Downrigger location

screaminreels

I'm sure this has been covered but can't seem to find.so due to home reno finally getting to mounting riggers. The boat is a hydrosport 28 and 10 1/2 wide euro transom my thought is as far back as possible but this is based on my old boat a 22 ft Grady any thoughts and experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance

My boat, a former guide boat, was set up by the guide with the riggers rather far forward on the fishing deck. I really like the location as it provides easy access for working with the rigger which you do a lot. When the riggers are out on the back corners they are more difficult to work with and more likely to get in the way if they are still down while playing a fish. When we are playing a big salmon, we can bring the rigger up and swing it forward close to the hull so that it is completely out of the way to create a large netting area beside the boat and less likely that the fish will catch the cable on it, if for some reason the ball is still in the water a little. Having the rigger mounts forward also make it a lot easier to work with the big heavy commercial type crab traps we use when the pot puller is mounted to them.

It is a trade-off of in some respects as we have to watch our tight turns with motors way out the back on the pod, especially in strong current with lots a cable out and a lot of blow-back., but over all works great and for us preferable to have them on the back corners. We have mitigated that problem by having a prop guard on the kicker so that if I get a little too tight on a turn it does not get in the kicker prop. On the other side we always use steel cable because if we turn too tight on that side and the cable were to get over the non-running prop on the main outboard and hang on the leg, you can lift it off with the boat hook. We don't use braid on that side because unlike steel it will cut off if you get it anywhere near the non-running prop. We are also very careful with tight turns on that side if there is a lot of cable out and a lot of blow back. The guys are well-trained to watch the cable and tell me when I am starting to get a little tight and the cable getting closer to the main prop. when turning on that side in bad current, blow back situations.

Another advantage of the combination of having the riggers reasonably forward on the fishing deck and the transducer way out the back on the pod is that we can track the downrigger ball on the sounder down to deeper depth, which is really useful.

There is a huge Al sport fishing boat (looks bigger than your 28 footer and I don't want to even guess what it is worth) in my Marina with a huge fishing deck, and he has three riggers mounted on it. Unlike most who put the third rigger out the stern, he has two mounted in line on one side of the boat, I am really curious how he makes that work, but he must have it worked out.

Last edited:
If you turn off your main outboard and then put it in gear, it will stop the blade from rotating in the current. If you get a DR line on the prop it will lay there and not wind itself up with the rotating prop. Learned this the hard way out at Swiftsure.

I personally like them on the back corners for tight turning, that being said I can see having them right forward for access. What I don't understand is when guys put them in the middle so there in the way for netting fish. I do see guys netting out the back and I don't get that program either. It's all personal preference, unfortunately the decision all involves drilling holes in your boat

They need to be far enough forward on the gunnel so you can get behind the downrigger to work it. Personally I like 2-3 feet of working space Behind the rigger. Way easier to set lines and fix up the @@@@ups which will happen. Don’t forget added support under the gunnel with plywood and on top with aluminum if you have space. It helps spread the load.

They need to be far enough forward on the gunnel so you can get behind the downrigger to work it. Personally I like 2-3 feet of working space Behind the rigger. Way easier to set lines and fix up the @@@@ups which will happen. Don’t forget added support under the gunnel with plywood and on top with aluminum if you have space. It helps spread the load.

Ya mine are in the same spot, 3' up from the transom and it works great, particularly with the clown sized net I use haha

Remember you don't have to use the rod holders on the rigger boom arms. All depends on you boat's layout, but a nice setup can be riggers mounted aft for good clearance on turns, and gunwale mounted rod holders slightly forward for quick easy access when there's a strike. Obviously you don't push the riggers so far aft that it's hard to manage getting cannonball in the water or retrieving the clip after a popoff.

Balance it right and you'll have lots of clear space along the rails for dealing with a slab at the boat. Not a bad idea to walk around a marina or two and observe a variety of setups. Best of all if some of those skippers allow you aboard to check it out from the dance floor and answer your questions.

Back