Didn't know that gravlax or Lox was usually smoked/ do you smoke yours?

Lox is smoked gravlax is not.... At least that's what I have believed for years.

The term lox is used generically use for cold smoked salmon.

Gravlax, on the other hand, is a specific term that refers to the traditional Scandinavian preparation of cured salmon. That is unsmoked, and traditionally made with a smaller, less fatty salmon, which has sugar, salt, spices, and dill packed around it. The fish is then weighed down and placed in the refrigerator for two to four days to cure.

Gravlax is the traditional cured salmon, the name literally means “grave salmon”, as fishermen would bury their catch in the sand just above the high-tide line. The salt in the sand would cure and preserve the salmon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well when doing cold smoking at home which I have not mastered in any means I use a dry brine of raw sugar and rock salt as to not color the fish. I brine it for about 5-6 days to cure it thru. Then wash it and let it air dry then cold smoke for a day.

But I have never truly been happy with mine.

I do know Islandgirls goes into the smoker for a week.

Lox that is smoked is called 'nova lox'. Not sure if it it one word or not. (novalox ?) I haven't finished the white springs that I have brining, but when I did some coho, I tried a piece before it went into the smoker, and I was sure tempted not to smoke any of it. So I think the brining\curing processes are similiar, and can be as varied as they are for hot smoking, the main thing is to get the fish cured, and flavours are optional.

From Wikipedia....

Nova or Nova Scotia salmon, sometimes called Nova lox, is cured with a milder brine and then cold-smoked. The name dates from a time when much of the salmon in New York City came from Nova Scotia. Today, however, the name refers to the milder brining, as compared to regular lox (or belly lox), and the fish may come from other waters or even be raised on farms.

I thought the name was a way to differentiate between methods of preparing. Guess I was wrong. Is gravlox, (or gravlachs, as I have also seen it referred to) a scandanavian word, or perhaps a gaelic (sp?) word ? If so, I would like to know what the 'nova' means in whatever language that the dish came from. Google here I come !

Inlaws are Finnish and FA's description is bang on for the gravlax my wife makes. Brilliantly easy and a change from smoked fish.

I just made some gravlax with some coho. Salt, lemon juice, brown sugar, dill weed pressed between two glass platters. I set my smoker at 120 for an hour with half the batch. I like the non smoked better.

The process linked below is the one I use. I find it extremely successful and I end up with beautiful Lox. I find that thicker pieces work better than thin and slicing with a razor sharp knife gets you that restaurant presentation. Often what I do is use the salmon that has been vacuum packed in the freezer for 6-8 months and smoke or can that rather than use fresh.

This process isn't mine -- just one I copied. The author emphasizes that the smoker should never get above 90F -- and that is key.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?9134-Lox-(or-Cold-Smoking)&highlight=cold+smoking

I just made some gravlax with some coho. Salt, lemon juice, brown sugar, dill weed pressed between two glass platters. I set my smoker at 120 for an hour with half the batch. I like the non smoked better.
No don't think I have ever seen smoked gravlax... Nor have I seen it made with brown sugar and lemon juice. What you got there by the sounds of it is 1/3 lox 1/3 ceviche 1/3 gravlax

Last edited by a moderator:
the garvlox we always made with my finnish neighbour was sugar salt a pile of fresh dill and a very generous amount of aquavit pressed between two cedar boards and weighted down. then the rest of the aquavit was quickly consumed in many toasts to our hard days work of providing gravlox for our families.

I was inspired by Dog breaths post on lox and made some double brined and smoked Lox
from marbled spring, came out awesome with a velvety taste due to the second wet brine
I'll post up the recipe in the recipe section, I cold smoked using my Bradley with cold smoke adaptor and bottom tray of smoker filled with ice, worked like a charm temps were kept down below 70 with this heat we have

Back