Down rigger braided line

Fox

how often do you guys change your braided lines?

Thanks

if you are using power pro, is it 150# or 200# and does the strength change the replacement schedule?

Ive had 200# Scotty Powerbraid on mine for about 2 years now and it still looks good as new. I cut off about 5' or 10' every couple months just as a precautionary measure. There isnt much wear and tear on the actual line as long as you use some paracord or gangion as a snubber, and arent running over logs and **** in the water.

ive used 150lb Power Pro for 5 years - then I rewound the rigger spool end for end - I expect another 5yrs
only issue Ive experienced is frays IF the boom pulley stops spinning freely

What do you guys feel is the best braid for your downrigger? I'm looking for the braid with little-no drag. I've tried Scottys premium braid (it was a grey colour) and I wasn't the biggest fan.

Most of the fellas that I know run 400' of 200lb or some even 250lb PowerPro Downrigger line. Reverse it after a few years and you get a ton of life out of it. 400' allows you to trim some periodically without having to splice to add line down the road. I don't personally know anyone that runs 150lb test. I have a Canon Mag 10 STX so I use cable.

ive used 150lb Power Pro for 5 years - then I rewound the rigger spool end for end - I expect another 5yrs
only issue Ive experienced is frays IF the boom pulley stops spinning freely
I use 200# Power Pro and theoretically, that stuff will never rot. It will, however, break when it gets nicked enough as when the wheel on the downrigger pulley became stuck (due to lack of maintenance on my part) and the resultant grooves on the pulley wheel became an abrasive. I'd suggest 400' of 200# and check the boom pulley regularly for grooves and trim the end as needed.

Back