Driving an EV pickup

That is really quite amazing how far this has come. Ford is once again really changing the way people look at pickup trucks .

I can only imagine taking that truck camping after some of that bacon grease was spilled into a tough to clean spot.:eek:

View attachment 101479
And no more of noisy generators running at wilderness campsites. Now you can enjoy the quiet of natur while still benefitting from the creature comforts of your camper.

And our utility operators don't need to drag out noisy stinky diesel generators out to every jobsite to power a few tools and lights. So convenient to have a little power bank as part of your work vehicle. Gamechanger!

And no more of noisy generators running at wilderness campsites. Now you can enjoy the quiet of natur while still benefitting from the creature comforts of your camper.
Well, from what I can see they can't carry a camper or tow a trailer any significant distance yet. Once that happens, I am interested.

View attachment 101483
Tofino BC January 1st. At least the car just had the driver in it, I think it might be a legal towing situation, not like half tons loaded with people and a full bed and towing a camper. I think a lightening will tow just fine. **** when I’m loaded with camper and boat my mileage is crap.

Not all batteries are created equal. Tesla leads the way. At the time the hummer EV was announced GM was 10 years behind Tesla. No idea where Ford is at tho…

We should get a report on the ford battery with the cold front coming in? My e-bike battery gets hammered in the cold and when it is low accuracy seems to disappear.

the nice thing is battery costs seem to be dropping and investments in manufacturing batteries are increasing, so it seems like the perfect storm. Getting a lifepo4 100ah battery for $279 delivered to my door yesterday was insane compared to just 12 months ago at close to 2x the price, and it has more features added, including low temperature charging protection. Also when looking at charge controllers and their ability to communicate over Bluetooth, there is both BMS and charger communication and safety features that blow conventional alternator/battery combos away.

Pretty cool to be tailgating at the ski hill!

Power is cheap and completely renewable in BC, no wonder we have the most EVs in Canada. The home rate for most of us is 9.5 cents per kilowatt hour. Battery in my Lightning is 98 kWh. So a complete 0-100% charge would cost $9.31. A more likely scenario is charging from 20% to 85% (most auto makers say to cap everyday charging at 80-90% to extend battery lifespan). That would cost $6.05 (98 × 65% × $0.095)

Out on the highway it's a different story, just like eating at home is a lot cheaper than eating at a restaurant. The DC fast chargers that most people will seek out to minimise their charging time aren't cheap to build or maintain.

Petro Canada is 50 cents/minute for their 150 kW chargers. That same 20% to 85% charge equals 64 kWh. 64 kWh @ 150 kW = 0.42 hours, or 26 minutes. @$0.50/min, charge cost would be $13.

BC Hydro charges 27.4 cents for its DC fast (ish) chargers. For that 20-85% charge consuming 64 kWh, you'll pay $17.55.

So the cost to charge at a public station is about 2-3 times more than at home. Energy costs over time are going to be higher if you do a lot of highway driving.

Once at the destination, though, you could well find free places to charge. Lots of city councils and businesses have installed free or cheap AC chargers to encourage people to visit their tourist info centre, eat at their restaurant, stay at their hotel, shop at their mall, etc. Slower than the DC facilities but perfect for overnight ingredients or eating dinner, grocery shopping, walking dog, etc.

And remember you shouldn't expect to arrive at the end of a trip with a near-full charge. Not the usual practice with gas or diesel vehicle.
Hi, I think we have the most EV’s in Canada because we have the warmest weather in Canada and I don’t believe the battery would hold a charge during winter time anywhere else.
The correct price for electricity is “user pay”. I would not count on freebies in the future. The plan right now is to get us out of our gas guzzlers and into vehicles which limit our freedom to travel as we choose.
I like to go to remote locations.

What I dont get is people who think they are saving the environment by going E-V.
The amount of mining thats involved and the method is immoral. And much of the electricity is at times generated from “dirty” sources. And the disposal of the batteries are a nightmare. I don’t know if they can be recycled.

Please keep this thread updated. Everything is all rosy now, being shiny and new, but I would be curious as to how safe from electrical malfunction E-V’s actually are. Also I would be interested in their eventual resale value.

Thanks 🙂

View attachment 101483
Tofino BC January 1st. At least the car just had the driver in it, I think it might be a legal towing situation, not like half tons loaded with people and a full bed and towing a camper. I think a lightening will tow just fine. **** when I’m loaded with camper and boat my mileage is crap.
Met a couple on gabriola a few years back who towed their camper of similar size across Canada with their Tesla. Gotta be legal.

Hi, I think we have the most EV’s in Canada because we have the warmest weather in Canada and I don’t believe the battery would hold a charge during winter time anywhere else.
The correct price for electricity is “user pay”. I would not count on freebies in the future. The plan right now is to get us out of our gas guzzlers and into vehicles which limit our freedom to travel as we choose.
I like to go to remote locations.

What I dont get is people who think they are saving the environment by going E-V.
The amount of mining thats involved and the method is immoral. And much of the electricity is at times generated from “dirty” sources. And the disposal of the batteries are a nightmare. I don’t know if they can be recycled.

Please keep this thread updated. Everything is all rosy now, being shiny and new, but I would be curious as to how safe from electrical malfunction E-V’s actually are. Also I would be interested in their eventual resale value.

Thanks 🙂
Those environmental issues have been thoroughly discussed in numerous publications, and other threads.

Met a couple on gabriola a few years back who towed their camper of similar size across Canada with their Tesla. Gotta be legal.
Why is it illegal? As long as the vehicle is rated to tow the trailer then fill your boots. The Tesla pictured is a model S. They have 3500 pound towing. Model Y’s are the same, Model X is 5k. Model 3 is the lowest at 2200 which is enough to tow most 10ft tent trailers.

As for the other comment about all cars going electric. What worries me is what’s to stop the cost of electricity sky rocketing once the transition is made. Gas was cheep at one point to until we all became reliant on it. To this end unless I have a solar roof, I will keep an ICE vehicle on hand to offset any price fixing.

Why is it illegal? As long as the vehicle is rated to tow the trailer then fill your boots. The Tesla pictured is a model S. They have 3500 pound towing. Model Y’s are the same, Model X is 5k. Model 3 is the lowest at 2200 which is enough to tow most 10ft tent trailers.

As for the other comment about all cars going electric. What worries me is what’s to stop the cost of electricity sky rocketing once the transition is made. Gas was cheep at one point to until we all became reliant on it. To this end unless I have a solar roof, I will keep an ICE vehicle on hand to offset any price fixing.
I didn’t say it was illegal, I said it was legal. I was just commenting on something kael said.

Ford, Tesla and other manufactures list the payload of X but fail to give you a break down and if it includes passengers. GM does provide this information but you really have to search for it. When people load the crap out of their vehicle and tow they are often over payload due, cargo, passenger and tongue weight pushing them over the edge.

Here is a Tesla model S. Not many North Americans weight 150 pounds and when people go camping they often load the car with 3 passenger and gear. Realistically 400lbs of passengers and 200lbs of bags/coolers/shoes/paw patrol toys, then a tongue weight of 350lbs, pretty quick to get to max payload capacity. I'd prefer to have more than 4 lbs of capacity when going over summit pass. When you see one guy like I did in Tofino towing a reasonable size trailer with nothing in the car, then it looks legal. So often you'll see every available space crammed with stuff and people towing a big trailer, and I've seen it result in a flipped car when the trailer starts to sway.

Lightening is well equipped with 2000lb of payload to tow a nice size camper and carry two large adults and two kids and a reasonable amount of gear, but if you put in 4 guys over 250lbs, a couple coolers in the bed, it can change quickly.

Vehicle capacity weight954 lbs (433 kg)
Subtract occupant weight (2 x 150 lbs/68 kg)300 lbs (136 kg)
Available cargo weight654 lbs (297 kg)

My Ford dealer cold called me about buying my 2016 F-150 5.0 with 124000km.
I'm not interested and didn't give him the chance to make an offer, but he said two interesting things:
1) The big jump in price of new trucks has pushed the price of used way up. Kind of obvious.
2) Once you hit 160000 you might at as well keep it, because we won't want it.

My googling tells me my 7.5 year old $36000 truck is still worth $25-29k.

It will be interesting to see how many years/kms EV pickups can go and still be worth ~70% of initial price.
And what will be the value in percent the months before it could use a new battery?
We are talking ev for the next vehicle.

Ford, Tesla and other manufactures list the payload of X but fail to give you a break down and if it includes passengers. GM does provide this information but you really have to search for it. When people load the crap out of their vehicle and tow they are often over payload due, cargo, passenger and tongue weight pushing them over the edge.

Here is a Tesla model S. Not many North Americans weight 150 pounds and when people go camping they often load the car with 3 passenger and gear. Realistically 400lbs of passengers and 200lbs of bags/coolers/shoes/paw patrol toys, then a tongue weight of 350lbs, pretty quick to get to max payload capacity. I'd prefer to have more than 4 lbs of capacity when going over summit pass. When you see one guy like I did in Tofino towing a reasonable size trailer with nothing in the car, then it looks legal. So often you'll see every available space crammed with stuff and people towing a big trailer, and I've seen it result in a flipped car when the trailer starts to sway.

Lightening is well equipped with 2000lb of payload to tow a nice size camper and carry two large adults and two kids and a reasonable amount of gear, but if you put in 4 guys over 250lbs, a couple coolers in the bed, it can change quickly.

Vehicle capacity weight954 lbs (433 kg)
Subtract occupant weight (2 x 150 lbs/68 kg)300 lbs (136 kg)
Available cargo weight654 lbs (297 kg

Tesla seems to have it now at least with the model y anyway. And they also have it broken down by rim size as well which I’ve never seen before:

IMG_2627.jpeg

Maybe they heard you @kaelc ;)

Last edited:
Back