2024 Gulf Island Reports

One More

Crew Member
We fished the south side of Porlier off Dionisio yesterday from 930-230. Lots of bait in the 190-240' range. No keepers but had a bunch in probably the mid 50's and a couple just unders. Purple flasher and small spoons were getting the most hits. Not much luck with hoochies or plugs. Decent haul of prawns to end the day at least. Sun and light winds made for a beauty day to end 2023.

Fished Porlier a few days ago and lots of action in our short time there. Ended up with 2 legal springs and shook off quite a few others that were just under. Fished a hoochie and skinny g just off bottom in 150-200ft and didn't have much time to relax between bites. Give it another month and a lot more of these actively feeding fish will legal size. best eating fish of the year too!

Anything more to report? I'm hoping to get the boat in the water in a couple weeks when I return from work and get some stuff done on the boat. Sounds like Mt Washington is closed so might as well go fishing. Will be out of Boat Harbour, probably try Thrasher or Porlier eventually but need to learn a bit as it will be my first time out there with electric downriggers in the new to me boat. Had a few decent bites on the West side of Decorcy in the summer, might even try straight down Stuart Channel starting by Round Island boundary to get a feel for everything.

Anything more to report? I'm hoping to get the boat in the water in a couple weeks when I return from work and get some stuff done on the boat. Sounds like Mt Washington is closed so might as well go fishing. Will be out of Boat Harbour, probably try Thrasher or Porlier eventually but need to learn a bit as it will be my first time out there with electric downriggers in the new to me boat. Had a few decent bites on the West side of Decorcy in the summer, might even try straight down Stuart Channel starting by Round Island boundary to get a feel for everything.
What’s the tack in behind De courcy like? I like trying out little inside spots for when thrasher and entrance are blown out.

What’s the tack in behind De courcy like? I like trying out little inside spots for when thrasher and entrance are blown out.
Honestly I had heard from a guy who's family has a waterfront cabin on the south west end that when he was a kid they used to just troll along that side and always pick something up. Probably 30+ years ago. I finally put a downrigger / prawn puller mount on our family shared Hurston with no kicker and first night we were at the cabin in August we went out just for an easy after dinner family fish. No sounder but followed about 100' contour along the island on navionics with the gear about 50-60' once we were out of the structure at the south end. In hindsight we were going to slow trolling on the main which I had been told would be too fast. (Learned that when a guide boat passed us at Thrasher the next day but we pulled in a coho beside them anyway.) About half way up we picked up a wicked bite, pealed line a few times and got away, one more bite not as good that got away. I hardly ever see boats out there trolling, maybe I never have, I don't recall any at least and we can see the water on that side from the road in front of our cabin. I've heard from another guy that had his boat in Boat Harbour years ago that they always used to just troll down towards Tent and do well (maybe he means Thetis?) but man, that's some cheap and easy fishing out of Boat Harbour especially when I'm 15 minutes drive to the marina and can probably have lines in the water in another 10 minutes. I just need to get home and finish up the work on the boat to get it moored!

Honestly I had heard from a guy who's family has a waterfront cabin on the south west end that when he was a kid they used to just troll along that side and always pick something up. Probably 30+ years ago. I finally put a downrigger / prawn puller mount on our family shared Hurston with no kicker and first night we were at the cabin in August we went out just for an easy after dinner family fish. No sounder but followed about 100' contour along the island on navionics with the gear about 50-60' once we were out of the structure at the south end. In hindsight we were going to slow trolling on the main which I had been told would be too fast. (Learned that when a guide boat passed us at Thrasher the next day but we pulled in a coho beside them anyway.) About half way up we picked up a wicked bite, pealed line a few times and got away, one more bite not as good that got away. I hardly ever see boats out there trolling, maybe I never have, I don't recall any at least and we can see the water on that side from the road in front of our cabin. I've heard from another guy that had his boat in Boat Harbour years ago that they always used to just troll down towards Tent and do well (maybe he means Thetis?) but man, that's some cheap and easy fishing out of Boat Harbour especially when I'm 15 minutes drive to the marina and can probably have lines in the water in another 10 minutes. I just need to get home and finish up the work on the boat to get it moored!
You could be hitting lings. There's an RCA down at the bottom end you'd want to be aware of as well.

You could be hitting lings. There's an RCA down at the bottom end you'd want to be aware of as well.
Maybe but at least one of them sure felt like a salmon. There is an RCA at Ruxton passage and a boundary from the North end of Decourcy to Boat Harbour too.

The grande down to entrance, inside gabe pass along the bluffs, west side of decourcy and harmac side of dodds can all be good for winters. Herring will start spawning in March and April. Jig up a bunch off decourcy for ling, crab and prawn bait

You can also troll from sharpe point to coffin and then over to big rock in saltair. Pretty solid in the winter

Not familiar with fishing down there, but there’s sharpe pt.

Attachments

• IMG_4276.jpeg
    IMG_4276.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 105
You can also troll from sharpe point to coffin and then over to big rock in saltair. Pretty solid in the winter
That would sure be an easy one launching our of Ladysmith. Just check your charts around Coffin Point if you're not familiar. First time I went out of Ladysmith the person in the boat with me told me to go inside because his buddy had and my spidey senses tingled and went round the outside, round the outside. I learned a few things that trip over to start building our cabin.

Appreciate the tips! I’ll be moored at Ladysmith (now the Oyster Bay Marina) once the boat is in the water. After getting both knees replaced in March of 2022 and 2023 I’m looking forward to getting out while chinooks are still open. I mostly fish Entrance, The Grande and Thrasher with the odd time at Porlier so burning a couple of hours less gas is pretty appealing.
When these spots were too rough, I have picked a couple of chinooks up on the East side of DeCourcy basically between the RCA boundary and the anchored freighters before the seasonal closures but the weeds were an issue there. Across the inside of Porlier Pass has produced a few for me as well.

Fished entrance, thrasher and porlier last weekend with surprisingly limited success. Typically quite good this time of year but grinded hard and couldn’t find a keep all day. Makes a guy re-think is entire ability to fish 😬. Oh well, brighter days ahead, including the 2024 galiano salmon classic derby on May 25th out of montague Harbour. See post in derbies section for details.

I plan to be out this coming Easter weekend for one last SOG fish before the closures come into place so hopefully my luck changes.

Fished south of Porlier last Sat.with a friend, arrived about 9:00. Picked up a 63 cm. hatch about 9:30, thought this looks OK, 4 1/2 hours later still sitting with the one fish and 3 shakers, works out to about $30 a pound but that's not the point . :rolleyes: Beautiful day...

Had a nice few days over in the islands. Went to Victoria Mon/Tue but the winds weren’t the best. Managed to get on the hook for 4-5 hrs each day but no Hali just a few dogfish. Bucket list item will have to wait. I’ve got the anchoring/scotchman/quick-release thing down pat now though. Really cool system.

Wed/Thu back around Mayne, winds on the outside kept me to Collinson and Active (near Georgina) had a few bite windows, a number of healthy 55-60cm to the boat but no keepers.

Finally Thu afternoon got out to Salamanca and landed a 63cm keeper. Friday mid-day managed another (64cm) before heading back to Van on a smooth crossing. Great time with family and in my paradise, even if the weather was meh.

IMG_4894.jpegIMG_4893.jpegIMG_4892.jpegIMG_4906.jpegIMG_4905.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4905.jpeg
    IMG_4905.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4906.jpeg
    IMG_4906.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4892.jpeg
    IMG_4892.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4893.jpeg
    IMG_4893.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4894.jpeg
    IMG_4894.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 16
Fished along Valdes near Gabriola passage Saturday afternoon for a couple hours but was unproductive. Lots of prawns in Pylades Channel, well half prawns, half shrimp but they were a good size, some were still packing eggs though. No eggs on any of the prawns we saw. Finally found a spot for Dungeness too. Not a bad Easter weekend at the cabin and was really good to get some hours in the boat.

Attachments

• PXL_20240330_184953614.jpg
    PXL_20240330_184953614.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 95
  • PXL_20240330_202255847.jpg
    PXL_20240330_202255847.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 95
  • PXL_20240401_024909484.jpg
    PXL_20240401_024909484.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 94
Back