Downrigger ball rubber snubber

trout-19

Whats the opinion on using or not using a downrigger ball rubber snubber . Advantages any disdvantages ?

Thanks

Small boat can get anchored to bottom in bad current if the brake isn't adjusted right. Can get dangerous. Skinny blue one will break before something else.

They are junk. They are meant to break after too little force in my opinion and results in lost balls when a gangion line system would save the ball. For example, the sure stopper system Scotty makes is far superior than that blue rubber snubber and you’ll lose way less balls. Haven’t lost a ball in 6 years running them. All that said, someone above made a good point… if your boat will capsize easy if hung up, then blue break away snubbers are for you. That must be why they are designed to break so easy.

Interesting that folks think they break easy. Might be a fluke one but some years ago we hooked something with the downrigger off Coulsons at Port Alberni. Could only retrieve a few feet at a time before the downrigger internal breaker would trip. After some time we got near the top where whatever was hooked came loose. The blue snubber had stretched to about 3’ long. Amazing. Maybe a one off……

Personally don't use them , just run braid and 6-8' of green 165 lbs gangion joined loop to loop which acts as the stopper bead ......
and run my release clips off the rear fin on the cannonball...
its all each to there own and try and see what works for you ......

I have never had blue snubber break or cost me a ball. Why someone would call them junk is beyond me. I have been using them for years, the same ones for years.
Maybe the Scotty brand ones are better. The local tackle shop around here was selling their own very similar version for a while and those would break easily. Kind of gave them all a bad name. The Scotty sure stop is a good product and they do make one a pro version with a rubber snubber. I’d imagine those are solid.

Ive used them and also not used them. No difference to me. I always use the tuna cord / gangnion with a swivel at the right length for the stop. Mind you, I've never snagged the bottom or had those sorts of issues, but I do bounce bottom a lot so I guess my day is coming? Got snubbers on for this year when I got new (to me) riggers and decided to go with all new rigger tackle. Seems like it's a personal preference thing.

The one real feature of the snubber that I notice is if/when I have rookies on the boat that I let operate the downrigger, the snubber has some bounce/cushion for when they try and use the green button to adjust the ball height when dealing with rehooking up to the clip (even though the ball stops and the correct height for anything you'd want to do, but some people try their own ways...) My rookies like to push the button lots and have the balls bouncing and swinging between fish and gear checks, but they bring gas money, beer and good times so what's a guy to do? lol

I have never had blue snubber break or cost me a ball. Why someone would call them junk is beyond me. I have been using them for years, the same ones for years.
In fact on one hangup, the snubber stretched to twice it's length and didn't break.
That one got retired.

I have also had the snubbers stretch to well over double the original length, and distorted the shape of the snap, but did not loose the ball. Pulling in the cannonball is much easier when holding onto the snubber.
Stosh

Scotty snubbers here too. The pair I have are about 8 years old and have lived outdoors their entire life as I don't bring the riggers in over winter. Material durability is far better than those POS black bungee cords sold by Canadian Tire. I use those to secure my transom saver and they barely last a single year before they crack and fail.

Scotty snubbers here too. The pair I have are about 8 years old and have lived outdoors their entire life as I don't bring the riggers in over winter. Material durability is far better than those POS black bungee cords sold by Canadian Tire. I use those to secure my transom saver and they barely last a single year before they crack and fail.
Scotty for the win. Do not accept the non Scotty knock offs is the moral I guess. That’s likely how I got burned before. But now just run the Scotty sure stopper system and it’s perfect. I still dispose of the first 15’ of braid each year and retie knotts to make sure. I honestly can’t believe how my Scotty downriggers haven’t missed a step in 10 years. They do build a truly solid product. And when you register them, they cover the parts, eg. Counters. So rare these days to have a stand up company like that.

In fact on one hangup, the snubber stretched to twice it's length and didn't break.
That one got retired.
I saw the same thing on someone else’s boat one time and was shocked by how much it stretched. What surprised me most is it didn’t shrink back and stayed stretched out

I had a hang up a few weeks ago, running blue snubber, and I damn near pulled the down rigger off my gunnel before I decided to cut the down rigger line. Snubbers are tough.

Back