Do you people use sabikis to catch herring?

I was looking at rigs on eBay so I wasn't sure what sizes would work here. Would Size 8 hooks be too big?

Sorry I don't know the hook sizes very well in those small sizes. The ones I use are pretty tiny. Herrings have little mouths. They seem to nibble on the fly like part so a very small hook would snag them easier.

Sorry I don't know the hook sizes very well in those small sizes. The ones I use are pretty tiny. Herrings have little mouths. They seem to nibble on the fly like part so a very small hook would snag them easier.

I went and peaked at Home Hardware at lunch, they were selling sabikis rigs that were in 8 or 10 sizes. I found an Ebay seller selling a combo pack of 10 rigs in size 8, 5 different patterns and 2 of each. That should let me figure out which the local herring like most.

I think im going to show my age here ... when i was a kid we had jigs made by Whiskers lil yellow flies with a strip of red thread , they were fanfukingtastic ...

I remember many many days standing on the Gorge bridge jigging up herring for my dad. It was awesome. And the REAL fishermen had the jogs labelled "hand tied by Whiskers...". They were awesome. I never met this legendary Whiskers, but he probably went insane tying those jigs.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Back