Duncans reply to my letter...

Islandgirl

Thank you for your correspondence. This is an important issue, please find below a copy of a statement that I released on January 20th, 2011.

Statement by John Duncan MP on Halibut Allocation
For immediate release

COURTENAY, JANUARY 20, 2011 – In recent weeks there has been considerable discussion on the issue of halibut allocation. I would like to take this opportunity to clarify my position on this issue.

Concerned anglers want to ensure that they maintain their access to a public resource. As a recreational fisher, this is a position that I strongly support.

There have been many developments in recent years that have influenced the management of and pressures on BC’s halibut stocks. For example, BC’s commercial halibut fishery changed to 100% monitoring using camera technology in 2006, and has become integrated with the ground fishery. The design of this fishery has ended bycatch waste and depoliticised the allocation of the resource within the commercial sector. At the same time, the commercial sector of the recreational halibut fishery (guides and lodges) has grown dramatically to become an important contributor to our economy, but has also increased pressure on the recreational allocation.

We are currently in a cyclical decline in Halibut abundance on the West Coast, to the point that the current total allowable catch is about half of what it was four years ago. This obviously puts pressure on all users of the resource as they try to maintain their livelihoods and recreational pursuits in the face of decreasing catch. In response to this, it is understandable that people are focusing on who gets access to the fish.

The key concern that we must focus on, however, is the sustainability of the resource. Management of this fishery, including allocation decisions, should be based on science, thorough monitoring and good management principles. There are many examples historically to demonstrate that decisions based on politics rather than science rarely yield the best result for the fishery.

A lasting and equitable solution will require all of the parties to work together in good faith and with the best interest of the resource in mind. Our primary concern must remain the health and sustainability of the fishery, and any change must provide a fair balance between the unique West Coast requirements of the First Nation, recreation and commercial sectors.

Sincerely,

Hon. John Duncan, MP
Vancouver Island North

Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development

Federal Interlocutor for Métis and Non-Status Indians and

Minister of the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency

Mr Duncan,

Your reply of copying and pasting a previous press release is not acceptable to me.
According to IPHC the stocks are healthy and it is one of the best managed fisheries in the world.
There is not a conservation concern.
The issue here is the gifting of 88% of a common resource that belongs to ALL the people of Canada to 436 individuls, that for the most part SELL this right to fish to someone else.
This is plainly wrong.
Please remember that more people over the age of 16in this country fish than play golf and hockey combined. OUR fundamental right to a common resource of Canada is being taken away. We the People will not stand for that and an election is coming.

Regards,

Minister of the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency -Duncan

Glad he's not the "Minster of the Western Economic Development Agency ;(

Mr Duncan,

Your reply of copying and pasting a previous press release is not acceptable to me.
According to IPHC the stocks are healthy and it is one of the best managed fisheries in the world.
There is not a conservation concern.
The issue here is the gifting of 88% of a common resource that belongs to ALL the people of Canada to 436 individuls, that for the most part SELL this right to fish to someone else.
This is plainly wrong.
Please remember that more people over the age of 16in this country fish than play golf and hockey combined. OUR fundamental right to a common resource of Canada is being taken away. We the People will not stand for that and an election is coming.

Regards,

Well Said Islandgirl. We need to let Mr. Duncan know the real issue over and over again. Copying and pasting his previous responce is just lazy. I am sure he is getting tired of all the letters and is doing this copy paste bs to a lot of people. Keep the pressure on this guy!!!!

I find it a bit ominous that Duncan is the Minister of Indian affairs, and perhaps he is being disingenuous as well.
Given that the Natives are ever challenging for more of the resource and that his job is to deal with them, actually cater to them for political expediency.......
Go to the top, never mind the junior management. Flood the PM's office and make sure the media is kept aware. Get Mike the border jumper involved, hell even get Taliban Jack onboard, see if he really is for the average peep. An election looms.

I got the same looser response from Duncan today as well.

Back