and they worked great. I will be pairing the dyed Kokanee with homemade jumbo hoochies and run that off a spreader bar. Again just wondering if anyone has tried this and had any luck.

Hello everyone I’ve watched a few YouTube vids on dyed and brined trout and Kokanee for halibut bait, just wondering if anyone has done the same and had any luck with it. I brined and dyed some herring last year for coho and they worked great. I will be pairing the dyed Kokanee with homemade jumbo hoochies and run that off a spreader bar. Again just wondering if anyone has tried this and had any luck.

Attachments

• DFFB80ED-3708-466F-92E7-BB569B2CA7BB.jpeg
    DFFB80ED-3708-466F-92E7-BB569B2CA7BB.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 72
  • EF94BB0A-4C0C-4B4E-A9D0-0220C19DC6FC.jpeg
    EF94BB0A-4C0C-4B4E-A9D0-0220C19DC6FC.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 69
The legalities aside, I personally find it offensive that awesome food and sport fish like kokanee and trout would be used like this. Heres a tip-- when you catch a salmon, take the gills and guts out and use them for fresh bait.

I can’t really see how it would be any differ t that using say a pink salmon you caught then cut it up for halibut bait? I could be wrong
Actually, you are wrong... It is illegal to use pink salmon for halibut bait. Which is kind of weird because you can use salmon bits and pieces, heads, tails and bellies etc.

Back