Fishing for halibut but getting rockfish

agusus

I'm in an area where I expected halibut (100-250' sandy bottom flatish) but am getting rockfish. I'm ok with that as long as they're legal ones. (sometimes spend a lot of time on descending!) What do you switch up in terms of lures / gear though?

I typically have a big herring on two 8/0 circle hooks on a spreader bar. But it seems rockfish love to attack a herring aggressively but they're often able to tear it off the hooks without getting hooked. Or they get hooked in a weird spot, not on the lip.

I think I need to switch to smaller circle hooks (like 4/0) or J hooks to increase hook-ups? I've also had some luck with artificial lures like a hoochie and putting a herring tail or some halibut belly skin on the hook. I'm guessing the bait piece should be like 2"x2" otherwise they'll be able to eat it off the hook?

With halibut + circle hooks you want to let them eat the bait for 30 seconds or so, but with rockfish it seems that's how much time it takes them to steal the bait off your hooks!

Try using salmon heads on a big circle hook.
most fish love herring so you'll get rats,dogs,rockfish and skates as by catch

I think your fishing the wrong spots,Rockfish don't hang out in Halibut spots.not saying it doesn't happen,but if your getting lots you need to move.And your hook sizes are off,should be 9 or 10 octopus hooks or 14 to 16 circle hooks.
Oh, I know I found more of a rockfish spot than a halibut spot, my question was about how to get better hook-ups on rockfish (less stolen bait and easier unhooking if I need to descend).

But, you're saying 9 or 10 octopus or 14-16 circle for halibut? Interesting... I'm using 8 to 9 gamakutsu octopus hooks actually. I had thought those are basically considered a type of circle hook. I also have a 16/0 true circle hook but haven't used it yet because I've been catching chicken halibut mostly and that big thick hook seems like it'd be hard to unhook on smaller halibut.

I think your fishing the wrong spots,Rockfish don't hang out in Halibut spots.
I dont know about that I get alot of halibut off rock piles that have rockfish on them many in fact , octopus also like rocky areas. your in a good spot if halibut are there and you can keep that rock cod filet it up and send down the carcasss you may be surprised!!!

I dont know about that I get alot of halibut off rock piles that have rockfish on them many in fact , octopus also like rocky areas. your in a good spot if halibut are there and you can keep that rock cod filet it up and send down the carcasss you may be surprised!!!
I stand corrected by a Pro.

I am sure a few Hali derbies have been won by targeting rockfish habitat. My understanding is once the Hali gets big enough that it can swallow rockfish whole they will not pass up the chance.

I am sure a few Hali derbies have been won by targeting rockfish habitat. My understanding is once the Hali gets big enough that it can swallow rockfish whole they will not pass up the chance.
YES i have a realllllllllllly nice scar on my wrist from such a huge halibut about 20 years ago sent down a rock cod carcass and got a monster within mins, was trying to get hooks out and the halibut closed its mouth on my hand and wrist that was the day i got LONG needle nose pliers. I dont fish those spots anymore but back in the day off oak bay there was some fantastic rock piles that held huge fish, and many a just for the halibut derby winnings came from them such spots...

Back