Ducklings

totally tyee

So a couple of years back I was out doing some smallmouth bass fishing on Elk Lake. A mother duck and 6 baby ducklings swam by and there was a big explosion of water, I looked over and there was only 5 ducklings left swimming. I swear to this day that it was a smallmouth. Anyone else seen this?
TT

Tyee,

Well you know we use poppers and surface bait for smallies, sometimes 6" long lures. So why not eat a chick? It will probably be more prevalent as the "largies" mature ... heck they may even go after small dogs!

... hmmm? what weight fly rod do I need to cast a Pekinese?

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

Yes there are a lot of small "largemouth" (kinda a contradiction of terms I know). I wa catching upti 12 per day in Elk upto 3/4 lb.

Largemouths will attack nearly any surface movement but the most aggressive is landlocked stripped bass which will herd bait fish to the surface and hammer them!!!

DHA,
Now I'm curious about the frogs as I'm sure my 4yr old would love to chase after something that big when the perch and bass aren't biting. Where did you see them again? How long ago was that?

Of course, the hard part will be convincing my wife that taking my son to a lake at night with a flashlight and a big net is a GOOD idea.

Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

My experiance on Elk lake would lead me to believe that it could have been either the frogs, as we used to flyfish for frog when I was younger, or the smallmouth. I say the smallmouth over the largemouth possibilities because of the average size between both as well as the smallmouth can be fished in the typical largemouth waters. They have developed the same characteristics in that lake as the largemouth. I believe it is due to the actual population of the smallies. They have been forced to survive in the shallow, weedy bays because the competition is too great in the main part of the lake.
I have seen schools of smallmouths corral shad fry up against a wave wall and absolutely destroy them. I have watched juvenile smallmouth follow behind ducklings during the spawn. I have also seen a large male smallmouth nip or splash a immature kingfisher.
There are many possibilites.. The end result of experiancing events like that is few people ever get the opportunity too.

Here's to mother nature and her spectacular outdoor shows. You have to appreciate it.

Terry Skipper
www.reactionbaits.com

Back