Do you people use sabikis to catch herring?

Wondered if I should bring my sabiki pole.

At my moorage we are lucky to have herring right at the dock for a good part of the season. Early any morning there will be several of us using sabikis to catch fresh bait. I usually keep a dozen or so on my boat and give them to little kids who may be staying at the resort. Cup of coffee at dawn and jigging herring. Priceless.

Yes, I certainly do. There is no longer any live bait sellers, and frozen bait is dear. If you don'want to bring your rod you can get by with just a trout rod, but bring a few extra setups.

Just another Rod in the boat. I do like the sabiki rod as they do not get tangled in storage. Just nicely stored in Rod.
For those who do not know what a sabiki Rod is, just google. Even some vids on build your own from pvc.

What size hooks do you use for your sabiki herring rigs, and what colors (bead / wings) do you find most effective? Feel free to post pictures ;)

I think im going to show my age here ... when i was a kid we had jigs made by Whiskers lil yellow flies with a strip of red thread , they were fanfukingtastic ...

What size hooks do you use for your sabiki herring rigs, and what colors (bead / wings) do you find most effective? Feel free to post pictures ;)

You can buy them premade in a package. Would be a pain to make them by hand. You would have to search and see who carrys them around here. My fishing buddy brought 100 of them back from Vegas of all places a while back. They were like 2 bucks each. You could use very small flys with a little red or green ball if you want to make your own.

You can buy them premade in a package. Would be a pain to make them by hand. You would have to search and see who carrys them around here. My fishing buddy brought 100 of them back from Vegas of all places a while back. They were like 2 bucks each. You could use very small flys with a little red or green ball if you want to make your own.

I was looking at rigs on eBay so I wasn't sure what sizes would work here. Would Size 8 hooks be too big?

They are fun to use, sometimes 5 herring on at once, and every once in a while a salmon (usually a cohoe) will take one of the first herring on the rig, and get hooked up on a couple of empty hooks. Now that is fun, although the rig is usually toast after.

is there a max depth you can jig them at. I was out on the weekend and all the bait was down at about 80' ??

If fishing shallow water just attach an old chrome spoon to the end of the rig, it acts like a weight but also causes a lot of flash and attracts the herring in. If fishing really deep water then just attach the necessary lead to the bottom of the rig and you're good to go. You want it hanging it straight and tight so the each little lure can stick out.

When you get one bite leave it down until it loads up with herring. The first one struggling on the line will attract others to come take a look, hence why I prefer to use a big spoon as weight instead of lead.

But really there's nothing to it, put it down where the bait is and they will bite it.

Back