Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

So my truck arrived at the dealership last week, less than a day after I left town. Interesting conversation to be had about price when I get back from vacation in a week...

So my truck arrived at the dealership last week, less than a day after I left town. Interesting conversation to be had about price when I get back from vacation in a week...
You should call the customer line at the headquarter and confirm with them. Dealership is pretty useless when it comes to company rebates or discounts.

I'll definitely try that. If I can get it below 70K then the federal and BC rebates kick in, 6K in all.

The changes in the demand and supply curve are interesting.

Cam Clark Ford has, as of this morning, 19 unsold units

1690125549669.png

I had a $100.00 deposit on a Cadillac Lyriq for well over 18 months and cancelled it yesterday. The Dealer told me I might see a car in 2 years based on where I am on their order list ( number 278). The car price is up $20k to get the same features that were touted to me as standard.

Recently I bought a new conventional vehicle, (my first new vehicle purchase since 1987) the last of a manufacturer's normally aspirated V-6 regular gas burning mid-size SUV. I have just over 8K on my new vehicle and it has averaged 8.2 litres per 100Km since new.

Of course some folks have figured out how to game the system on the subsidies, One half of a couple makes 250K , the other makes 50. the lower income partner buys the new Tesla

Three huge wins and a small loss for me today in the Lightning saga.

Win 1: I called Ford Customer Care and was speaking to an actual person inside 60 seconds! I asked about the recent price reduction, and they read me an internal bulletin stating that it did apply to trucks in transit and delivered but not sold.

Win 2: called my sales lady who was excited to confirm that MSRP on my truck has dropped by $10K to $69K. She was planning to spring it as a surprise when I picked it up tomorrow. I wasn't at all sure that this dealer would play ball on this one unprompted.

Win 3: search of provincial and federal EV rebate websites confirms that my model has been added to their eligible vehicles lists, as it is now below the $70K ceiling. Another $9000 in savings once approved.

Loss: the provincial rebate of $4000 has to be applied for prior to purchase to confirm identity, income bracket and no previous EV rebates granted. So I have to wait 4-5 more days before drive away day. After 26 months, what's another week for a $4000 saving?

Talk about being rewarded for patience, plus some pure luck. If I hadn't been on holidays when it arrived, I would have raced down there and done the deal for $20,000 more than I'm paying this week.

Three huge wins and a small loss for me today in the Lightning saga.

Win 1: I called Ford Customer Care and was speaking to an actual person inside 60 seconds! I asked about the recent price reduction, and they read me an internal bulletin stating that it did apply to trucks in transit and delivered but not sold.

Win 2: called my sales lady who was excited to confirm that MSRP on my truck has dropped by $10K to $69K. She was planning to spring it as a surprise when I picked it up tomorrow. I wasn't at all sure that this dealer would play ball on this one unprompted.

Win 3: search of provincial and federal EV rebate websites confirms that my model has been added to their eligible vehicles lists, as it is now below the $70K ceiling. Another $9000 in savings once approved.

Loss: the provincial rebate of $4000 has to be applied for prior to purchase to confirm identity, income bracket and no previous EV rebates granted. So I have to wait 4-5 more days before drive away day. After 26 months, what's another week for a $4000 saving?

Talk about being rewarded for patience, plus some pure luck. If I hadn't been on holidays when it arrived, I would have raced down there and done the deal for $20,000 more than I'm paying this week.
As a fellow tax payer, I almost feel proud to be partners in your EV purchase.

Speaking of the Lyriq....what a beautiful vehicle! Well done in my eyes.

But, like many vehicles, they are a long wait, 3+ years...... but then again, they are having issues right now. three of the first four delivered have been towed back in......:oops:

But, like many vehicles, they are a long wait, 3+ years...... but then again, they are having issues right now. three of the first four delivered have been towed back in......:oops:
Ouch

Apparently, EV inventories in the States are growing at a huge pace and we could see more price reductions in the coming months.

While still on the Lightning waitlist, I've set my eyes on the new Hybrdi Tacoma. Can't convince myself on a fully electric truck, mainly b/c of our poor infrastructure and range anxiety.

im all for new technology but less convenience for double the price ? i still dont see why anyone buys these things.
i like my 3 minute recharge time with my "portable battery" aka plastic fuel tank for extending range, my 700km per "charge" and multitide of recharging stations around. and the fact that a minor fender bender is unlikely to scrap the vehicle or result in a $40,000 repair bill. i also like the fact that the vehicle costs me half that of an EV at purchase time and is easy to fix anywhere. a rivian costs as much as a gas car to fill up so no savings there thanks to parasitic idle draw. and the new trend is digital range inflation - https://www.livemint.com/companies/...g-range-complaints-report-11690480099526.html

Last edited:

Not surprising on the Lyriq forum last fall it was reported that cars were being hand built on the production line.. It looked like a really nice car, but....I grew up in Oshawa and a lot of my buddies who have retired from GM were asking me "what was I thinking."

In an email statement, spokesperson Douâa Jazouli wrote: "We have been working diligently on a compatible replacement battery for the 30kW-h Lithium Ion Battery included in the model year 2017 LEAF, which is no longer in production, and are approaching a sustainable fix for the Canadian market."

need right to repair in canada

""There weren't a lot of them made, and at this stage of the game, that's a technology from 2017 that Nissan and its partners have really moved on from.""

is 6 years old to old lol?

need right to repair in canada

""There weren't a lot of them made, and at this stage of the game, that's a technology from 2017 that Nissan and its partners have really moved on from.""

is 6 years old to old lol?
Right to repair laws would certainly decrease waste and consumption, but it’s not profitable for the companies that lobby against it.

Back