Disc Brakes for 3500lb trailer

gungadin

Not having or actually requiring brakes on my trailer, I have non the less decided to to install a set of disc brakes. The main reason is I want to get away from the trailer push I experience on long gradients. Last year I put on a new axle with the flange required for brakes. I am using 13 inch wheels and tyres with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. After reading a few websites, I see there are several brands available, and at different pricing. Tie down and Titan, seem to be the most common. Any recomendations would be appreciated. Because I have not had drum brakes on it , I will need a kit the will fit without any interference with the wheels. The kits I have looked at are for 10 and 12 inch drum replacement kits, I suspect I need the kit for 10 inch, but I need confirmation on that. I will use a surge brake assembly, as sometimes my friend tows the boat. Any help as to the correct kit would be appreciated. I have found two that I hope are correct two are Tiedown with a 9.6 inch disc or a 10 inch disc, and the others are Titan. I am also installing a water flush system, similar to what I used on off road logging trucks, but with a hose connection rather than a tank. Any other insite would be appreciated.

Gungadin

I'm with bigbruce and would recommend the kodiak disc system. I am in the process of getting rid of my electric brakes on my tandem axel trailer and going with the kodiak disc system. I have spent the winter on several different forums doing research and by far have kodiak recommended over any other system

http://www.etrailer.com/question-19151.html Good info here for sure. OK, I see that Kodiac is the cadillac of trailer brakes, however, they seem cost prohibitive to me. I can put on an entire kit fo 200$ less then the cost of two of ther rotor/caliper assemblies. I understand the advantages of an all stainless assembly, but as pointed out, flushing and cleaning is a breeze as everything is in the open. My boat and trailer C/W all gear weighs in at less then 2100 lbs so F1 characteristics are not required. If anyone is using the tie down system, I would appreciate their opinion as well.

Past 4 years now on my Kodiaks and they have been flawless so far.
Just a note... my marine mechanics said the flush kits are a waste of time.
However, I do have a lake with a launch close by... and I do back my trailer into the lake after each salt trip to flush the motors....
Visually, the Kodiaks still look in virtually "new" conditition.

Etrailer seems like great prices but the shipping cost would make it cost prohibitive to Canada.
Anyone tried trailerpartsdepot.com, their costs to Canada seem much better.
Or anyone have any good online places for trailer brake parts in Canada?

I went with the tie down system, with the boat off took about 6hrs (including tea breaks). Everthing just bolted up. The brake lines were way too long, but because they can't be shortened, I ran them past the axle and then doubled back. I covered the rubber cable with wire loom where I felt it might rub with axle movement. It has been a great improvement. I notice it most when braking on long hills, it actually holds you back. The only extra thing I had to do was wire in my backup lights to the reverse solenoid. Very worthwhile IMO.

Getting the Vortex Disk system from tie down, this Thursday Myself. Tandem trailer. Pricy as all Get out but they sure look good. 6 year maintenance-free warranty ( so they say) on the system. Sealed bearings. No more bearing buddies. No flush kit required. Just pull the pins twice a year and add never-cease.

We will see.

Kodiaks are apparently very good, but are more expensive. The tip I heard was to get their stainless callipers, which are expected last the life of a trailer, but save money by using the coated rotors, which, as a wear item, will eventually need replacing anyways.

Just my 2c for others who are researching...realizing the OP already made his purchase.

Back