Don Cherry Fired

Trolling because I'm speaking out against hate and divisiveness? Wow.

Incredible isn’t it?

As set out in an earlier post, apparently those of us who oppose bigotry, hatred and intolerance are “*******”.

I think such invective says it far more about the authors than it does about those of us who are on the right side of history.

When you can’t win an argument, just resort to name calling. It’s funny how that resembles a tactic used by a certain American politician.

you think he was being hateful and divisive?

Those are pretty strong words.
100% yes. But do I think he's evil? No. He's just past his prime. He's of the old guard. My grandparents were racist as hell. Would I yell at them? No. But would I want them on National television teaching our kids what is right and wrong to say in this day and age? HELL NO. So yes I understand that he a loving man that had good intentions but the title of this thread is Don Cherry Fired. His firing is what we're discussing and I think it was completely justified. So to call me a troll because I'm defending those that couldn't defend themselves is pretty sad. Don had his chance to apologize and he chose not to.

you think he was being hateful and divisive?

Those are pretty strong words.
Wildman some people have never really liked Don to begin with and this is their chance to dance on his grave , guys like you and me make mistakes or miss speak and we understand that.

"“You people ... that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey,” Cherry said. “At least you could pay a couple of bucks for poppies or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life, that you enjoy in Canada.”"

Should I get fired?

"“You people ... that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our Crab and Rockfish,” Wildmanyeah said. “At least you could pay a couple of bucks for Fishing licence or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life, that you enjoy in Canada.”

Because it may be implied that i'm talking about asian people?

This is headed where we figured it would eventually get to....a political discussion and lining up on one side or the other of the polarized landscape that seems to be more prevalent than ever. We are not a political forum and the talk around this topic unfortunately has now been officially politicized, when really it is just another entertainer with a public platform, who has made lots of money for himself and the corporation he worked for, offering an opinion that the people who sign his checks couldn't live with. I have no issue with Don saying whatever he feels and have enjoyed much of the entertainment he offered over the years, however I see no reason to create a rallying cry around his firing. People make choices everyday about how they are going to live their lives. He made his and is now paying a price for it. I would not choose to point the finger at his employer either as they have no obligation to answer to me for their business decisions. I have freedom of choice in this country just like Don has, so I can choose whether or not I want to support their business or anyone else's for that matter.

My personal experience this past remembrance day included standing at the entrances to businesses with a box full of poppies and interacting with people coming and going. I coach a Bantam age hockey team in the Victoria area and we were fortunate enough to receive a $1000.00 donation from Scotiabank to help pay for tournaments etc. In lieu of receiving this money, the team made a decision to do something in the community to give back in appreciation of the generosity provided to us. Our choice of a way to give back was to sell poppies on behalf of the Legion at a few locations over one weekend. Greater Victoria, like most cities in Canada, is represented by many different nations when it comes to their ancestry. My experience that weekend made me feel good about being Canadian. I was impressed with how much the kids knew when I asked them why we wear the poppy at this time of year. They also were fairly well versed in what the Legion uses the money for that we were collecting that weekend. They were even able to educate a few people that asked questions about the program. I never felt like I had to ask what people's ethnic background was, or judge them for not buying a poppy, or for how much they chose to donate if they did. I and the kids were just thankful when people did donate, and I was happy that my Grandparents came to this country when they did, a country where we all have the right to make choices, within the laws of the land, of how we want to live.

My grandparents left behind a time of chaos and uncertainty in Ukraine when having the "wrong" opinion or lifestyle choice could land you in prison, dead, or both. Although my Grandfather only ever spoke in very broken and not easy to understand English, I always marvelled at how he would strike up a conversation with a total stranger in a coffee shop somewhere. Although I never had the chance to ask him directly, I imagine that what he witnessed in his homeland gave him a different perspective on life than I or most of my friends could relate to as second generation Canadians. All I know is, he showed a level of tolerance for all people, even one's he didn't always agree with, because he cherished the simple opportunity to share ideas and opinions without fear of retribution from someone in authority. Many times he helped people in his community, even when he and his family didn't have much of their own to share, without asking what their political leaning was or where they were from. I would like to believe that most people in this country still have that tolerance and level of care for their fellow man in them somewhere, and I take every opportunity I have when I am working with young people to show them the tolerance and respect that I learned from the generations that raised me in this way.

That is my personal take on the Don Cherry topic with a little perspective around the Remembrance Day experience I had this year. If we can share our opinions in a respectful way without generalizations, name calling, or categorizing people for their opinions, then this thread can remain open. If it veers off into a mess we will shut it down.

Brian

This is headed where we figured it would eventually get to....a political discussion and lining up on one side or the other of the polarized landscape that seems to be more prevalent than ever. We are not a political forum and the talk around this topic unfortunately has now been officially politicized, when really it is just another entertainer with a public platform, who has made lots of money for himself and the corporation he worked for, offering an opinion that the people who sign his checks couldn't live with. I have no issue with Don saying whatever he feels and have enjoyed much of the entertainment he offered over the years, however I see no reason to create a rallying cry around his firing. People make choices everyday about how they are going to live their lives. He made his and is now paying a price for it. I would not choose to point the finger at his employer either as they have no obligation to answer to me for their business decisions. I have freedom of choice in this country just like Don has, so I can choose whether or not I want to support their business or anyone else's for that matter.

My personal experience this past remembrance day included standing at the entrances to businesses with a box full of poppies and interacting with people coming and going. I coach a Bantam age hockey team in the Victoria area and we were fortunate enough to receive a $1000.00 donation from Scotiabank to help pay for tournaments etc. In lieu of receiving this money, the team made a decision to do something in the community to give back in appreciation of the generosity provided to us. Our choice of a way to give back was to sell poppies on behalf of the Legion at a few locations over one weekend. Greater Victoria, like most cities in Canada, is represented by many different nations when it comes to their ancestry. My experience that weekend made me feel good about being Canadian. I was impressed with how much the kids knew when I asked them why we wear the poppy at this time of year. They also were fairly well versed in what the Legion uses the money for that we were collecting that weekend. They were even able to educate a few people that asked questions about the program. I never felt like I had to ask what people's ethnic background was, or judge them for not buying a poppy, or for how much they chose to donate if they did. I and the kids were just thankful when people did donate, and I was happy that my Grandparents came to this country when they did, a country where we all have the right to make choices, within the laws of the land, of how we want to live.

My grandparents left behind a time of chaos and uncertainty in Ukraine when having the "wrong" opinion or lifestyle choice could land you in prison, dead, or both. Although my Grandfather only ever spoke in very broken and not easy to understand English, I always marvelled at how he would strike up a conversation with a total stranger in a coffee shop somewhere. Although I never had the chance to ask him directly, I imagine that what he witnessed in his homeland gave him a different perspective on life than I or most of my friends could relate to as second generation Canadians. All I know is, he showed a level of tolerance for all people, even one's he didn't always agree with, because he cherished the simple opportunity to share ideas and opinions without fear of retribution from someone in authority. Many times he helped people in his community, even when he and his family didn't have much of their own to share, without asking what their political leaning was or where they were from. I would like to believe that most people in this country still have that tolerance and level of care for their fellow man in them somewhere, and I take every opportunity I have when I am working with young people to show them the tolerance and respect that I learned from the generations that raised me in this way.

That is my personal take on the Don Cherry topic with a little perspective around the Remembrance Day experience I had this year. If we can share our opinions in a respectful way without generalizations, name calling, or categorizing people for their opinions, then this thread can remain open. If it veers off into a mess we will shut it down.

Brian
Great post Brian....thanks!

I would like very much to sit down and drink a beer and talk fishing and boats with most, if not all the people on this forum. I have spoken with a few of you already in passing at ramps, resorts, and shops, etc, over a few seasons and enjoyed most every encounter. Be forewarned however, if Don Cherry, DFO, Trudeau, Sheer, or pipelines, enter into the discussion I may just walk. Hey, it’s not like I’m not engaged in political discourse at times, I just need a break from time to time, and a “Sportsfishing Forum” seems to be the place to get it. Opinions are like assholes, everyone’s got one, I’m just not interested in yours.
Show me how to buck tail for coho, or use a Tomic plug effectively, now you have my attention. Sorry if I seem unduly harsh, I just read thru the Don Cherry post and I need to vent.
Seems like you need a beer right now!

It’s one thing when fishing related subjects get political and controversial which in turn results in the thread devolving into debates that are, or are perceived to be, so heated or nasty that the thread gets shut down or the threat to do so is made.

But why does the administrator even allow a thread like this to get off the ground? It has absolutely nothing to do with sport fishing and was guaranteed to be very controversial and end up exactly where one could predict. 100% predictable.

Perhaps stop entirely unrelated topics likes this one from even getting off the ground. Lots of other places exist to debate these kinds of issues.

It’s one thing when fishing related subjects get political and controversial which in turn results in the thread devolving into debates that are, or are perceived to be, so heated or nasty that the thread gets shut down or the threat to do so is made.

But why does the administrator even allow a thread like this to get off the ground? It has absolutely nothing to do with sport fishing and was guaranteed to be very controversial and end up exactly where one could predict. 100% predictable.

Perhaps stop entirely unrelated topics likes this one from even getting off the ground. Lots of other places exist to debate these kinds of issues.
because it is a FORUM of opinions

Back