Double Eagle 17' 6" I/O Project Boat

Top heavy is what I was thinking about as well. I'm planning to build a top for my 176 pretty soon. Don't want to end up too top heavy for sure. Thinking 3/8 ply, glass and epoxy. Acrylic windows, maybe tempered glass.
Important to not make it too high so you don't get kited around by the wind too much as well.

Good point, but how much different would it be to a regular stand up top? I was trying to play that scenario out in my mind and can't see why it would be any different from a 6' height canvas top, like the one @Stizzla had made.
Only that it is more top heavy like you said, so when being pushed around in the wind you're going to rock more, good point.

Top heavy is what I was thinking about as well. I'm planning to build a top for my 176 pretty soon. Don't want to end up too top heavy for sure. Thinking 3/8 ply, glass and epoxy. Acrylic windows, maybe tempered glass.
@Bifmalibu
I looked at a few options on what material to build the hardtop with weighing the pros/cons of weight to materials ratio
I chose to to avoid any products that could rot over time
So I decided just to build hardtop with fiberglass and nidacore
As for glass vs plexiglass here is some weight info to think about
6mm Plexiglass 1.42 lbs per sqft.
3mm tempered glass 1.69 lbs sqft.
6mm laminated glass 3.27 lbs sqft.
As for cost of glass 6mm glass and plexi is close in price per sqft.
3mm tempered glass will end up costing more, as glass needs to be shipped to lower mainland to be tempered plus wait time
If you have or need windshield wipers, you will need glass for the front
Plexi scratches easier than glass too, something to consider

Plexi cracks and fades over time too. Get 4-6mm Lami glass. If it breaks, you can live with it for a while. Or 6mm tempered and it likely won’t break but when it does you’ll be missing a window.

Plexiglass is just a brand name, are you thinking of using acrylic or polycarbonate? poly is a good bit more durable but also more expensive.

Plexiglass is just a brand name, are you thinking of using acrylic or polycarbonate? poly is a good bit more durable but also more expensive.
@Brando
I talked to the plastics suppliers
Polycarbonate is stronger, yes, but it is not uv stable, so it won't last
They said acrylic is uv stable but not as strong and will last longer

@Brando
I talked to the plastics suppliers
Polycarbonate is stronger, yes, but it is not uv stable, so it won't last
They said acrylic is uv stable but not as strong and will last longer
I'm not an expert on the stuff but I do know lexan, a brand of polycarbonate, is practically shatter proof. To the point where you can clamp a piece in a vice and beat it with a hammer. Acrylic will shatter under moderate impact.

I've read your can get polycarbonate with UV protective coatings. No idea how they perform but it's claimed you get years of protection.

I'm not an expert on the stuff but I do know lexan, a brand of polycarbonate, is practically shatter proof. To the point where you can clamp a piece in a vice and beat it with a hammer. Acrylic will shatter under moderate impact.

I've read your can get polycarbonate with UV protective coatings. No idea how they perform but it's claimed you get years of protection.
That may be true when they are new but the plastics all break down after years in the sun and become brittle. If they didn’t, we’d all have frameless lexan guardrails instead of glass guardrails.

@Flashman
You are right, UV Polycarbonate does exist, and preforms as you said
Suppliers did mention it, and said it was used on Canadian Coastguard Boats
I purposely did not mention it due to the astronomical price of it
Way out of the budget of any normal person or at least my budget range

@Bifmalibu
I looked at a few options on what material to build the hardtop with weighing the pros/cons of weight to materials ratio
I chose to to avoid any products that could rot over time
So I decided just to build hardtop with fiberglass and nidacore
As for glass vs plexiglass here is some weight info to think about
6mm Plexiglass 1.42 lbs per sqft.
3mm tempered glass 1.69 lbs sqft.
6mm laminated glass 3.27 lbs sqft.
As for cost of glass 6mm glass and plexi is close in price per sqft.
3mm tempered glass will end up costing more, as glass needs to be shipped to lower mainland to be tempered plus wait time
If you have or need windshield wipers, you will need glass for the front
Plexi scratches easier than glass too, something to consider
Best bang for the buck would be the 6mm laminated.... pretty rock solid and a lot easier to replace locally if broken.
All plexiglass and lexan will discolor and scratch quite fast.

Haven't updated in awhile
But this is what the boat looks like first time out of the canopy since the top was put on
Plus I'm working on new console

Attachments

• IMG_2136.JPG
    IMG_2136.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2142.JPG
    IMG_2142.JPG
    554.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2141.JPG
    IMG_2141.JPG
    569.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2143.JPG