Diesel truck tuning - worth it?

My LBZ will never see 24 mpg I dont think. Unless I want to sink a ton of money.

My 06 Cummins would get 25 mpg on the highway. Bone stock. However the truck was a total POS and after a long ride my back hurt. Was so stiff you could put me on a dolly and wheel my butt to the house after. Brutal. What pos trucks. Nice engine though.
I finally have some some numbers for fuel consumption - average fuel economy 17.4 MPG - best tank 17.8 MPG, based on 3 fill ups so far.

17.8 MPG was all highway.

2006 stock LBZ Duramax

I finally have some some numbers for fuel consumption - average fuel economy 17.4 MPG - best tank 17.8 MPG, based on 3 fill ups so far.

17.8 MPG was all highway.

2006 stock LBZ Duramax
That’s consistent with the rest that I’ve seen. I get around the same empty but much worse towing. That’s with 4” lift and 35”s. A simple egr delete and shift on the fly tune cost me $500, I’ve saved that in fuel for sure the last 150,000. Iirc I gained almost 100km/tank after the upgrade, which is huge over time. Pass everything but the gas station if you want though HA

All these miracle increases in power and economy come at the cost of increased emissions. If the auto makers could produce all three, they would. VW famously claimed they could, but it proved to be fakery. Remember the old axiom about things that appear to be too good to be true?

All these miracle increases in power and economy come at the cost of increased emissions. If the auto makers could produce all three, they would. VW famously claimed they could, but it proved to be fakery. Remember the old axiom about things that appear to be too good to be true?
True but I don’t understand how worse fuel economy and burning def fluid is better for the environment?

https://canadiandieselonline.ca/sho...lmm-bully-dog-dpf-delete-tuner-bul-lmm-40428/ https://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/British-Columbia/Langley/A-Pro-Automotive/7067083.html
and i have never look back 4 setting on the fly normal, tow, performance and extreme fuel mileage is unreal towing my boat up island exhaust was change and no more need to take truck for a burn carbon out of the screen know at least 7 people that got it done here and they never look back
I personally recommended it 100 % my opinion

I agree, increasing fuel burn and burning def fluid in order to save the environment seems like one step forward and two steps backwards.

Do any of you have a lift pump installed on your truck? I mentioned to the mechanic I've been talking to that I was contemplating deleting and tuning purely for reliability and fuel economy - I have no interest in added power. He said that for reliability, a lift pump would be higher on his list than anything else.

I think the fuel system on the LBZ is pretty rock solid. I dont see the need for a lift pump. I'm no expert though

Just for ***** and grins.. heres what I got going..

07 LBZ
Exhaust upgrade
Edge tuner
Been running Lucas full syn 15 40
Stock air box
3 inch front lift
Rear air bags
Rolling 35inch nitto ridge grapplers

Level 2 mode

Truck does 19 to 20 mpg on the highway all day

13.5 to 16 in town depending on how heavy my foot is.

If I turn it to level 4 the truck will break the tires loose at 80k lol.

I agree, increasing fuel burn and burning def fluid in order to save the environment seems like one step forward and two steps backwards.

Do any of you have a lift pump installed on your truck? I mentioned to the mechanic I've been talking to that I was contemplating deleting and tuning purely for reliability and fuel economy - I have no interest in added power. He said that for reliability, a lift pump would be higher on his list than anything else.
the reason for the lift pump is to help the CP3 injection pump since they are vac pump and get weak over time from guys not running proper additives or running low on diesel and contamination. The lift pump just basically helps the injection pump from trying to suck too hard to draw fuel. Never a bad idea imo but if you maintain your truck fuel system you shouldnt need one.

Great information here, thanks guys!

as for maintenances, do you follow the oil life / fuel filter life monitor?

Reinvigorating an old thread here.. I just purchased a 2011 dodge 3500 from the Ford dealer in Campbell river. It only has 100,000k but I just found out much of the front end needs replacing (apparently this is common?) so while they have it apart, I’ve asked the mechanic to add a bulldog tune, delete egr, new intake and ss exhaust. Apparently the emissions on 2010 -2012 6.7 Cummings burnt a lot of fuel so my mpg should increase.. anyone done something similar to their dodge 6.7 that resulted in better fuel economy?

Attachments

• DE1CA633-E6D9-45C1-B7BB-241AAEE988DF.jpeg
    DE1CA633-E6D9-45C1-B7BB-241AAEE988DF.jpeg
    620 KB · Views: 18
Reinvigorating an old thread here.. I just purchased a 2011 dodge 3500 from the Ford dealer in Campbell river. It only has 100,000k but I just found out much of the front end needs replacing (apparently this is common?) so while they have it apart, I’ve asked the mechanic to add a bulldog tune, delete egr, new intake and ss exhaust. Apparently the emissions on 2010 -2012 6.7 Cummings burnt a lot of fuel so my mpg should increase.. anyone done something similar to their dodge 6.7 that resulted in better fuel economy?
Yes, I have a 2012 3500 and I went from averaging 18 L/100K to 13L/100K after deleting. That's with a Bullydog GTR tuner, S&B intake, delete kit, and 4" MBRP exhaust.

You should change your fuel filters and CCV filter so that you are starting fresh. And transmission oil and filter. Transmissions are another known problem with basically every Ram.

Dodge's are known for front end issues but 100,000KM is pretty early. But rubber does wear out over time whether or not you use it a lot or not. I'm at 370,000KM now and did basically everything in the front end a year ago or so.

I get better mileage than my dads 2012 F150. I get better mileage than a brand new diesel with DEF and emissions stuff.

Yes, I have a 2012 3500 and I went from averaging 18 L/100K to 13L/100K after deleting. That's with a Bullydog GTR tuner, S&B intake, delete kit, and 4" MBRP exhaust.

You should change your fuel filters and CCV filter so that you are starting fresh. And transmission oil and filter. Transmissions are another known problem with basically every Ram.

Dodge's are known for front end issues but 100,000KM is pretty early. But rubber does wear out over time whether or not you use it a lot or not. I'm at 370,000KM now and did basically everything in the front end a year ago or so.

I get better mileage than my dads 2012 F150. I get better mileage than a brand new diesel with DEF and emissions stuff.
Sweet! Thanks for the info Corey.. I am getting them to change all the fluids and filters as well. I agree my transmission leaves something to be desired but understand I can”tune” the tranny as well as the engine

I have done two 2012 dodges with tunes as we were driving 400 to 600 km a day. If you run a performance tune my recommendation is to do the head studs and turbo upgrade as well, as the exhaust port is so small in the factory ones you build up pressure and blow the head gasket. Two dodges same dam thing.. I’m sure other guys have luck!!!!!! but I sure didn’t. Front ends are very common on these diesels. Again both my trucks front ends issues. If I could do it over I would have liked to find a great used 5.9 Cummins

Back