Driving an EV pickup

Nice win compared to an exhaust brake on a diesel. T3? When does the Terminator 4 come out hopefully it will be the 3/4 and 1 ton platform?
I don't see 3/4 or 1 ton EV equivalents coming out until the next generation of battery chemistry and ultra fast charging is sorted. The heavy duty series trucks are expected to tow or haul long distances, and the existing tech doesn't have the range even at heavy half format, ie, Lightning. In theory you could double the battery capacity, but where do you put it? Heavy duty trucks have a footprint that's only a little bigger than that of a half ton, not really enough area. Make it thicker? If you go down, you're sacrificing ground clearance. Go up, and you're heading toward rollover-prone.

Chevy are set to release their EV truck this coming summer and are claiming available range of 640 km, which would mean about 200 kWh of capacity. Sounds good, but the existing DCFC network mostly has charge speeds of 150 kW, so the benchmark 15-80% highway charge-and-go is gonna take at least 52 minutes - assuming nominal speed is sustained for the whole time. Will get better once access to Tesla V4 chargers becomes widespread, as they can hit 250 kW, bringing that time down to 31 minutes. Still, that's a lot of battery to pack around; it reduces bed payload, and the Silverado EV caps out at 10,000 lb tow capacity; ie, still a half ton, albeit with better range.

Lots of development work is being done on batteries with more capacity in the same space and weight. Energy density, expressed in Wh/kg is the key metric in labs around the world. My feeling is heavy duty pickups become viable when today's automotive energy density standards, about 300 Wh/kg, double to 600 or so - at the practical, production-ready level. There have been several proof of concept projects that have achieved values as high as 700 Wh/kg, so those now move to developmental work and cost engineering to see if they can be scaled for mass deployment at affordable price. And as years pass, you hope that distribution, speed and reliability of the public charging system improves to be able to exploit the coming gen 2 battery standard.

I have a truck camper, and it’s a part of our lifestyle. So I need my dually, to carry the weight and still tow something. Like you mentioned the weight of the battery would take away from payload. I’ve come across a YouTube channel for Edison motors. It’s a logging truck driver, from Merritt, that has developed a heavy spec truck that’s a hybrid. They have a diesel generator that run the electric motors. Like he mentions the rail industry and BC ferries uses this configuration, and have for quite some time. The Edison truck has batteries and a diesel generator. There’s some other YouTubers talking about retrofitting pickups with this technology too. It’ll be interesting to see what they come up with?

I found one annoying feature with my Lightning; you cannot permanently set the charging max limit to a certain percentage - say 90%. It's only a one-time setting that defaults back to 100% after each charge cycle. That sucks! I charged it several times already to full 100% due to this. I hope this doesn't shorten the battery life.

I found one annoying feature with my Lightning; you cannot permanently set the charging max limit to a certain percentage - say 90%. It's only a one-time setting that defaults back to 100% after each charge cycle. That sucks! I charged it several times already to full 100% due to this. I hope this doesn't shorten the battery life.
I have 90% set as the default max charge in the FordPass app and it works fine. There's an override button if you want to go to 100% like say the night before a longer trip. If that doesn't work for you, is it possible you're on an older version of the app?

I have a truck camper, and it’s a part of our lifestyle. So I need my dually, to carry the weight and still tow something. Like you mentioned the weight of the battery would take away from payload. I’ve come across a YouTube channel for Edison motors. It’s a logging truck driver, from Merritt, that has developed a heavy spec truck that’s a hybrid. They have a diesel generator that run the electric motors. Like he mentions the rail industry and BC ferries uses this configuration, and have for quite some time. The Edison truck has batteries and a diesel generator. There’s some other YouTubers talking about retrofitting pickups with this technology too. It’ll be interesting to see what they come up with?
This is the basic concept in most PHEV (plug-in hybrid) vehicles. Interesting to see it being developed for commercial use. The aim is to use the ICE and the EV drivetrains in their respective best settings: steady cruise rpm for the gas engine economy, while the electric drive is used at low or moderate road speeds where aerodynamic drag is less of an issue, and stop/start driving where torque is king and regen scavenges otherwise wasted energy. There's definitely people whose driving patterns suit PHEV better than full EV or ICE: average or high annual km driven, roughly split 50-50 between city and highway, with short or average commutes that can be made within the battery's electric range. I'd think that with the Edison platform that the driver can switch between electric and ICE drive as needed - save some battery capacity for when that electric low down torque is needed, or for energy-hungry climbs. And of course regen going downhill.

Dodge as usual are taking it over the top with their upcoming Ramcharger PHEV by making the battery massive, 92 kWh, but of course adding a V6. That "more is better" philosophy appeals to lots of people, but it means more weight, more complexity, more cost. Bet ya they'll land with a price tag north of $100K even for a basic trim level (if they even make such a thing). Halving the battery capacity would still give an electric range of 150-160 km, plenty for metro area commuting. It's not like you're stranded if the battery is depleted 10 km from home.

Forgot to mention one nice touch I noticed coming down from Apex: heat. In the Silverado, you're almost back to town before it develops any heat, because of the long descent (800 m drop in the first 11 km, another 600 m in the remaining 20 km to Penticton). The engine isn't doing any work so it takes ages to heat up. The alternative was to burn gas for 10-15 minutes before departure to make some cabin heat. But the Lightning cabin is warm in 3 minutes, same as always, going downhill, uphill or level.

I have 90% set as the default max charge in the FordPass app and it works fine. There's an override button if you want to go to 100% like say the night before a longer trip. If that doesn't work for you, is it possible you're on an older version of the app?
Yeah, I don't use an app; I only use the onboard functions. I hate the idea of needing a smartphone to operate all functions of my vehicle. Something wrong with that concept.

You do lose some functionality without the app, like preconditioning and notifications. But I get your POV, makes it feel like more a computer than a truck.

I can imagine that in the beginning you’d be quite a “distracted” driver keeping track of all the new tech going on.

Believe DeBoss Garage and Edison are going to collaborate on a pickup truck package to retrofit a ITC truck starting next year.

Saw my first CyberTruck today. We were heading through Stanley Park and it was heading south.

It is better looking than I imagined and very, very Jetson like.

Owners will not be able to keep a low profile, think owning a Lamborghini Countach in the early 1980’s

Last edited:
Saw my first CyberTruck today. We were heading through Stanley Park and it was heading south.

It is better looking than I imagined and very, very Jetson like.

Owners will not be able to keep a low profile, think owning a Lamborghini Countach in the early 1980’s
Yeah, but on the opposite end of the spectrum! Lambo = awe, Cyberduck = gag reflex

Yeah, but on the opposite end of the spectrum! Lambo = awe, Cyberduck = gag reflex
You will own one and you will like it! 😁

I’ve seen videos of one in black and Toyota green. They look better - not as loud looking. Black looks quite cool actually.

Its definitely a configuration setting. Take a look through the app. I set it up once over a year ago now and it knows my home charger and only goes to 90% every time.

Its definitely a configuration setting. Take a look through the app. I set it up once over a year ago now and it knows my home charger and only goes to 90% every time.
Mine appears to be smart enough to know to go 100% when on an L2 charger away from the home unit. Nice feature.

Now I think of it as being a way cooler version of this. If I owned one I would add a sticker of George and family to the rear bumper.

View attachment 101269
Most EVs have some sort of noise maker for low speeds so pedestrians are aware. It's usually pretty subtle, on Lightning It's just a gentle mechanical whooshing like pumps or fans, hard to tell if it actually is exactly that, because the battery temp management does that anyway in some conditions. In reverse, it's just a simple repeating chime.

If drivers were allowed to choose their own low speed sound though, I'd vote Jetsons every time. Definitive.

Back