Double Eagle 176EX stern heavy

jlaffin

I'm looking at a 2006 Double Eagle 176ex, but I don't have any experience with these boats. It is sitting quite low in the stern with a F115 on the back. Do these boats have foam under the floor that can get waterlogged? Is there a hatch somewhere to get under the floor and check this out?

It has a Yamaha 115 with 680 hours and T8 kicker both in relatively good shape. The boat is in decent shape, needing a few fixes. Comes with EZ Loader trailer. They are asking $23,500. Is this a reasonable price?

Thanks for help!

Julian

Wouldn't worry about the foam stringers but make sure it has foam. Check the transom out hit it with a hammer should be solid and consistent. If it thuds or changes tune its wet. And the foam stringers could be wet. Water can get in from loose motorwell drains or a bad seal at the drain. The boat may have a composite transom im not sure boats around that time switched over to composite.

Pay the $300-500 to get it surveyed and or outboard checked at a shop. Usually the boat length determines the price range and that price is high but so are double eagles. Only the best looking ones I would pay the premium.

https://www.usednanaimo.com/classified-ad/Double-Eagle-176-EXL_34615016.lite?

I'm looking at a 2006 Double Eagle 176ex, but I don't have any experience with these boats. It is sitting quite low in the stern with a F115 on the back. ...
These boats typically sit a bit low at the stern. I wouldn't worry about that but would follow the good advice to get a survey and mechanical inspection.

Got my buddy to do a mechanical inspection today. What exactly is involved in a survey?

Thanks everyone.

Got my buddy to do a mechanical inspection today. What exactly is involved in a survey?

Thanks everyone.
Good surveyor will go true the boat from end to end, hull structure, electrical, plumbing and overall condition of the boat, they will document it put it on paper with an estimated value base on the condition, if you buy it then you use the survey for insurance purpose, no insurance without survey on older boats, even newer boat like 5 years old or so need survey for insurance. Good luck and get a survey, my personal advise

Thanks everyone.
The important component to the survey is the moisture meter readings through the hull, decks, superstructure, frames, stringers transom and bulkheads. Because balsa and plywood are often used as the base in these areas its important to determine the condition of the core. This will tell you if there are areas of lamination that could be loose, air voids from time of manufacturing and the amount of moisture retention in the core and/or fiberglass. Most boats have some moisture in certain areas and it needs to be determined if it is at normal or excessive levels for the age of the boat. All of the systems will be checked for proper operation, both shore and house electrical systems thoroughly inspected, fuel installations, pumps, valves, through-hulls, etc.

Your survey should also include electrolysis activity, osmosis, condition of any underwater gear and any modifications, previous repairs, their condition and an overall inspection of hardware and fasteners.

The report outlines the overall condition of the vessel and identifies areas needing repair or maintenance and areas of concern. The surveyor will also provide an opinion of value.

Mine sits low. The waterline is right level with the bottom of the engine well drain. When trolling in a following sea, waves can occasionally wash into the engine well. But it can't go far, and drains out again pretty quick.

I agree 115 is good but a 140 or 135 is better, a 75 is bare min.

I'd say the DE that Prodasaig linked to above with the 75 Merc 4 stroke is definitely underpowered. Funny, I could be wrong but I vaguely recall a 176DE with a 75 merc 4 stroke discussed recently, in the last year or so?

Same boat I believe rob and I agree when I first got the eagle I thought it rode low astern cause the water splashes into the transom well but never into the boat its there design

Just the weight of the 115 most likely causing it to be stern heavy. The original designs of the boat had 115 2 strokes. Big weight difference

Not that big of weight difference I don’t think. A few threads going on right now about double eagles, weight and power.
Replacing my 90 2 stroke with 115 4 stroke . Weight difference is 115lb.
If boat has gas tank and batteries in the back with kicker and 115 4 stroke it’s going to sit a bit low. I’m moving my 51lb battery to front to balance load.
If gas tank is not in the back and your sitting low there may be other issues.
Price sounds a bit steep. $20k I would think would be tops.

Not that big of weight difference I don’t think. A few threads going on right now about double eagles, weight and power.
Replacing my 90 2 stroke with 115 4 stroke . Weight difference is 115lb.
If boat has gas tank and batteries in the back with kicker and 115 4 stroke it’s going to sit a bit low. I’m moving my 51lb battery to front to balance load.
If gas tank is not in the back and your sitting low there may be other issues.
Price sounds a bit steep. $20k I would think would be tops.

Yes, this makes sense. Fuel tank is full and in the stern as well as batteries. As far as the price goes, I think it is pretty high as well. Motor has been checked out, it was quite salted up, but no glaring issues, runs well. There are a bunch of minor things that I would have to fix though. Needs new bottom paint, bilge float switch not working, fuel gauge not accurate, small rip in top, windshield wipers need work.

I think I may offer $18k, though I doubt he'll any lower than 20k seeing as the asking price is 23.5k.

Is there a way to see under the floor? I couldn't find a way in.

There is no way of accessing under the interior liner I cut a access hatch inside the fish locker in the floor but otherwise it's a pretty tightly sealed unit

Back