Downrigger Trouble

Southswell

Having an issue with my Scotty downrigger and looking for some advice.

Basically, my downrigger gets stuck when retrieving back up. It almost feels as if the ball is stuck on the bottom, but it isn’t.

Any idea how I trouble shoot? Unit is out of warranty.

Having an issue with my Scotty downrigger and looking for some advice.

Basically, my downrigger gets stuck when retrieving back up. It almost feels as if the ball is stuck on the bottom, but it isn’t.

Any idea how I trouble shoot? Unit is out of warranty.
it’s not out of warranty. ever. it’s a scotty.

can you expand on “gets stuck”? so you turn the auto button to retrieve your ball andnit doesn’t do anything? or it’s just real slow?

it’s not out of warranty. ever. it’s a scotty.

can you expand on “gets stuck”? so you turn the auto button to retrieve your ball andnit doesn’t do anything? or it’s just real slow?
Well I’m not the original purchaser so won’t be covered. When I push the button or the auto switch to “on” the rigger slowly try’s to pull the ball up and then get stuck and stocks pulling. Then it will go up and down slightly. Sometimes it will pull another few feet before repeating, sometimes it just stops all together.

That was my first thought also, but I did have to replace a motor on one rigger.
It was worn out and wouldn't retrieve properly.
Scotty installed a new motor for free.

Well I’m not the original purchaser so won’t be covered. When I push the button or the auto switch to “on” the rigger slowly try’s to pull the ball up and then get stuck and stocks pulling. Then it will go up and down slightly. Sometimes it will pull another few feet before repeating, sometimes it just stops all together.
To me it sounds like bad brushes in the motor. Could be as simple as a breaker if that doesn’t work I would guess it’s the motor. Box it up send it off to Scotty, they’ll fix it.

Scotty had a batch of bad motors a while back. If I remember right, a piece of plastic melted and caused them to drag. When this happened to me they sent me a new motor, no questions asked as it was a known problem. It wasn't hard to replace.

Trust the wealth of experience on this site, Scotty will fix their downriggers for life, just mention that you are the original owner and all’s good. They stand behind their product and have done so for me, no complaints so far.

Last time I called, they didn’t even ask if I was the original owner. Just box it up and send to their service depot and they’ll take care of the rest.

Trust the wealth of experience on this site, Scotty will fix their downriggers for life, just mention that you are the original owner and all’s good. They stand behind their product and have done so for me, no complaints so far.
You do not have to be the original owner. Why do people keep spreading that stupid line. I took my 2 riggers in and told them that i was the 3rd or maybe 4th owner and they said it did not matter. Scotty fixes Scotty. Period.

You do not have to be the original owner. Why do people keep spreading that stupid line. I took my 2 riggers in and told them that i was the 3rd or maybe 4th owner and they said it did not matter. Scotty fixes Scotty. Period.
That’s what the Scotty warranty cards claim. but yes they fix anything

I’ve had a bad electrician connection make the same symptoms. Tightened and cleaned the ring terminals by the fuse block and worked great after that

I got Scotty 1106’s off old lodge I worked at... probably 10 years old at least with thousands of hours and they’ve never asked anything and have replaced parts free(shipping included). They’ll sort you out.

If pulling brake handle back when rigger is on results in it retrieving again then just loosen but half turn, could just be too tight.

Back