Diesel truck tuning - worth it?

Having same thoughts of op 07 classic 4x4
13 mpg that’s that’s towing or empty. I hope you post the results of your findings

Id be interested to know your balance rates and cfr (calc fuel rate)
Dunno, I’ve just always filled er up and she gets me there every time. I have noticed she really doesn’t like starting cold these days, block heater is a must in the nagatives. Doesn’t push blue or burn oil, doesn’t roll coal unless I tune it above tow/eco and punch it.
Your numbers are the first I’ve heard of that would make me question digging further into it. If I had a larger tank and didn’t have to fuel up so often I could care less. Lots of power and just regular maintenance thus far.

All the research I’ve done never heard of a crew cab 3/4# 4x4 getting 24mpg +. It might show up while driving best case scenario but doesn’t transfer over to the pump meter.

I have an 09 with a 5 stage EFI live tuned by Idaho Rob before they got shut down. Only mod I’ve done is exhaust to get rid of the EGR. I’m running a short 4” section from down pipe to muffler then 5” out the back. The best mileage I ever got was back and forth to Merritt every 2 weeks and I hit 23mpg only if I never went above 110kph. I usually just leave it on the light tow mode (under 10000lbs) as I’m always towing my boat around. It was explained to me that a reflash of an ecu is better than a piggyback programmer as the motor is doing what the ecu is telling it to rather than a piggybacker telling the computer everything is fine and then telling the motor something else.

Also, piggyback tuners are meant for a wide variety of vehicles. EFI is tuned for your specific vehicle, taking into consideration your tire size, exhaust, intake and how much power you actually want out of it.

this is what gives me some hesitation - even

haha, this is how I feel - simply want some advice on how to improve my mileage and wouldn't even care if I gave up a few hp in the process, but the advice quickly evolves in to something that sounds to me like it is meant to roll coal.
You should be able to get someone to make you a tune that increases your mileage without getting the black smoke, you may get some haze if you really step on it, but for the most part you only get the rolling coal if you have tuned in a bunch of low boost fueling or running a hot tune. Also theres lots of options out there for mufflers etc instead of getting a straight pipe. A lot of guys love the straight pipe myself included but theres ways to get around the super loud diesel and rolling coal, while increasing the life of your engine and gaining some mpg's

My LBZ will never see 24 mpg I dont think. Unless I want to sink a ton of money.

My 06 Cummins would get 25 mpg on the highway. Bone stock. However the truck was a total POS and after a long ride my back hurt. Was so stiff you could put me on a dolly and wheel my butt to the house after. Brutal. What pos trucks. Nice engine though.

I recently purchased a 2006 Silverado Duramax (LBZ).
I have learned that there are are quite a few diesel owners that tune their diesels.
My truck is bone stock, and I only care about longevity and fuel economy, the truck already has ample power.
Figuring there are lots of diesel truck owners on this forum. Have your guys done anything to your truck? Is it worth it?
leave it stock unless you want to replace the transmission

leave it stock unless you want to replace the transmission

That 6 speed allison is good for up to 450 hp all day everyday. And it's also how you drive it. You can grab another 100 ish hp without wearing out the clutches

I recently purchased a 2006 Silverado Duramax (LBZ).
I have learned that there are are quite a few diesel owners that tune their diesels.
My truck is bone stock, and I only care about longevity and fuel economy, the truck already has ample power.
Figuring there are lots of diesel truck owners on this forum. Have your guys done anything to your truck? Is it worth it?
Switched to Shell Rottella 5/40 synthetic engine oil and to synthetic Transynd TES 295 trans oil at 40000 Km
85/140 synthetic in the diff.
Every tank of fuel I add 8 oz of diesel kleen with a TCW 3 2 stroke mix my truck has 458000 Km oil samples prove very low wear metals and I monitor the EGR and Soot in the samples that are done every 22000 Km on an oil change the filter is changed at 12000Km
Starts in -30-_35 no issues not plugged in runs great best thing you can do in my opinion is leave it stock with a stock filter box switch to synthetic and sample it will alert you if there is an Issue. Go to Finning and buy sample bottles and send them to the lab.

Cat Diesel Mechanic for 40 yrs. not my first diesel

The days when fuel was cheap. It's like a faint memory. Batteries are the answer... buhahahahah.

my LBZ averaged 22 going across Canada they are great on fuel
BC driving is a bit different than cross Canada. My commute for over a decade is Kootenays to north island. Nothing flat about that trip, and towing a boat couple times a year to boot. Good luck on 22 pulling the connector and coke HA

Switched to Shell Rottella 5/40 synthetic engine oil and to synthetic Transynd TES 295 trans oil at 40000 Km
85/140 synthetic in the diff.
Every tank of fuel I add 8 oz of diesel kleen with a TCW 3 2 stroke mix my truck has 458000 Km oil samples prove very low wear metals and I monitor the EGR and Soot in the samples that are done every 22000 Km on an oil change the filter is changed at 12000Km
Starts in -30-_35 no issues not plugged in runs great best thing you can do in my opinion is leave it stock with a stock filter box switch to synthetic and sample it will alert you if there is an Issue. Go to Finning and buy sample bottles and send them to the lab.

Cat Diesel Mechanic for 40 yrs. not my first diesel
Agreed good fluids are key for longevity, but in my experience there’s no magic in a wrench or bottle for fuel economy?

Back