Do Scotty downriggers ever go on sale?

Corey_lax

Crew Member
Hi Guys,

I've been lurking here for a few months but just signed up. I bought a new to me boat back in October and have been out a dozen times or so. We go crabbing in Indian Arm and fish the Cap mostly. We need to try some new areas as we aren't having any luck with the salmon right now.... The boat is an 80s 18' Starcraft with 115 HP Johnson. That's my introduction for now! Thanks for all the help with the threads I've been reading through.

My questions is, do Scotty downriggers ever go on sale? I have two old blue Scotty's and a newer manual one right now. I've been checking Craigslist daily trying to find a good deal on some electric DR's but haven't had much luck. I'd like to get some electrics but I'm not in a huge rush yet. I want to find a good deal for sure. Who has the best value? And do they ever go on sale anywhere? Or should I just keep watching craigslist for some to pop up? I know of guys who have scored two scotty's in mint condition, 60" boom for $350. I'd like to be into it for around that...

Thanks for you help!

I you find a pair for 350 you need to immediately go out and buy a lotto ticket.
I think theres a pair in the classifieds F/S
Rarely do they go on much of a sale simply because they are carried by so many retailers the price is generally rock bottom, tough to keep margins when you have to compete with everyone.
At one time a store owner told me he made more on the #10 cannon ball than the downrigger sale?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look in the buy sell thread on this forum, look for the cleaning out garage thread,there are 2 scotty electrics there for $650. That is a very good deal.

Yup.....used ones on sale here a fair bit. Also it seems that the guys on here from the Island seem to post up more of them that are just found on sites like UsedVictoria, UsedNanaimo and Craiglist from that side of the strait.

New ones on sale may be tough to find too often. Maybe Berrys Bait Fathers Day sale if you are looking for lower Mainland?

Best price I've found is $469 for 1106's with the swivel base. Steveston Marine, Berrys and Harbour Chandler have them at that price. Gone Fishin' in Courtenay matched the HC price for me last week.

I you find a pair for 350 you need to immediately go out and buy a lotto ticket.
I think theres a pair in the classifieds F/S
Rarely do they go on much of a sale simply because they are carried by so many retailers the price is generally rock bottom, tough to keep margins when you have to compete with everyone.
At one time a store owner told me he made more on the #10 cannon ball than the downrigger sale?

Sounds like my buddy got the deal of a lifetime haha. The guy must have been really tight for cash!

Best price I've found is $469 for 1106's with the swivel base. Steveston Marine, Berrys and Harbour Chandler have them at that price. Gone Fishin' in Courtenay matched the HC price for me last week.
Thanks for that. Berry's isn't far from my work so I'll have to look into that. And wait for my wallet to get a little fatter. Good thing tax return season is just around the corner!

Love to see pictures of your 18 starcraft. We have a 1960's 16 footer that caught 50 salmon last summer, in part to some used scotty electric downrigger and some luck. $300 each is the best price you will likely find for them used with a swivel base. Be prepared to pay $350 with braid and swivel mounts. Remember if you find a hot deal, someone else is likely not going fishing. My brother had one stolen off his boat while they grabbed a coffee at Timmy's.

Here's the only pictures of it I have on my phone. I need to get a new canvas made for it as the old one is falling apart. I'd like to make it higher so you don't have to duck as much. My other projects include rewiring the entire boat, installing a battery switch (already have two batteries), two new scotty's, new switch panel in the dash, building an aluminum rack to hold at least two crab traps to get them out of the way. I also have a problem with my charging system. I went out one day and it killed both batteries very quickly. I fixed the bow light wiring (wired backwards) and redid the terminal connections at the battery. Now when I went out on Valentines Day, it was charging at 16 volts which my VHF didn't like (beeping and showing a warning of excessive voltage). So I'm not sure where to start there but will need to do some research.

Know anyone in Kelowna? I'm a cheap ******* and shopped around for a long time before buying a pair. Best deal I could find was $399 apiece new. Had to buy a pair to get that price. Got em' at Surplus Herbys in Vernon just north of Kelowna. There's a Surplus Herbys in Kamloops too. I wasn't convinced if they would be all everyone says they are. But let me tell ya, pretty nice to have. Ask around at a few sporting good stores and you might be able to find a set of the older electrics at a discount. Good luck don't give up, you'll find some.

Nice and clean, I automatically thought it would be Aluminum, it is the first 18 fiberglass starcraft I have seen. Looks really good.

For the switch I just replaced mine with a blue sea https://www.bluesea.com/products/9001e/e-Series_Selector_Battery_Switch

$399 with swivels is an amazing deal for a marine product with a lifetime warranty. Scotty DR's are worth every penny.

Yeah I know that's what everyone tells me when I say I have a Starcraft haha. Everyone assumes aluminum. Shes clean though. The hulls in great shape. Came with the electronics. The compression of the 115HP was spot on. 300 hrs on the boat according to the meter and my buddy (it's been in his family forever)

A few years back I found a sweet deal in a small town in Washington. Can't remember the place off the top of my head. Was 30% cheaper than anywhere in canada and u didn't have to pay tax with a canadian ID. They also did mail order but I happen to be driving to Mexico to pick up a boat so I just picked them up. Might not be a good deal with the exchange right now but something to look into if the dollar comes back before you buy.

Might not be a good deal with the exchange right now but something to look into if the dollar comes back before you buy

buying in the U.S at $.80 is a definite disadvantage.
a few years back when we were at par there were some good deals
not so much anymore.

if you do decide to buy new ones you should be able to get a really good price at tradex in abbotsford in early march.

Yeah, I see that they are only $10 more than Berry's for the 1106 model. Not bad, and I used to know Pierre's son about 20 years ago! I'm not even sure if he still owns PoCo Marine though. I might have to stop in there.

Corey, if you're going to put in a battery switch, get a Mini Add A Battery kit from Blue Seas. It has an automatic charging relay, does the same as a battery switch but automates it for you. Prevents any loads being drawn from the starting battery when engines are off, directs charge current to both batteries when you're running. The kit costs under $150 plus maybe a few bucks if you have to extend or reterminate battery or engine cables. Lots of members of this board, including myself, use this setup. It works.

Back