Dock and Jetty fishing Comox

Saskman

Good morning I will be spending the summer working at the cadet training center and would love to do some fishing while there, ive never fished from the docks before what would be my best bet as to what to use, also could i get away with light action tackle?

You can hook fish that way but how would you haul them in?

One thing to do with a light tackle outfit is to use a heavier leader and/or use a double line-cut off however many feet of line equal to the length of your rod and using a uni ti uni knot retie the single line to the line you have doubled and tie a snap swivel onto that makes it much more abrasion resistant.

I don't know the pier you mean but there is a fishing pier up the road in Campbell River with tackle for rent and if you don't have car hitchhiking with a fishing rod is an easy to way to get a ride.

Almost every beach in the area will have Coho and some Pink Salmon cruising just offshore all summer-low tide is usually best and small spinners can be deadly.

You can fish along the shore between the Powell River Ferry dock heading towards King Coho resort. You will need waders and life jacket and you probably will take a bootfull from the waves of passing boats.. Fish flood tide in late afternoon, small buzzbombs, single barbless hooks and be prepared to lose gear to the bottom. Twenty pound braided line with a 2ft leader of 15lb mono.

Coho fishing along many shorelines with Jensen Crocs or Gibbs Croc or Koho are great spoons, small buzz bombs work. Campbell River pier is a great option usually after Aug 1, not much around before then off the pier. After Aug 1, lots of big springs around, typical fish there are 18-25 lbs with several tyees hit every summer, around september long weekend it’s usually terrific, coho fishing picks up. Salmon point is also terrific coho fishing off the beach (waders) in early september lots of great fish and u can have a bite to eat in the restaurant right at Salmon Pt Resort

King Coho doesn’t exist. The place you’re looking for here is at the end of Singing Sands Road right by the Little River ferry terminal.

There’s a parking area there. Water is deep, there’s a steep drop off.

You can also rent boats from Bates Beach Resort, $30/hr for a 14’ aluminum with a 15 hp.

Oh and to the OP - the goose spit navy docks are actually in area 14-14 - which IIRC, is closed to fishing - i think the regs used to allow beach fishing, but not sure if the dock technically counts - something to check though

Back