Dodger or flasher

Steplift

What is your preference when pulling a hoochie a dodger or flasher. I’ve had better luck with a with a dodger and stiff 60# maxima mono leaders to help transfer the action.

That resounding silence might be that the majority of guys that fish hootchies fish them behind flashers and couldn’t conceive of using a dodger. You’re an outlier (not that that's a bad thing...)

That resounding silence might be that the majority of guys that fish hootchies fish them behind flashers and couldn’t conceive of using a dodger. You’re an outlier (not that that's a bad thing...)
I’ve never been afraid to try my own thing and find what works for me. I also have no issues taking advice from those with more experience or a different point of view on a particular subject. The dodger that produces big springs for me is a silver horde hammered Crome with a glow swamp thing hootchie. I’ll give a flasher another go next season and compare the results. After a few tacks I’ll switch my gear up until I find success on a particular combo trying my go to ones first.
Cheers

Attachments

• 8CEC73F3-2983-4C1B-AB80-FA48D3A71E14.jpeg
    8CEC73F3-2983-4C1B-AB80-FA48D3A71E14.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 71
I've been told the reason Dodgers are/were so popular in the Great Lakes Salmon fishery is exactly because they go side to side and at the top of each swing the fly-remember flies are big there-puffs up in the Salmon's face; again remember Salmon love to follow lures and a small change in action like an irritating POOF can cause them to strike.

Could there be something similar happening with OP's rig even though he's using a Hootchie?

Could be....

I can’t remember the last time I saw somebody using a dodger. I have a pile of them from days of yore. Should give one a whirl just for fun.

What is your preference when pulling a hoochie a dodger or flasher. I’ve had better luck with a with a dodger and stiff 60# maxima mono leaders to help transfer the action.
I have a similar Dodger, I'll be sure to keep it and use it.
What speed do you troll at?
Plastic flashers have ability to troll 1.5 to 3 plus mph. but dodgers only go slowly.
On the Great Lakes they refer to it as a dodger/fly rig, and apparently still popular.

I have a similar Dodger, I'll be sure to keep it and use it.
What speed do you troll at?
Plastic flashers have ability to troll 1.5 to 3 plus mph. but dodgers only go slowly.
On the Great Lakes they refer to it as a dodger/fly rig, and apparently still popular.
I troll them roughly the same speed as the flasher. When fishing is slow I’ll toss one out with a 5oz mooching weight between my riggers and under the prop wash 15-20 pulls. We seem pick a few up that way.

At one time in JDF, the Pal #3 and 4 dodgers were legendary and very effective and some still like them if you can find them in good shape or are willing to re- chrome them, but that was always for lures or bait with its own action. I doubt dodgers will ever out fish flashers for plastic on the west coast. They have both been around forever and you can bet lots of experimenting and side by side testing has already been done. The commercial fishermen who make a living hauling plastic use flashers and single hooks on a swivel. On the other hand, experimenting is part of the fun of fishing and there is always the chance you will find something the entire sport and commercial fishing industry missed over the past 70 years.

Last edited:
Back